Eve Online Log

samroski

My advice is still to join EVE uni, at least for a month or two. Running a corp is expensive, and you will gain nothing from it until you know more about the game, and what you want to do in it. And not reading any external tutorials is a bad idea; a lot of what I've learnt has been from tutorials on websites. For example, a great podcast for new players is The Drone Bay. The e-uni forums have a vast collection of tutorials and guides as well, though you have to be a member of the corp to view them. There are others around too; just search the official eve forums. But most importantly of all, have fun! :)

• Replies 222
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And I may yet take your advice term. About the tutorials- I have nothing against them. It is just that I don't feel like reading them right now. If you remember it was after your post about eve university with ref. to the curriculum for tescc that got me to try the game. As soon as I join eve univ. I promise to let them train me to their liking. Had I managed to complete that damn 10th mission I would have certainly been in eve univ. already. But life has strange twists and turns...

Edit: I have no idea about the financial implications of running a corporation- so will check before I start. Can you like end up in debt?

Also thank you for pointing me in the right direction. I will certainly check each one of your suggested links (some time later)

You were lucky going through those low sec systems - Rancer can be nasty at times. In a fast frigate you usually have a pretty good chance of getting through low sec camps (unless you encounter a smartbombing camp) since most camps won't be able to lock you fast enough before you can warp away.

First time I went through Rancer and the neighbouring low sec systems the stargates were decorated with frozen corpses...

If you want to play it safe (and you're flying anything bigger than a frigate) set your autopilot to 'prefer safer' which will avoid systems below 0.5 security where possible (usually results in a much longer route though)

Your main expense in running a corporation is office rent - this can vary hugely depending on location (I've seen rents of 11000 isk and 100 million isk per month). Renting an office gives you a corp hangar where corp assets can be stored and shared between members. You control access to the hangars by giving roles to people. Roles also control who can do what within the corporation - eg accept applications, rent offices, take cash out of the corp wallet etc.

Be aware that there are corp thieves who will try to get as much access as they can, then walk off with whatever they can steal, so be careful who you give roles to, and what roles you give them.

One other thing to bear in mind if you're setting up your own corp is that you can be war decced by anyone wanting to grief you.

sam... could you not put out an appeal to other NOOBS, on EVE, to think about joining up with you? And could there not be a pooling of resources of all interested N's? Of course, a certain amount of trust would be required, but.... If I was playing EVE, I think that I would like the idea of getting in on the ground floor of something like a corporation whatsit. The learning curve would be steep, but fun... I guess.

Speaking of trust... do you KNOW this Lemming character? He looks and sounds rather dodgy to me. Seriously crusty! How did you know that he wasn't waiting to ambush you when you arrived? I think I've run into him on other sites. Don't turn your back on him! And don't lend him money.

Add Edit: Theta just posted before I got this on. Am even more impressed that sam... did not end up as scrap! All that Theta says is v. wise but... surely the idea of any game is to have fun and what could be more fun than sticking one's neck out.

First time I went through Rancer and the neighbouring low sec systems the stargates were decorated with frozen corpses...

yikes!!!

If you want to play it safe (and you're flying anything bigger than a frigate) set your autopilot to 'prefer safer' which will avoid systems below 0.5 security where possible (usually results in a much longer route though)

I was looking for this feature when i set course- in fact if I had known that it was there I would have taken 50 jumps if required- as long as it was safe. The amazing thing was that the fear was palpable. I kept telling myself (and Lemming) that it was only a game, but it felt much more real than that.

Your main expense in running a corporation is office rent -

Be aware that there are corp thieves

at you can be war decced by anyone wanting to grief you.

Thank you for your advise. I had not thought about thieves- no wonder you would want to screen somebody before accepting them. My sympathies are with the blackwolves.

will try and check on the rent

about war- our corporation is going to be so pathetic that firstly they will not gain much by declaring war on us- but if they do they will find us willing victims to their massacre :)

sam... could you not put out an appeal to other NOOBS, on EVE, to think about joining up with you? And could there not be a pooling of

I suppose so. I do not know how one finds other new players- there must be a way- as the black wolves contacted me- will check. How will we know that they are not thieves? Not that they will be able to steal much - but still. My gut feeling on this is to stick in there for a few days- make money, make a corp, and then take things as they come, and recruit members as when. In case I can find some newbies, I will certainly contact them. But what if you as a new player are contacted by somebody who ask for money? Very few people would agree- unless you already know them

Speaking of trust... do you KNOW this Lemming character? He looks and sounds rather dodgy to me. Seriously crusty! How did you know that he wasn't waiting to ambush you when you arrived? I think I've run into him on other sites. Don't turn your back on him! And don't lend him money.

