[LE] Draugr animations are so limited. Can extra animations be added?

cumbrianlad

So I've finally sorted my new and improved Draugr race. They all work brilliantly now. I had a problem with the mages and archers because I thought I'd give them daggers, just to be different. In game, the mages would use their spells once and then not attack any more. The archers were fine until they got close and then unequipped their bows and wouldn't fight.

After hours of soul searching (Err, I think that should be template searching), trying things and game testing, I finally noticed that the dead mages and archers had their daggers equipped when they died. I hadn't seen them wielding their daggers when I was pitilessly murdering the unresisting draugr.

Ah ha! A quick check of a regular character showed that there is indeed a separate pair of dagger animations that were absent from the rather basic set that draugr get. I altered my levelled items for the draugr to use the set I'd set up for my 1-handed melee characters and bingo...properly nasty draugr warlocks and archers to contend with.

It seems as if trying to equip something they couldn't use totally messed with their little AI brains, which went into meltdown.

It would be really handy to be able to add and remove animations for actors but I can't see any way to do it. Is it possible?

PeterMartyr,

I'd never heard of it, believe it or not. I've just checked it out and seen it has over 200,000 endorsements for Skyrim. Then again I never made a mod for old skyrim.

I'm using creation kit for Skyrim Special Edition but I notice that Behaviour and spells are on beta release and have been since November. I'll have to read up on it first and see if it's what I want/need.

Thanks for the pointer.

It seems as if trying to equip something they couldn't use totally messed with their little AI brains, which went into meltdown.

It would be really handy to be able to add and remove animations for actors but I can't see any way to do it. Is it possible?

It has nothing to do with AI. The behaviors, which are specially crafted for each race, simply doesn't have implementation for each and every weapon. And if that weapon doesn't exist, the actor will do the next best. Next (best) from the behavior's point of view, not next best what you might think is logical.

Of course, with FNIS you add whatever animation you want, including creatures.

I don't think that FNIS can provide what the OP desires. FNIS functionality for creatures is very limited compared to character behaviors: only idles and sequences of idles. Nothing what can help to add/remove combat animations.

If you, cumbrianlad, want to add other combat animations, you have to do this directly in the "new draugr" behavior files.