MDB to FBX, FBX to MDB converter

FreshLook

• Replies 353
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

I achieved decoding all the data from several gr2 animation files. There's data that I don't know its meaning yet:

- Vector Tracks: I don't know what this is used for and when I look at the data it looks like garbage.

- Transform LOD errors: I think NWN2 uses LOD for skins but not for skeletons, and the data looks like garbage anyway.

- Position, Orientation and Scale-Shear of bones: This is the data that seems relevant and I think I understand it. The data makes sense to me.

I will try to visualize an animation.

Edited by FreshLook

@FreshLook

I am very lucky to have stumbled across this thread because I was just about to embark on this same path. My particular use case is to import MDB/GR2 into the Amazon Lumberyard game engine (which supports FBX).

Do you have the source for this converter on github or some other repository? Do you need/want help with the development? It looks like your pretty darn close to having this complete, but I'd love to help in anyway possible.

Greetings @Snowmane72,

I'm in the phase of investigating the GR2 file format in depth and writing quick and dirty code to solve all the unknowns as early as possible so I can continue with the confidence that I'll be able to achieve all the goals. At this stage I'm not sure how you could help me and the code isn't in a state that is ready to share yet. In a next phase I would release code and binaries and then I could get help even if it's just testing.

I achieved decoding all the data from several gr2 animation files. [...]

Great news! But do you mean *_skel.gr2 files (the ones defining the creatures' skeletons, as in post #13), or all gr2 files? (meaning in that case we won't need to have 3ds max 8 and the Expotron plugin to be able to create new animations)

I'll sure keep on checking this thread regularly.

I achieved decoding all the data from several gr2 animation files. [...]

Great news! But do you mean *_skel.gr2 files (the ones defining the creatures' skeletons, as in post #13), or all gr2 files? (meaning in that case we won't need to have 3ds max 8 and the Expotron plugin to be able to create new animations)

I'll sure keep on checking this thread regularly.

I mean gr2 files that contain an animation like P_HHM_UnA_idle.gr2. As far as I know, NWN2 has gr2 files that only contain a skeleton and gr2 files that only contain an animation. I already decoded and converted to FBX a gr2 with a skeleton (post #13 was P_HHM_skel.gr2). Now I decoded gr2 files with animations. The next milestone is to dump an animation to a FBX and visualize it like I did with a skeleton. So I think I'm able to decode all gr2 files (though I will need more tests).

Until I'm not able to generate gr2 files and get them working in NWN2 I can't guarantee an alternative to Exportron. I'm focused in investigating the gr2 format so I can announce as a soon as possible that an alternative is possible.