Justiciar Execution Order: what is the activating event?

RokHere

I have the Skyrim book here (Official Game Guide)....apparently the Thalmor attackers are just a random event, no different to Maiq, etc...My Nord is an upstanding good guy in every respect until either Mavern Black-Briar or the Thalmor are involved, he kills every Thalmor he meets on princible and disrupts Mavern as much as the game allows (stealing horse, killing body guards, smuggling mead, etc...).

I had assumed his bloody rampage on the Thalmor had triggered the revenge attempts, unfortunatley not....also unfortunatley cannot stir up Mavern....I feel Bethesda dropped the ball on those two possibilities.

Edited by StayFrosty05

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have a feeling it's after the infiltration of the Thalmor embassy....although I also had an situation where I freed a fellow nord along a road, killed the Thalmor taking him, and then stripped their bodies of their clothes/armour and dumped them over a waterfall...so that could have annoyed them too...

If that was what disturbed them then they will be more disturbed cause I followed the same procedure for the assassination squad as well.

In my game the "Justiciar Execution Order" was immediately issued after I killed Kematu (Alik'r leader).

As soon as I left Swindler's Den, I was accoasted by trio of Thalmor who carried this "Justiciar Execution Order".

It appears tyhe Alik'r mercs were on payroll of Dominion after all.

PS. Hadn't been to Embassy not had any encounters with Thalmor prior to killing Kematu.

Edited by SlackerLX

• 1 month later...
Having checked this out in the Creation Kit I can confirm that these encounters are entirely random with the only condition being that the player is at least level 8. You don't have to have even met a Thalmor, let alone done anything to annoy them.

I believe that this might be caused by doing the Gray-Mane quest "Missing in Action".

If you've done that, this might be the reason for it, I've also encountered this after completing that quest I believe. But I may be wrong, who knows?

Edited by GoldRecord

• 1 year later...

As has been said many times, they have no condition other than being at least Level 8. It is not caused by killing Kematu, it is not caused by turning Saadia over, it is not caused by rifling through Elenwen's solar, it is not caused by thinning the Justiciar herd in Skyrim.

I like the idea of the attacks being related to the player's status as Dragonborn, and also agree that this could have been hinted at a little better, say in the assassination order found on the Justiciars who attack.

However, I also feel that the Thalmor's tendency to attack you on sight, with little to no provocation from the player themselves either in the past or in the moment, reflects the nature of the world we're playing in and the idea that the Thalmor represent. They're the Nazi's. The Gestapo. The special military/law enforcement service who gets to arrest, imprison, or execute anyone they wish under a single, difficult to disprove charge that can be applied to anyone they wish to see eliminated for any reason whatsoever. Whether it's because you're the Dragonborn, or because you've embarrassed/threatened/challenged the Aldmeri Dominion, or accidentally put on brown shoes with a black belt. The Thalmor want you dead because reasons and they said so, so an order is put out under the blanket "Talos worshiper" accusation.

The only way to get the Thalmor and the Dark brotherhood after you is to complete the main quest up until the point where you slay the first dragon and the greybeards call for you.

That's it, nothing more to it than that. Once rumors of the dragon born start to spread you're a wanted wo/man. My best guess is that the Thalmor, who have the most accurate history books out of any of the races on Nirn, remember what happened the last time they tried to conquer a nation with a dragonborn in it. This is a world after all, where myths and legends just so happen to have a good basis in fact. So if I were the head of a group who stood to lose a lot from having a person such as that around, I'd want them dead too.

Interesting. Perhaps there should be a mod that changes the Thalmor Execution Order event to occur after Diplomatic Immunity.

As for the Dark Brotherhood one, who knows. Maybe there should be certain quests that trigger that event like the one where you steal Frost. Maven Black-Briar claimed to have special connections with the Dark Brotherhood after all.