Skyrim only freezes on exit when set to proper resolution

RavenProj

Problem:
When I exit the game in my proper resolution (2560x1440), my whole screen is stuck in a black screen. The only way of going back to windows is by manually restarting the system. The game only exits safely when it is set on any other resolution (windowed or not). I have tried: removing all mods, reinstalling the game twice, verifying integrity of game files - still the same problem.

Backstory:

I was only able to play the game before because I had mistakenly set it to 3620x2036, which ran smoothly so I did not notice. After setting it to my proper resolution, I've been getting the freezes.

My Specs:

• Intel Core i7-6700K
  • Corsair H100i v2
  • Asus Z170-A ATX LGA1151
  • Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB
  • Crucial MX300 525GB 2.5" SSD
  • Western Digital Caviar Blue 2TB
  • Zotac GeForce GTX 1080 8GB AMP! Edition
  • Corsair RMx 750x 80+ Gold
  • Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Tempered
  • Asus PG279Q
  • Corsair K70 RGB RAPIDFIRE
  • Logitech G502
  • Windows 10 Home
  • Phanteks Enthoo Evolve Tempered

Other Info:

• I have the latest versions of NMM, Mod Manager, SKSE, and Loot but they are inactive
  • After uninstalling the game, I've deleted the game files. I have attached an image below of what it looks like now.

Game Location:

• D:\MGA GAMES\steamapps\common\Skyrim

â

Game version:

DLCs:

• None, I have the High Res pack but is inactive

Previous Mods:

Thank you so much! Have a nice day :smile:

Try deleting your .ini files located in your mydocuments/my games/skyrim folder. Should be skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini. Then restart the game in the launcher and let it detect your video settings.

Hi Snelss0!

It didn't work :sad: I have plans on getting the Legendary Edition, if I get it - would that help? I'm not sure if getting it creates a new game or not.

Thank you!

Also, try clearing your game cache through Steam in addition to snelss0's advice.

The Legendary Edition is very worth having because of all the content it adds. Also, a LOT of mods require one or more of the DLCs, so having LE takes care of that. The only "downside" to LE is that random vampire attacks (and to a lesser extent, dragon attacks) can rapidly de-populate the villages and cities of Skyrim.

Fortunately, modders once again come to our rescue with mods like:

Run For Your Lives by Arthmoor. Makes "civilian" NPCs run away and hide in buildings when a dragon attacks.

When Vampires Attack by Arthmoor. Does the same thing as "Run For Your Lives" except for vampires.

Timing Is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control by kryptopyr. Let's you set when attacks by vampires, cultists, dragons (or just about everything else) actually occurs, how often, and with what ferocity. Also blocks or delays certain quests so you don't have to be bothered by them while your concentrating on another quest.

Also, try clearing your game cache through Steam in addition to snelss0's advice.

The Legendary Edition is very worth having because of all the content it adds. Also, a LOT of mods require one or more of the DLCs, so having LE takes care of that. The only "downside" to LE is that random vampire attacks (and to a lesser extent, dragon attacks) can rapidly de-populate the villages and cities of Skyrim.

Fortunately, modders once again come to our rescue with mods like:

Run For Your Lives by Arthmoor. Makes "civilian" NPCs run away and hide in buildings when a dragon attacks.

When Vampires Attack by Arthmoor. Does the same thing as "Run For Your Lives" except for vampires.

Timing Is Everything - Quest Delay and Timing Control by kryptopyr. Let's you set when attacks by vampires, cultists, dragons (or just about everything else) actually occurs, how often, and with what ferocity. Also blocks or delays certain quests so you don't have to be bothered by them while your concentrating on another quest.

Hi LeddBate!

Clearing my game cache still caused the game to freeze on exit :sad: I've also contacted Bethesda Support, they've told me that resolutions beyond 1080p have technical issues that they cannot address anymore. Also, I've just optimised my game through GeForce Experience - they recommend using 4k resolution though.

If I get the Legendary Edition, will it just create another game or replace my Vanilla Skyrim with the Legendary Edition?

Thank you so much - and with the addition of the the mods :laugh: very helpful when I get the upgrade!

Hi LeddBate!

Clearing my game cache still caused the game to freeze on exit :sad: I've also contacted Bethesda Support, they've told me that resolutions beyond 1080p have technical issues that they cannot address anymore. Also, I've just optimised my game through GeForce Experience - they recommend using 4k resolution though.

If I get the Legendary Edition, will it just create another game or replace my Vanilla Skyrim with the Legendary Edition?

Thank you so much - and with the addition of the the mods :laugh: very helpful when I get the upgrade!

I don't recommend using Bethesda's high-resolution packs. Too many experienced people here at the Nexus have given those packs the thumbs-down. Besides, there are so many better texture mods available here on the Nexus.

LE will replace your standard Skyrim, so you will still only have one Skyrim in your Steam library. The good news is that saves should still work. However, some mods you might have associated with those saves will be for "vanilla" only and therefore you might have issues with your saves due to that.

Best way to start a mod list is to check out the top 100 rated mods of all time (via endorsements) and see which ones interest you. USLEEP, SKSE and SkyUI are a must in my opinion. Arthmoor makes fantastic mods mainly centered on "fixing" annoying and/or missing things in Skyrim. Elianora makes the best house mods.

Only add a few mods until you've escaped from Helgen (completed "Unbound".) Because the intro sequence is heavily scripted and adding a hundred or so mods at the beginning of the game might cause the engine to choke and cause you to CTD. Make sure you read each mod's description carefully to avoid conflicts.