Converting mods from SSE to Oldrim

Jafin16

So, I realize this is a weird question. I also know this is technically not supported by Bethesda. I'm wondering how to convert mods made for SSE to Oldrim. Specifically, I want one of Elianora's house mods for my old skyrim. SSE is great, but my good old Skyrim still looks better and has all the mods I want working how I want them to. And then there's my ENB that makes Oldrim look exactly as I desire it to. And that's way too many hours of work to not use. There's just this ONE house mod (and possible other mods down the road) that I'd like to have in oldrim. I know the conversion can be done as EnaiSiaion has converted an experimental version of Smilodon to Old Skyrim with the caveat it may not work properly. I figure a house mod shouldn't be nearly as hard or problematic. Would it be as simple as opening the SSE mod in the Old CK and saving as 32-bit mod?

Thanks for any help or guidance! It's much appreciated!

-Jafin16

EDIT: Specifically, this house mod is the one I'm referring to.

Edited by Jafin16

Can't be done with current tools - Smilodon was probably doable because it doesn't involve changing any structures in the worldspace ie using meshes, adding cells, adding to the landscape etc. So a house mod would in fact be way more difficult

That is not to say a clever programmer couldn't theoretically write a conversion program after reverse engineering SSE. Lot of work and I don't think anyone would see much point in doing it as it would definitely be for a niche market; but you never know.

agerweb

Ah, that makes sense actually. I've been away from modding for awhile so some of these little intricacies are still coming back to me :)

Algabar

It's not actually the same. Similar but not the same. The location is a little further away and the house is actually bigger than the other. If there was no way to convert I was thinking I'd download that one but wanted to see if anyone had an idea.

Thanks for the responses. It's too bad there's no reversion process because I can see many great mods being developed for SSE but some tools just aren't available and maybe never will be that we do have for Oldrim. SKSE64 is likely a few months off at least, and ENB will likely never have the robust feature set it does for Skyrim. Ah well!

• 3 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm hoping someone has an answer to this because I have come across several amazing SE mods that won't be ported to LE by the authors that I would really really like to use but the amount of modding I have done to my Skyrim I couldn't even attempt to replicate in SE it would take me years so I need them for LE.

• 2 months later...

I know this is a dead topic, but I'd figure I'd say it is possible for a Special Edition Mod to be ported back to Oldrim, but it doesn't work for all mods.

When a mod from SE has only a .esp file, renaming the .esp file to anything not only fools the program you use to install mods, but also fools Oldrim into thinking it's a LE mod. I have successfully ported two mods from SE to Oldrim. But as I said it only works for SE mods with just a .esp file. If the mod has both a .esp file and a .bsa file then it will not work.

I tested a SE mod with the .esp and .bsa file, that mod being Inigo, and was able to port it successfully, but the problem was Inigo lacked his eyeballs. I will try to figure out how to fix this, but for now I can say it is possible to port SE mods back to Oldrim.

currently, I am seeing if the SE mod SongofGreen_AuriRedone, this will be not only the third mod I've ported, but also the second companion mod I've ported. I will be testing it in a few and if it works, I will post a screen shot of the mod as proof it is doable.

Sorry for double posting, but I wanted to give an update.

I seem to be running with then same issue I always have when it come to the Oldrim mod Song of Green. While I cannot confirm if Auri Redone works, I can confirm that the Bethesda.net mod Cheat Room works perfectly.

http://i68.tinypic.com/9t0hav.png

and if you wish for further proof, here is my oldrim folder

http://i63.tinypic.com/23tibm9.png

so I can indeed say it is possible to port a Skyrim Special Edition mod to Oldrim as long as it is a single .esp file. Also, I also remembered that SSE mods can be ported as long as they are a .esp and a .bsa files, the mod cannot have a .bsl. like with SSE Inigo, due to there being a .bsl file, he is not portable. I cannot say if armor, building or scenery mods are portable, but I can say companion mods, weapon mods and certain game changing mods are possible as long as there is only a single .esp and .bsa file. as long as the mod does not have a .bsl file, you are good to go.

also, when you going to port a mod from SSE to Oldrim, you must, and I mean must, rename the .esp and .bsa to a different name, it cannot be the same file name.

When porting the mod, download the manual file, extract the .zip/7z file, go to the file that is a .esp and .bsa and rename them. Afterwards repackage the file, rename the file and either manually install or use a your choice of mod organizer to install the file.

I hope this helps.

Edited by Shinoda2908