New Vegas Missing Hair Glitch Alternatives?

Quilim

I recently came back to New Vegas only to find that no one in the game had any hair (including beards), even with only NVSE and NVAC installed (as pictured here: http://imgur.com/a/z2Gyv ). After a while of searching the only solution that I have seen posted is to download a previous version of my NVIDIA drivers. Those posts are quite old and I was wondering if there is an alternate solution to this problem as I have no desire to use previous versions of my driver as it will be incompatible with other more recent games that I play. The loss of hair seems to be the only problem that I am encountering with or without mods and it is impossible to run the game without NVAC.

I recently came back to New Vegas only to find that no one in the game had any hair (including beards), even with only NVSE and NVAC installed (as pictured here: http://imgur.com/a/z2Gyv ). After a while of searching the only solution that I have seen posted is to download a previous version of my NVIDIA drivers. Those posts are quite old and I was wondering if there is an alternate solution to this problem as I have no desire to use previous versions of my driver as it will be incompatible with other more recent games that I play. The loss of hair seems to be the only problem that I am encountering with or without mods and it is impossible to run the game without NVAC.

Make sure you have the latest version of NVAC, 7.5.1.0 dated 28Oct2016.

Make sure you have the latest version of NVAC, 7.5.1.0 dated 28Oct2016.

I've double checked and even reinstalled NVAC and I am certain it is up to date yet hair is still missing

Let's go back a step and get some basic information before assuming it's the video driver. (A good guess, but now it seems not the cause as the NVAC update solved that issue for most people.)

Is this a Windows 10 system? 32-bit or 64-bit? (Assuming you meet the minimum system requirements.)

Are you using an FNV4GB Loader such as 4GB Fallout New Vegas Updated or an LAA flag Patcher like FNV 4GB Patcher?

Did this happen when you first installed the vanilla game, before you attempted to install ANY mods?

Have you installed any texture replacements or custom body mods? Used the "racemenu"?

Are you using a mod manager, and if so which one? (This is important because not all managers restore vanilla files when a mod is "inactive".)

Do you have the 32-bit DirectX 9 drivers installed?

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Let's go back a step and get some basic information before assuming it's the video driver. (A good guess, but now it seems not the cause as the NVAC update solved that issue for most people.)

Is this a Windows 10 system? 32-bit or 64-bit? (Assuming you meet the minimum system requirements.)

Are you using an FNV4GB Loader such as 4GB Fallout New Vegas Updated or an LAA flag Patcher like FNV 4GB Patcher?

Did this happen when you first installed the vanilla game, before you attempted to install ANY mods?

Have you installed any texture replacements or custom body mods? Used the "racemenu"?

Are you using a mod manager, and if so which one? (This is important because not all managers restore vanilla files when a mod is "inactive".)

Do you have the 32-bit DirectX 9 drivers installed?

-Dubious-

I run windows 10 64-bit, I am very much over the requirements for the game it runs very well, I previously used 4GB Fallout New Vegas Updated but then switched to FNV 4GB Patcher, with or without them the problem persists. The game is incapable of loading without NVAC but with only that and the vanilla game the problem persists, I previously tried installing a version of fallout character overhaul but with or without it hair textures are still missing. I've used FOMM but also tried using Nexus Mod Manager prior but I have deleted the entire folder (and its Mygames folder) and reinstalled the game multiple times to be sure that the files are vanilla when I attempt to re-mod them and I have whatever is installed upon running fallout through steam which I assume includes directX 9.

Edited by Quilim

Thanks for the info: it does help.

As mentioned, the Nov 2016 Win10 updates should fix any WDDK based issues with video drivers or previous updates. If you haven't applied them for some reason, you need to do that first (and reboot even if the update doesn't force it, to be on the safe side).

When you install "overhaul" mods like FCO, various vanilla files in the BSAs are superseded by ArchiveInvalidation, or overwritten if they exist as "loose" files. But if you have completely deleted the entire folder (including the one under "MyGames"), you should not require any mod just to start the vanilla game. And you certainly should have the hair in vanilla. Which leads to my question about DirectX 9.

I recently helped someone else with Win10 who has problems getting the game to start along with texture issues. It turned out he needed to manually install the "DirectX 9 Runtime Libraries" the game is expecting. See "Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup" in the Fallout NV Mod Troubleshooting" guide for details. This may or may not solve your missing hair problem, but getting the vanilla game to start properly is the first step. (Not to say you don't need NVAC for other reasons. Just that it shouldn't be needed to get the game to start.)

Once that is done, if you still have issues I suggest you install NVSE and enable "game error logging" as detailed in "Checklist item #4" of the same guide. Then we can see if that tells us anything.

-Dubious-

Thanks for the info: it does help.

As mentioned, the Nov 2016 Win10 updates should fix any WDDK based issues with video drivers or previous updates. If you haven't applied them for some reason, you need to do that first (and reboot even if the update doesn't force it, to be on the safe side).

When you install "overhaul" mods like FCO, various vanilla files in the BSAs are superseded by ArchiveInvalidation, or overwritten if they exist as "loose" files. But if you have completely deleted the entire folder (including the one under "MyGames"), you should not require any mod just to start the vanilla game. And you certainly should have the hair in vanilla. Which leads to my question about DirectX 9.

I recently helped someone else with Win10 who has problems getting the game to start along with texture issues. It turned out he needed to manually install the "DirectX 9 Runtime Libraries" the game is expecting. See "Issue: Vanilla game Hangs on startup" in the Fallout NV Mod Troubleshooting" guide for details. This may or may not solve your missing hair problem, but getting the vanilla game to start properly is the first step. (Not to say you don't need NVAC for other reasons. Just that it shouldn't be needed to get the game to start.)

