Black boxes all over some character's faces

ThaDPG

If anyone's interested, I figured out what is causing the black textures and graphical tearing. After installing ALOT using MEM, clicking the option to update the LOD settings causes the graphical problems I was having. Removing the LOD settings, sets everything back to normal. Am I missing anything by not having my LOD settings updated? The tutorial I used said it was an important step to finish off the process, but it gives me all kinds of graphical problems.

I had the exact same issue after reinstalling ME2 than installing a lot 2017 when it came out fresh. Yesterday I reinstalled ME2 & ALOT 2017 again and cleared even the documents folder beforehand except the SAVE folder. Started up ME2 and the issue was gone. So made me think what was the problem and I figured it was one of the mods I had beforehand called "No Minigames". The file SFXGAME were causing the problem. So if u don`t install that you should be fine. And I guess any mod that modifies that file will cause the same bug. Hope this helps. Have a nice day :D

Edited by Drokthar

Figured it out, whenever I click update LOD settings in MEM, it actually duplicates part of the gamersettings.ini, specifically, most of the TEXTUREGROUP settings, with different settings than what I currently have set, but in the same gamersettings.ini. So basically the game is being told 2 different settings for the same setting, if that makes sense. After I figured that out, and deleted the duplicate settings, everything looks as it should now. Sorry, I know that's confusing to read, but hopefully this can help someone else out in the future.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

I'm actually having this issue and I don't know how to fix it before doing a complete vanilla. Basically I remove the LOD settings and all the textures from ALOT go vanilla. I update LOD settings and I close in on a DLC characters face (i.e. Petrovsky) and the face and other textures becomes a patchwork to complete black.

TEXTUREGROUP-s cause black textures only if you place them into [systemSettings] section.
Seems to when you place them into [systemSettingsEditor] in GamerSettings.ini or Coalesced.ini - this have no impact on the vanilla`s game textures.
If use TEXTUREGROUP-s world textures, especialy walls, will look like mirrors or glass with a lot of reflections, but sharp as hell. On characters, alas, polygon mesh become broken - they are covered with some kind of grid and theirs clothes will be covered with black textures.

This textures issue caused only by TEXTUREGROUP-s, delete only them.
a lot values:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=2048,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
Default values:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
If TEXTUREGROUP-s values was changed, game engine simply cannot process and display textures properly, because they doesn't have required resolution.
If texture has lower resolution than is set in MinLODSize=..., it became black.
Or, try to combine:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
Edited by ArJed

• 1 year later...

TEXTUREGROUP-s cause black textures only if you place them into [systemSettings] section.

Seems to when you place them into [systemSettingsEditor] in GamerSettings.ini or Coalesced.ini - this have no impact on the vanilla`s game textures.

If use TEXTUREGROUP-s world textures, especialy walls, will look like mirrors or glass with a lot of reflections, but sharp as hell. On characters, alas, polygon mesh become broken - they are covered with some kind of grid and theirs clothes will be covered with black textures.

This textures issue caused only by TEXTUREGROUP-s, delete only them.
a lot values:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=2048,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=512,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
Default values:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=1024,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=512,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=256,LODBias=0)
If TEXTUREGROUP-s values was changed, game engine simply cannot process and display textures properly, because they doesn't have required resolution.
If texture has lower resolution than is set in MinLODSize=..., it became black.
Or, try to combine:
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_1024=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Diff=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Norm=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)
TEXTUREGROUP_Character_Spec=(MinLODSize=32,MaxLODSize=4096,LODBias=0)

Did not work (combining). I had to remove those settings from the system settings section completely. It did not matter how low I set the minLODsize, the face was always black.