HD DLC - Technical Details

ousnius

I posted this on Reddit a day ago, but I figured it would be good to have it on a real forum as well. :wink:

With great help by jonwd7 and klmx, I've made a little overview of the FO4 HD DLC that has just been released.
Enjoy! :smile:

Here's a Google Sheet of all texture files with vanilla and the HD DLC in separate sheets:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1Z4C63i1binKPhZ_GyZ9bY-n1VB9bU07n83ql83X-fAg/

Random facts:

• Cubemaps, effects and head textures haven't been touched.
  • There are many duplicate files that greatly increase the download size by around 10 GB, there's a list of them in the sheet.
  • Duplicate means the file size, dimensions and format are the same.
  • Almost all BC5 (normal/specular) and BC3 (diffuse with alpha) are included.
  • Only a little more than half of BC1 (diffuse without alpha) textures are included, mostly due to the missing head textures.

Number of texture files?

• Vanilla: 40963
  • HD DLC: 36623
  • Excluded from the HD DLC: 4688
  • Identical duplicates in the HD DLC: 22414

What percentage of dimensions are 512x512?

• Vanilla: 52.91%
  • HD DLC: 47.71%

What percentage of dimensions are 1024x1024?

• Vanilla: 32.58%
  • HD DLC: 10.54%

What percentage of dimensions are 2048x2048?

• Vanilla: 6.22%
  • HD DLC: 28.46%

What percentage of dimensions are 4096x4096?

• Vanilla: 0.06%
  • HD DLC: 5.10%

Distribution of the texture format?

• Vanilla:
    • BC1: 13628
    • BC2: 2
    • BC3: 15685
    • BC5: 11314
    • BC7: 1
    • R8: 2
    • B8G8R8A8: 330
  • HD DLC:
    • BC1: 9642
    • BC2: 2
    • BC3: 15638
    • BC5: 11054
    • BC7: 1
    • R8: 2
    • B8G8R8A8: 283

Why are there duplicates? No wonder the size is so damn huge.

Around 10 GB out of the 57 GB are duplicates (13 GB when extracted from the BA2 archives).

22414 out of 36623 files are duplicates, but the actual duplicated file size is 'only' 10 GB, since the duplicates are smaller than the improved ones.

So around 18% of the pack is just bollocks. Wonder if the textures for the world items are improved or it's yet another nonsense.. I know the weapons/armours/npcs are improved as far as I see.

So around 18% of the pack is just *censored*. Wonder if the textures for the world items are improved or it's yet another nonsense.. I know the weapons/armours/npcs are improved as far as I see.

Almost all things are improved, usually it's either the normal/specular map or the diffuse, or both.

There's only a few exceptions that haven't been, they're listed in the Google sheet.

While weapons are improved, there's exceptions there as well. For example the knife wasn't touched.

It's not so much about the items improved, but the duplicate textures that haven't been (each mesh has 3-5 textures).

Did you actually compare them pixel for pixel? Just being the same file size doesn't say much, since texture compression guarantees a certain file size for a given texture size and format.

Yes, both the OP and my post above say so. You don't have to compare the pixels visually, you just hash the binary file content and compare the hashes - they were identical.