Add Edit: Theta just posted before I got this on. Am even more impressed that sam... did not end up as scrap! All that Theta says is v. wise but... surely the idea of any game is to have fun and what could be more fun than sticking one's neck out.

I will keep your advise in mind when dealing with Lemming. About the ambush- if you had seen his ship - you would have had no such worries.

And yes- sticking my neck out was adrenaline filled fun- no doubt

Wondering whether it is best to leave ship in a pod just before the shields give out- or whether it is better to go down with the ship, I engaged the autopilot.

I don't know if you know, or just cba, or you do do it...but you should really only use autopilot if you're doing a load of jumps through high-sec empire and want to go take a shower or something. Don't use it when you have valuable stuff (more than 100m) in your hold or through low-sec because people can and will kill you easily.

Instead you should plot your course, find the gate that is yellow in your overview, right click it and select "warp to within 0 km". This will warp you dead on top of the gate so you can instantly jump to the next system as soon as you have finished warp. It not only saves 1 - 5 minutes on each jump but also greatly increases your chance of survival.

As I said, you might already be doing it. I know it took me a few days to work it out and it's a real time saver.

If you're in a fast ship (frigate or shuttle) then you will almost guarantee your safety in low sec (but not 0.0) as Interdictors can't bubble gates in low-sec. Bubbles are big deadspace spheres, up to about 25km in width, that you can't warp out of when inside. As Theta says, the only thing that will be able to get you is a smartbomber who is gate camping, and they're pretty rare. I've never seen one gate camp...but then again, I live in Fountain, which is pretty carebear.

You've not heard of the mothership camps in Tama, Aunenen and I think Otou? Low sec mothership camps used to be all the rage... I think it was The Establishment who 'invented' mothership piracy in low sec with their famous Nyx, Hera, but I could be wrong there (luckily I was never on the receiving end of Hera's officer smartbombs! :D )

And if you're transporting anything of value in a ship that's easily killable (frigate, shuttle, industrial) do not use autopilot. There's usually no shortage of suicide gankers in the 0.5 and 0.6 systems along the major trade routes, waiting for a juicy target to warp in on autopilot.

They will have an accomplice who scans your cargo - often using a passive targetter so you don't even know you're being locked - and reports back anything promising to the combat ship. Then, when you come out of warp 15km from the gate on autopilot, the combat ship - usually a cheap battlecruiser - blows you up in the hope that enough of your cargo survives to make a profit. This cargo is picked up by an accomplice while concord blows up the suicide ganker.

After insurance and with basic T1 mods fitted, suiciding a Brutix costs around 3.5 mil (or used to - don't know what Brutix prices are like atm) - so you don't even have to carry all that much of value.

A cheaply fitted T1 Brutix with overloaded blasters can easily blow up an Iteron V in a 0.5 system before concord have put down their donuts and coffee and sprung into action.

I don't know if you know, or just cba, or you do do it...but you should really only use autopilot if you're

I was not doing all this and this is valuable advice- will follow.

If you're in a fast ship (frigate or shuttle) then you will almost guarantee your safety in low sec (but not 0.0)

Feel much better informed to negotiate low sec space now. Will check and make sure I have a frigate or shuttle.

Gate camping and smartbombing sound like fun. These are now on top of the under-consideration list of objectives of our future corporation.

You've not heard of the mothership camps in Tama, Aunenen and I think Otou?

:) no had not heard of these motherships. I have added this to the list of objectives of our corp:

establish a mothership camp in low sec with a fleet of officers with smartbombs

gankers in the 0.5 and 0.6 systems along the major trade routes, waiting for a juicy target to warp in on autopilot.

They will have an accomplice who scans your cargo -

so you don't even have to carry all that much of value.

My accomplice Lemming would be most suited to be a "ganker".

Ignorance can be bliss- had I known all this my stress levels would have been a much higher through the low sec journey on autopilot!

The fact that I had nothing of value on me probably helped.