Generic settler conversations

ravayen

Sometimes when you sneak up on raiders they have some of the best conversations and in many places like diamond city i've seen conversations between npcs that aren't verbally location specific or scripted events and would be more than fitting in a settlement.

I would love to see a mod that adds any and all usable npc conversations from all dlcs to the settlers as currently the only mods ive seen either shut them up entirely or simply stop them saying hello to player comments so much.

The point of this mod would be to make the player less center of attention and also add well life basically to the oh so cardboard cutout robo...i mean people.

I'm sure it would take a number of faction/condition/voice type changes and after looking in fo4edit its too daunting for me tbh.

If anyone is willing/capable of making a mod like this i would suggest keeping quest conditions intact so progress in the game is felt when hanging out in settlements.

• 2 months later...

after exploring fo4edit thoroughly ive come to the conclusion that going through the quest for each dlc and selecting npc conversation quests that are suitable to be used elsewhere like the vault settlers from vault workshop talking about deathclaw fights or the vanilla farm convos that only happen in farms and simply removing some conditions from them would do exactly what i want but......

there are 2 sets of conditions that confuse me one under conditions and one under aliases (brain hurts) if someone could make this mod it would make settlements more alive with a hell of a lot more conversations between settlers and not just aimed at the player.

I'm also open to a very detailed and yet very simple tutorial to explain these conditions to me as the ones ive found dont explain the conditions effectively (even the official beth one) they kindof expect you to already know.

If you want to explain it to me please use dialoguefarmgeneric9 as an example describing exactly why the edits you mention are being made in order to get it to play out in all settlements except the slog as im pretty sure id be able to work it out from there and maybe even release my first ever fallout mod :smile:

p.s.

for some reason installing the creation kit messes up something in my registry and screws my game up until i uninstall and fix registry entries (god only knows why) so im stuck using f04edit.

Edited by ravayen

From what I understand, this is how these dialogue quests work:

The conditions for the quest all use GetIsFaction. They specify which lines of dialogue members of factions can and cannot deliver. In the case of DialogueFarmGeneric9, the conditions are set so that any NPC that is part of the workshop system can deliver them, while NPCs that belong to certain specific farm factions in addition to the generic workshop faction (mostly named NPCs) cannot.

Besides this, however, the Event manager for DialogueFarmGeneric9 specifices that it can only take place at certain locations. Locations are determined by listing cells, and in the case of DialogueFarmGeneric these only include Tenpines Bluff, Nordhagen Beach, Oberland Station, Country Crossing, Greentop Nursery and Somverville Place.

In order to introduce new lines of dialogue you will either have to introduce more Locations to the Event manager quest list, or remove the location requirement and apply the above faction requirements (I'd do the latter). I think that you can also introduce new lines of dialogue for settlers by applying the appropriate conditions to other quests and adding these quests to the GenericFarmConversationScene quest node.

I have no clue how to do any of this in FO4Edit, so I can't help you there.

Edited by Giggilyomeromicon

thanks for the continued help i think ive got it working now but tbh im pretty sure its messy and was prob just luck but wouldnt have done it without ya guidance thanks :smile:

If i figure it out enough to be confident which changes did and just as importantly did not do it i'll post exactly how here for anyone looking thanks again.

Edited by ravayen

Anyone who reads this and wants to do a similar thing i've since found out you need to make changes to the conditions in 'actor dialogue event' which is found in story manager (sm event node) otherwise the quest will never fire in the first place regardless of condition changes in the conversation quest.

• 5 months later...

Did anyone ever pick this up I've been away for some time and recently came back to the game and looked around but couldn't find any dialogue mods that did anything but restrict berating comments what i would love to see is.

1-existing generic conversation quests unlocked for settlers.

2-raider conversations unlocked for settlers

3-conversations form previous fallout games added to settlers

4-location based conversations that would fit anywhere

Currently the settlers wander around almost silently except for the odd one liners and never interact with each other with the exception of the unique settlers like mama murphy or abernathy farm.

I'd love to walk into my settlements and find settlers in constant conversation with each other like in real life with as many varying conversation topics as possible.

I tried to look at dialogue modding when i first made this post but that was some time ago and a lot of it didnt seem to do what i thought it would do when i tried and i'm hoping some modder out there who just loves modding (which i dont i prefer installing) will come along and bring those walking statues to life it may seem small but it would add a massive amount to immersion in the game once you saw it in action there is so much dialogue wasted by restrictions over the dlc's and previous games that i'm sure a budding modder could go quite insane with this if they wanted to.

Edited by ravayen

just checked that out thnx it's a good mod, doesn't do anything with conversations between settlers it would seem but i did post asking him if he'd take a look at this you never know he might it seems like his area of modding for sure and adding conversations would go a long way to make the player character less like the center of the universe so heres hoping :)

That said if anyone else feels up to the challenge............