Heavy Traffic ×

nexus hate?

gloomygrim

I dunno, Steam receives hate for being so invasive with the files people bought and (supposedly) own.

Nope. You agreed to their ToS and have purchased a license to access stuff through Steam. At their descretion, and subject ot their rules. And as Drake pointed out about the Nexus, if that's so terrible why are millions of people happy to use the service? :whistling:

• Replies 160
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nexus adopted the tolerance zero politics on bashing mods and mod authors and states this unequivocally to those going first time to the comments pages. The reason being exactly the abuses committed in relatively recent past.

The sense is logical and ... ehh.... sensible, Personal taste is not reason to bash a mod, just skip and go after something you like (of course I'm not referring to anyone in particular here).

Some misunderstand the rule prevents critics, it's not true when the critics are such than the mod is actually harming the game or the system someway and even then there is no need of rudeness and stupidity in reporting the problem.

Politeness is each time more uncommon in the Internet in general fashion, it's a sad thing and one can only be grateful for places which struggles to keep it high and actively remove the stupid.

Edited by nosisab

I dunno, Steam receives hate for being so invasive with the files people bought and (supposedly) own.

Nope. You agreed to their ToS and have purchased a license to access stuff through Steam. At their descretion, and subject ot their rules. And as Drake pointed out about the Nexus, if that's so terrible why are millions of people happy to use the service? :whistling:

There are also many of those millions who have been forced to use the service in order to activate a certain game or games, or to update them and use a certain upcoming CK. But I wouldn't say that they were happy to use the service.

Anyway back to topic, people get used to going on troll sites like SomethingAwful and then think they can come on here and behave likewise, and then they are surprised to get a banhammer up their derrieres. Long may it continue.

Nope. You agreed to their ToS and have purchased a license to access stuff through Steam. At their descretion, and subject to their rules. And as Drake pointed out about the Nexus, if that's so terrible why are millions of people happy to use the service? :whistling:

There are also many of those millions who have been forced to use the service in order to activate a certain game or games, or to update them and use a certain upcoming CK. But I wouldn't say that they were happy to use the service.

Anyway back to topic, people get used to going on troll sites like SomethingAwful and then think they can come on here and behave likewise, and then they are surprised to get a banhammer up their derrieres. Long may it continue.

Hey Ginny! Can you let me in on that secret Valve has? You know, the one that allows them to force people to play the games they offer? Last I checked, they were providing, ummmmm... games. :tongue: (Kidding! I know what you mean.)

I really get tired of the folk who bash Steam because it's a requirement, as opposed to bashing it for any performance problems, which might be legitimate. (I mean, it's even free for crying-out-loud.) To use a real-world example of the same kind of conciously-made consumer entertainment decision, I don't watch the biggest weekly (in-season) sporting event in my country, (Monday Night Football on ESPN) because to do so I would be forced to pay for cable TV service, which I refuse to do. Does that mean I hate the NFL, or ESPN, or Comcast? Or that I would be justified in getting that programming without paying for it?

Just like the NFL, BetheSoft is NOT in business to provide me with a fun way to spend a few (or several) hours. It's in business to make money. They get to decide how they'll to deliver enternatinment they think I'll pay for, and I get to decide if what they offer is worth the cost. :laugh:

I really get tired of the folk who bash Steam because it's a requirement, as opposed to bashing it for any performance problems, which might be legitimate. (I mean, it's even free for crying-out-loud.)

This, like, a thousand times. It has spiffy, useful features beyond being a DRM platform for developers, and it pulls off the DRM platform business without destroying the games it carries... which isn't particularly true for a lot of alternative DRM schemes these days.

Edited by NorthWolf

I really get tired of the folk who bash Steam because it's a requirement, as opposed to bashing it for any performance problems, which might be legitimate. (I mean, it's even free for crying-out-loud.)

This, like, a thousand times. It has spiffy, useful features beyond being a DRM platform for developers, and it pulls off the DRM platform business without destroying the games it carries... which isn't particularly true for a lot of alternative DRM schemes these days.