Once that is done, if you still have issues I suggest you install NVSE and enable "game error logging" as detailed in "Checklist item #4" of the same guide. Then we can see if that tells us anything.

-Dubious-

This computer is relatively new and unless there is a specific way to only allow certain section of windows 10 updates, it should be fully up to date. I followed the instruction and completed the download and the same issues persisted (crash without NVAC, no hair with NVAC).

NVSE logs without NVAC (there was nothing in error log): https://docs.google.com/document/d/1ZuuwpOHGswx-IFZggCC_K5KFg-oy4rdbhe9gU_gaAZk/edit?usp=sharing

NVSE logs with NVAC: https://docs.google.com/document/d/1NTUsolfj1GzQk0zvMpxHW9Sh804p26Hfw3FVUzAJdNg/edit?usp=sharing

Unless you (or whomever set up your system) configured "Windows Update" to NOT automatically install updates, that is the default and you should be getting them at least monthly as long as you have an Internet connection. See this "How to manage Windows Update in Windows 10" article on the basics every user should know, whether you have automatic updates or not. Among other things it shows you how to check your settings.

Both of those logs are "havok" logs, and reporting on "D:\_Fallout3\" NIF file issues. (Actually on the same NIF file apparently at a quick glance.) So I need to ask if you are running FO3, FNV in an old FO3 folder tree, or TTW? (Re-purposing old folders causes confusion like this.) If you aren't running TTW, then the registry is confused as to where your FNV game is installed. Which means you need to uninstall it through Steam or the Control Panel, reboot, and install from Steam again to your "D:\" folder for FNV so the registry gets properly updated. One safe way to test the registry is to install a tool designed for use with multiple games (like LOOT) and see if it properly detects your game and it's location.

Those havok logs are produced by the game engine and not NVSE. There should be an "falloutnv_error.log" with at least the following regardless:

Fallout: New Vegas
Computer Name: <Whatever>
Initializing Renderer...
Create D3D9 instance...SUCCESSFUL

NiDX9Renderer::Initialize> Attempting to create rendering device

NiDX9Renderer::Create> Using D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 backbuffer format

Initializing Shader System...

It's absence means you aren't even getting to the point where that gets started, or that NVSE is not installed correctly, or the log file can't be created. The havok log suggests you installed to the "D:" drive, which should get you past any permissions issues, but have you checked that the game folder is set to allow "Everyone" full control? See the "Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10" article. (When you create a new folder it inherits the default permissions from the drive (i.e. "D:\"). By default this does not give the "Everyone" group full access, but "Read Only" which means the game can't create new files like logs.)

The NVSE logs will be in the game root folder (i.e. "<SteamInstallPath>\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas") and named:

"nvse_steam_loader.log" (created when NVSE is started as part of Steam "authorizing" and loading the game)

"nvse.log" (the "errors" reported by NVSE from mods)

"nvse_loader.log" (if you have it working with GECK)

There may be some others, depending upon what else is installed. The "loader" logs will be relatively short but tell you that NVSE initialized. See the wiki article "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" if you have a large "nvse.log" you need to trim down to post here.

-Dubious-

Edited by dubiousintent

Unless you (or whomever set up your system) configured "Windows Update" to NOT automatically install updates, that is the default and you should be getting them at least monthly as long as you have an Internet connection. See this "How to manage Windows Update in Windows 10" article on the basics every user should know, whether you have automatic updates or not. Among other things it shows you how to check your settings.

Both of those logs are "havok" logs, and reporting on "D:\_Fallout3\" NIF file issues. (Actually on the same NIF file apparently at a quick glance.) So I need to ask if you are running FO3, FNV in an old FO3 folder tree, or TTW? (Re-purposing old folders causes confusion like this.) If you aren't running TTW, then the registry is confused as to where your FNV game is installed. Which means you need to uninstall it through Steam or the Control Panel, reboot, and install from Steam again to your "D:\" folder for FNV so the registry gets properly updated. One safe way to test the registry is to install a tool designed for use with multiple games (like LOOT) and see if it properly detects your game and it's location.

Those havok logs are produced by the game engine and not NVSE. There should be an "falloutnv_error.log" with at least the following regardless:

Fallout: New Vegas

Computer Name: <Whatever>

Initializing Renderer...

Create D3D9 instance...SUCCESSFUL

NiDX9Renderer::Initialize> Attempting to create rendering device

NiDX9Renderer::Create> Using D3DFMT_X8R8G8B8 backbuffer format

Initializing Shader System...

It's absence means you aren't even getting to the point where that gets started, or that NVSE is not installed correctly, or the log file can't be created. The havok log suggests you installed to the "D:" drive, which should get you past any permissions issues, but have you checked that the game folder is set to allow "Everyone" full control? See the "Take ownership of files and get full access in Windows 10" article. (When you create a new folder it inherits the default permissions from the drive (i.e. "D:\"). By default this does not give the "Everyone" group full access, but "Read Only" which means the game can't create new files like logs.)

The NVSE logs will be in the game root folder (i.e. "<SteamInstallPath>\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas") and named:

"nvse_steam_loader.log" (created when NVSE is started as part of Steam "authorizing" and loading the game)

"nvse.log" (the "errors" reported by NVSE from mods)

"nvse_loader.log" (if you have it working with GECK)

There may be some others, depending upon what else is installed. The "loader" logs will be relatively short but tell you that NVSE initialized. See the wiki article "How to read most Bethesda game error logs" if you have a large "nvse.log" you need to trim down to post here.

-Dubious-

Sorry i'm a tad confused and i'll get to doing that stuff but I don't have a D: drive I only have a C: and all the fallout stuff gets installed to there (Also I haven't installed FO3 or TTW)

Edited by Quilim