Hi guys,

I am currently writing a dissertation on modding and I am looking to categorise the types of mods that can be made to a game. I feel that with the extensive library we have now, it is not possible to use only 'total conversion' and 'partial conversion'. I found the following table in a textbook (see attached) but feel that this is also very insufficient.

I would say that mods can be placed on a spectrum, starting with a total conversion, then a total overhaul, then partial conversions and add-ons. I would also add in unofficial patches and art mods outwith this spectrum.

What do you guys think?

Browsing through the 'categories' section of, for example, Skyrim, isn't too great either. Most of the categories I would maybe describe as 'add-ons'. I'm trying to pinpoint types of mods on a spectrum, with 'total conversion' at one end - being the largest change. Then next to that I would probably put 'overhaul', as its not as big a change as a total conversion (e.g. Long War 2 for XCOM 2). That's where I get a bit stuck because it becomes more difficult. You could group a bunch of mods into one big category of add-ons but reskinning an item is far easier than creating a new item altogether. It may sound tedious but it is for a piece of academic research.