How about I don't have internet except on my smart phone? I play single player RPGs for a reason. All efforts to connect to steam via tethering my droid have failed thanks to their security. To activate my copy of Skyrim I had to tear down my entire PC, which is also my DAW btw and drive 30 minutes to a friend's house, hook up, activate, tear down, take it back to my house, set back up, then play.

This takes me in total, oh, maybe 2-3 hours if not more sometimes. I have to do this EVERY time I patch and am going to have to do it when I buy the new edition of FONV next month.

Is that a legit reason for hating Steam and feeling resentful that I have to go through all this effort to play a single player game in a series that used to not?

Or how about that Steam doesn't do anything to slow down those who DO pirate the game?

sorry... /endrant

Don't have the internet? Don't buy (license, actually, often with some fairly heavy restrictions) games that require the internet.

Doesn't matter that the requirement is imposed for distribution reasons, rather than technical ones. Because of the selected distribution mechanism, I have to get in my car and drive somewhere else if I want to watch MNF, even though my television is perfectly capable of displaying the game.

I see this sort of attitude towards the never-ending pro-corporate/anti-consumer practices which are all the rage in the tech world a lot these days. Every day they burden the legal purchaser a bit more and deter the pirates not a bit. And each time people try to say something about it they are met with "well its not like they force you" or some other insensitive remark which ignores the legitimacy of the original posters concern in a way acting as though they were the bad guy for not instantly approving of whatever the corporate world wants.

This attitude disturbs me because it always puts me in mind of a World War II quote:

First they came for the communists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a communist.

Then they came for the trade unionists,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a trade unionist.

Then they came for the Jews,

and I didn't speak out because I wasn't a Jew.

Then they came for the Catholics,

and I didn't speak out because I was Protestant.

Then they came for me

and there was no one left to speak out for me.

Not to say that major corporations are on the same par of evil mind you. However the attitude of the small people is the same, and the results of that kind of attitude is that the changes will pile up until they are too much too bear but by then it is too late to change anything. Try to keep an open mind when people criticize what seems minor. Ask yourself if its really needed, who it benefits, who it hurts, does it truly achieve the end it is claiming to be focused on? There's nothing wrong with questioning the world around you. Just because a decision comes from a large company, government or religion etc does not mean its a good idea. Those are just groups of people each as fallible as any joe on the street, sometimes more-so. The world usually changes slowly, not drastically. Look how different it is now from ten or even five years ago. Nothing major or sudden, just a gentle relentless shift towards a more tech based society. If no one watches the little changes that shift could, in the end, end up somewhere we don't want it to be.

My apologies for the off topic rant.

Edited by ShadowArchon

How about I don't have internet except on my smart phone? I play single player RPGs for a reason. All efforts to connect to steam via tethering my droid have failed thanks to their security. To activate my copy of Skyrim I had to tear down my entire PC, which is also my DAW btw and drive 30 minutes to a friend's house, hook up, activate, tear down, take it back to my house, set back up, then play.

This takes me in total, oh, maybe 2-3 hours if not more sometimes. I have to do this EVERY time I patch and am going to have to do it when I buy the new edition of FONV next month.

Is that a legit reason for hating Steam and feeling resentful that I have to go through all this effort to play a single player game in a series that used to not?

Or how about that Steam doesn't do anything to slow down those who DO pirate the game?

sorry... /endrant

I'm somewhere between agreeing with Thandal and sympathizing with you. I'd actually, you know, contact Steam and ask them if there's a way to connect to their service using your phone as a modem and easily activate games, or if their security is going to make that impossible. They've been really helpful when I've had problems, which is one of the reasons I'm supportive of them.

That being said, we would've gotten one DRM or the other. For the vast majority of North American gamers (the majority of which have internet access) I would say Steam is one of the most benign... feel free to compare SecuROM or similar stuff that can be a huge headache.

Finally, you might think of just taking your HD out of your computer, putting it in an anti-static bag, taking it to your friend's, using it as the primary drive on their computer, installing what you need, and then re-installing it when you get back home. Not convenient, might be what you're already doing or maybe not. Beats lugging an entire computer around if that's what you're currently doing.