Skyrim freezes when I try to read a book D:

PitNox

(Sorry in advance, my english may not be perfect...)

So... when I try to read a book, from my inventory or in the world, the game always freezes. I don't know why this happens; it first came out after I installed some armor mods like Immersive armors by Hothtrooper_44, so I tried disabling them with no effect; I tried then disabling all my mods, but again nothing changed. I red of people having similar issues, but were always mod-related, and disabling them actually fixed the problem for all of them.

Another interesting fact is that reading notes is not a problem, apart from the treasure maps: those have just a black rectangle, not the image. I think this problem is mesh or texture-related, but i don't have any clue on how to fix it. I tried a clean save with no mods and without my (tweaked) skyrim.ini and skyrimprefs.ini, but again nothing changed.

I don't really know what to try next, pls help me

This is my mod list:

Dawnguard.bsa

Dragonborn.bsa

Update.bsa

Unofficial Skyrim Patch.bsa

Unofficial Dawnguard Patch.bsa

Unofficial Dragonborn Patch.bsa

SkyUI.bsa

SPERG.bsa

Armored Skeleton.bsa

CharacterMakingExtender.esp

EnhancedCharacterEdit.esp

FNIS.esp

dD - Realistic Ragdoll Force - Medium.esp

WetandCold.bsa

LostGrimoire.esp

Cloaks.esp

Cloaks - Dawnguard.esp

ColorfulLightsNoShadows.esp

dD - Enhanced Blood Main.bsa

DSpSoB.bsa

MoonAndStar_MAS.bsa

My Home Is Your Home.bsa

GreenWaterFix_v2withDawnguard.esp

Guard Dialogue Overhaul.bsa

Immersive Citizens - AI Overhaul.bsa

Height Adjusted Races with True Giants.esp

WarmongerArmory_Vanilla.esp

Hothtrooper44_Armor_Ecksstra.bsa

Hothtrooper44_ArmorCompilation.bsa

Immersive Weapons.bsa

Locational Damage.esp

icepenguinworldmapclassic - textures.bsa

(I use SKSE with some performance and anti-freeze/crash plugins;

Everything works flawlessly apart from this damned issue).

Edited by PitNox

This is not a load order, which is what we'd need to help. LOOT has an option to copy your load order in the settings menu of the program. However, I'll just list what your load order should be. Try a new game after sorting your mods this way and see if the problem persists. Your load order should be:
Skyrim
Update
Unofficial Skyrim Patch
Dawnguard
Unofficial Dawnguard Patch
Dragonborn
Unofficial Dragonborn Patch
[other .esms]
High Res Texture 1,2,3 <----Optional
Unofficial High Res Patch <----Optional
[utility mods] (Mods that add function to the game. E.g. Papyrus Utility, UI Extentions, SKSE scripts, SkyUI)
[All other unspecifically mentioned mods/.esps]
Modern Brawl Bugs Fix
[Texture Mods] (Mods that make your game look better)
[body Mods] (Mods that make NPCS or your player look better)
FNIS
[Animation Mods]
XPMSE
Alternate Start
[Anything LOOT sorts after]

Any mods mentioned are mods you should be using if you aren't. They help improve your game and ensure stability with the mods you're using.

Edited by snelss0

I wouldn't say it's 100% necessary, but it is very nice for the stability of your game. When you have a significant number of mods, their scripts all kick on when the game starts. If you have AS-LAL, it gives the game a chance to load all of those scripts before it renders the whole of Skyrim. Plus, if you like vanilla start, you can just select that if you want. It is also handy in modding because sometimes we will move mods about and you should really test your mods on a new game. Having to sit through the intro every time is ...well...yeah, you get the picture.

You should list out your load order so we can see it properly as suggested in my first post. I can't see what i need to here. It perhaps could be that one of your mods loosely needs hearthfire or legendary edition or something, yet doesn't require it and is causing issues. I really can't say. I would think that would make your game crash, but I think it would show that you're missing masters if that was the case.

• 2 years later...

Do you have "SkyrimSouls"? Because i had the same problem, i solved it by going to the "SkyrimSouls.ini" file and changing the value of the "BookMenu" to 0 instead of 1. The game will pause when you open a book, but it will no longer crash. It worked for me.

• 3 months later...

Do you have "SkyrimSouls"? Because i had the same problem, i solved it by going to the "SkyrimSouls.ini" file and changing the value of the "BookMenu" to 0 instead of 1. The game will pause when you open a book, but it will no longer crash. It worked for me.

I love you, worked for me

• 10 months later...

That fixed my problem as well! Thanks for posting it

• 1 month later...

thanks man. i was pissed off whit this bug but had no idea what was it causing. u helped me a lot. thanks again!