Heavy Traffic ×

TES Skyrim Remastered vs Original

valleyofthedolls

I have only played TES V Skyrim on console, and since the remastered special edition came out, I was highly considering getting it for my pc. I was doing some research and began wondering if getting the remastered edition was worth it. I see there are vast amounts of mods for the original one, including retexture mods and such, so would it be better to just get the original legendary game and mod it or spend the extra dollars for the remastered special edition version? Either way I'm probably going to get some mods, but is it really that big of a difference, and do mods for the regular version work with the SE version? I'm just looking for someone's honest opinion. Thanks!

Not all mods work for the Special Edition, but eventually most mods likely will when SKSE64 is finally finished. Now, the original Skyrim is obviously way cheaper and still a lot of fun to mod. If you want to buy a cheaper game with tons of mods that work right now you should get the original Skyrim. However, the new Skyrim is more stable, has better shadows, much shorter loading screens and looks better in Vanilla than the original game does Vanilla. The Special Edition is more difficult to run than the original game though, and that should be taken into consideration. What specs is your PC?

Not all mods work for the Special Edition, but eventually most mods likely will when SKSE64 is finally finished. Now, the original Skyrim is obviously way cheaper and still a lot of fun to mod. If you want to buy a cheaper game with tons of mods that work right now you should get the original Skyrim. However, the new Skyrim is more stable, has better shadows, much shorter loading screens and looks better in Vanilla than the original game does Vanilla. The Special Edition is more difficult to run than the original game though, and that should be taken into consideration. What specs is your PC?

Specs are Intel core i5-2410M CPU 2.30, RAM 8.00 GB, NVIDIA GeForce GT 525.

Not the best, but not the worst. It runs other games without a problem.

From what I can tell Skyrim Special Edition will not run too great with your GPU. A video I looked up showed it running around 21 - 28 fps on the low settings at 1366x768 resolution while outdoors. The original Skyrim seems to run better, but I couldn't find too many good videos showcasing the real fps (software based recording hurts the framerate). I suggest looking up videos of your GPU and how it plays Skyrim and the Skyrim Special Edition and judge for yourself. That's what I do when I need to see if I can run certain games or not. However, I should also note that the original Skyrim also has a really nice selection of mods that can improve your performance - so that is something to consider as well. I suppose they could also work for the Special Edition too (since they're mostly texture based) - but I'm not really sure.

I ran one of those, can you run it?, websites and it said it wouldn't be able to be run, but it also said I couldn't run Sims 4, which I do, so I mean, it's worth a shot I guess. Or I'll stick to console until steam has a sale, or until I upgrade my specs. Still debating. But that's what I wanted an opinion on, I see there are a few retexture mods for the original game, like hd mods or whatever, I didn't look too much into them, but with those mods, I was wondering if it boosts it up to the Special Edition's level of gameplay. I understand SE's graphics would be better, but something that at least competes with it or is a step or two down. There's a lot of things to consider.

Indeed - there really are a lot of options available to you. If you have an Xbox One then modding isn't that bad on that platform from what I have seen online about it. PS4 is going to be a more Vanilla experience sadly. An option for Steam would be to buy the game to see how it runs and return it if it doesn't run well enough for you. If you clock in under an hour of play time on Steam you should be able to get a refund no questions asked. At least that's what their site says, I've never actually returned anything on Steam before.

If you clock in under an hour of play time on Steam you should be able to get a refund no questions asked. At least that's what their site says, I've never actually returned anything on Steam before.

it's two hours not one.

yes the Xbone is alright but the experience is limited due to irritating sorting capability and the storage for mods is really small.

it's two hours not one.

yes the Xbone is alright but the experience is limited due to irritating sorting capability and the storage for mods is really small.

Thanks for the correction! As for the Xbox thing, I can agree that Bethesda's menu for modding is a bit cumbersome (I've used on PC a few times) - but I would say modding on it would be better than playing it on PC if you're getting really bad framerates on your PC. That's why I suggested it as an alternative if it turns out it doesn't run well on their PC.

it's two hours not one.

Thanks for the correction! As for the Xbox thing, I can agree that Bethesda's menu for modding is a bit cumbersome (I've used on PC a few times) - but I would say modding on it would be better than playing it on PC if you're getting really bad framerates on your PC. That's why I suggested it as an alternative if it turns out it doesn't run well on their PC.

oh i agree. it isnt perfect but it isnt all to bad for what it is.