Taking assets from other mods: Permission

Zvi

Hey all,

What's the proper 'legitimate' way of taking assets from an other mod (that I didn't make)?

I'd like to use assets from other modders and Ideally I would like to have these assets sitting in my own .esp file instead of referencing the old ones. What I've done so far is copy the content I want and edit it to my own esp. Is that considered 'bad conduct' or will most mod author allow this as long as their original work is mentioned?

The second thing is, what's the proper way to ask a mod author's permission to use his content? Sending a nexus message or something? Up until now I didn't publish anything so I didn't really need anyone's permission, but as this project advances I'm starting to learn which assets are important and which aren't and would probably be needing to ask permission.

Thanks!

tl;dr

-Is it okay if I don't copy a complete mod (that isn't mine) and just use a part of it in my ESP?

-What's the proper way of asking an other modder's permission if I wanna use his content?

What's the proper 'legitimate' way of taking assets from an other mod (that I didn't make)?

I'd like to use assets from other modders and Ideally I would like to have these assets sitting in my own .esp file instead of referencing the old ones. What I've done so far is copy the content I want and edit it to my own esp. Is that considered 'bad conduct' or will most mod author allow this as long as their original work is mentioned?

Each mod page has a permissions tab, where the author can state their stance on content reuse. You should check that tab (or the readme) before making use of anything.

Some might allow repacking of their materials, other may state that you cannot include the actual content in your upload, but that you can tell users to download their file as well to "fill in the blanks" so to speak. It's up to each author how they set their permissions though, so you should make sure of the exact terms before any upload.

The second thing is, what's the proper way to ask a mod author's permission to use his content? Sending a nexus message or something? Up until now I didn't publish anything so I didn't really need anyone's permission, but as this project advances I'm starting to learn which assets are important and which aren't and would probably be needing to ask permission.

Private message on site, or via email if they provide a contact address.

Our two most relevant regulations regarding file uploads and content reuse:

All files uploaded must have been created by the uploader or used with permission from the original author of the content. Such permission must be indicated in the Readme text attached to the file and/or on the Description page (or in the Description field for images), and must be obtained in advance, before uploading the file. If you cannot provide proof of consent then your file will be removed and your account is likely to be banned.

Always provide appropriate credit to authors who have given you permission to use their content in your files both within the file description and within your file readme, even if said content was published as free to use.

*Edit* Ninjaed by TVD.

In the description page of the Mods, there's a "Perm" tab where Author can describe the conditions for using assets.

That can give already some answers.

For the rest, you can place a request for usage in the comment section or send a polite request by PM.

Mod Authors are not forced to answer and they might refuse the use of their assets. In that case, you will have to find alternative.

Same if an Author isn't active anymore.

The main rule is: don't use other mod assets without explicit permissions.

Edited by Guest