Scripting Challenge: Limb-Specific Armor Damage Resistance

shwowsh

I've been thinking about this one for a while, and I asked about it on the Bethesda forums way back when. Got some traffic, but no one responded to the idea. I am papyrus-challenged and I think, now that modders have been experimenting with FO4's scripting functions a little more, maybe this mechanic will be feasible.

It always bothered me that limb-based armor (a hugely welcome addition in itself) contributed to an actor's total damage resistance value. So the helmet you're wearing will contribute to protecting you from getting shot in the leg. I think it would be pretty sweet to have armor that only protected the limb it was on. Make for more deliberation when selecting what to wear, human enemies have dynamic weak spots, etc.

I don't know if there's space within the events that occur when a player is hit with an attack, but I can see an obvious way to approach this conceptually:

On an actor's being hit, his damage resistance actor value is modded to the value of the piece of armor on the limb that was hit. Armor piercing rounds "mod target damage resistance," so we would be doing the same thing but retrieving that value from a worn item.

In the onHit event, the parameter apMaterial tells the script which limb was hit. That's all I got. There are "perk entry points" that seem to do very promising things - maybe a script extender is needed here?

• 4 weeks later...

I managed to get limb based armors working and location damages although its a logical nightmare

It will be part of a total conversion style mod and will be releasing a demo video of sorts soon

I'll link the video here when its done