How do I make this guy explode?

americanwierdo

How's that for an attention grabber?

As an Easter Egg, I want to have a character who can be triggered to explode through dialogue.

My question is: how can I write a script (preferably in dialogue) that will cause him to exit from dialogue and then immediately explode?

Now, there are two kinds of explosions and either of them could work. There is the one where he just suddenly erupts into a rain of gore in front of you like NPCs do if you have the Bloody mess perk. Or he can explode in a way that in harms the player.

Do you guys know how to do either?

Anything you can tell me will be appreciated.

-Americanwierdo.

If all else fails, you could place an explosion right on top of him. Something like 'thisguyRef.placeatme (explosion formID)'

You can make a custom explosion under the explosion category of the special effects menu in the object window, even making it silent, invisible, and localized in a very close proximity to the actor as not to harm anyone who isn't extremely close to them.

I think there's also a way to dismember specific body parts, like when a slave collar goes off or when you take one of the fiends' heads in 3 card bounty, but I don't know how off the top of my head, you'd need to look at the scripts that do it.

I think there's also a way to dismember specific body parts, like when a slave collar goes off or when you take one of the fiends' heads in 3 card bounty, but I don't know how off the top of my head, you'd need to look at the scripts that do it.

ActorRef.kill KillerActorRef BodyPart CauseOfDeath

Example for an exploding slave collar, using an unused NPC ref for the killer (so no one in-game gets blamed for killing him):

ExplodeyGuyREF.kill UnusedNPCREF 1 0

Body Part:

0 - Torso

1 - Head1

2 - Head2

3 - LeftArm1

4 - LeftArm2

5 - RightArm1

6 - RightArm2

7 - LeftLeg1

8 - LeftLeg2

9 - LeftLeg3

10 - RightLeg1

11 - RightLeg2

12 - RightLeg3

13 - Brain

14 - Weapon

Cause of death:

NONE = -1

EXPLOSION = 0

GUN = 2

BLUNT_WEAPON = 3

HAND_TO_HAND = 4

OBJECT_IMPACT = 5

POISON = 6

RADIATION = 7

Example for an exploding slave collar, using an unused NPC ref for the killer (so no one in-game gets blamed for killing him):

Body Part:

0 - Torso

1 - Head1

2 - Head2

3 - LeftArm1

4 - LeftArm2

5 - RightArm1

6 - RightArm2

7 - LeftLeg1

8 - LeftLeg2

9 - LeftLeg3

10 - RightLeg1

11 - RightLeg2

12 - RightLeg3

13 - Brain

14 - Weapon

Cause of death:

NONE = -1

EXPLOSION = 0

GUN = 2

BLUNT_WEAPON = 3

HAND_TO_HAND = 4

OBJECT_IMPACT = 5

POISON = 6

RADIATION = 7

Beat me to it... LOL

one of the best things a mod maker can do is to explore the scripts of FNV using the GECK. all kinds of little nuggets hidden away in there. if you go into GECK and go into the freeside world space, look in the building across from mick and ralphs, there is a body there with a script attached that would help you out.

Edited by JoKelly

Alright, I'll try and see if I can make that work. So I imagine that the ExplodeyGuyREF is the character's REF. So is UnusedNPCREF the name of the character (who is Dimples, by the way)?

Alright, I'll try and see if I can make that work. So I imagine that the ExplodeyGuyREF is the character's REF. So is UnusedNPCREF the name of the character (who is Dimples, by the way)?

No "UnusedNPCREF" is the npc ref that gets the blame (the killer) for making Dimples explode.

So I think madmongo is telling you to drop some dummy npc in the render window (a dummy cell I guess) Then you give it a ref-id ... and that is what you use in your result script of your dialogue topic.

Example : " MyDimplesRef.Killactor MyKillerRef 1 0 "

The Wiki says this about it ...

• Use some dummy NPC (e.g. CG01DadREF) for Killer param if you don't care who killed him and just want to use the other optional parameters. (Do NOT use player since that will cause "limb crippled" messages to be displayed.)
Edited by Mktavish

The command will allow the same ref for both the killer and the victim. I've done it, but only on NPCs that weren't part of any faction (there were supposed to be decapitated bodies in Nipton, according to the story of what happened there, so I created a bunch of NPCs with suicide decapitation scripts).

I'm not sure, but I think you can run into potential faction crime issues possibly involving the player, depending on Dimples's faction memberships.

No "UnusedNPCREF" is the npc ref that gets the blame (the killer) for making Dimples explode.

So I think madmongo is telling you to drop some dummy npc in the render window (a dummy cell I guess) Then you give it a ref-id ... and that is what you use in your result script of your dialogue topic.

Would it be a bad idea if I made the "killer Ref" the same as Dimple's Ref? Would that cause a crash at all?

Would it be a bad idea if I made the "killer Ref" the same as Dimple's Ref? Would that cause a crash at all?

Me having never tried that , I would have to defer to madmongo's advice on that , since they have.