Strange water problem, need help

chay6

Trying to build bathhouses for inns, when adding water in creation kit it looks/moves/behaves normally, but in game it is completely still. The surface of the water has no flow at all, looks almost like a sheet of glass. No ripples when walking in water, no waves or movement of any kind. Has anyone seen anything like this? I am using the subtanker autostrip script for npcs. Load order is small, just a few things I've never tried before, but nothing that would really edit the water in this way I don't think.

0 0 Skyrim.esm
1 1 Update.esm
2 2 Dawnguard.esm
3 3 HearthFires.esm
4 4 Dragonborn.esm
5 5 Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch.esp
6 6 Campfire.esm
7 7 ProudspiremanorTNF.esp
8 8 Populated Skyrim Legendary.esp
9 9 Tentapalooza.esp
10 a Shiva's Vanilla Hair Replacer.esp
11 b 360WalkandRunPlus-RunBackwardSpeedAdjust.esp
12 c Windhelm Exterior Altered.esp
13 d SoS - Civilization.esp
14 e Absolutely Everything.esp
15 f skyBirds_SSE.esp
16 10 JobsofSkyrim.esp
17 11 Windhelm Bridge Overhaul.esp
18 12 Hunterborn.esp
19 13 Raven Rock.esp
20 14 Hunterborn - Leather Tanning.esp
21 15 Hunterborn - Campfire Leather Tanning.esp
22 16 Hunterborn - Campfire Patch.esp
23 17 ArchitectureTest.esp
24 18 R18Pn - Ritter Armor - Heavy.esp
25 19 sandboxcylinderheight.esp
26 1a CuteMinidressCollection.esp
27 1b Alternate Start - Live Another Life.esp

Nothing to do with your load order. Looking at it I think its because you havent told the ck that there is any current, so by default the water is still. You can add a current by right clicking on the cell and editing it, then modifying the velocity of water, but in my experience its just easier to search for "Water Current marker" or something, and then place that down on the water level in the direction you want the flow to go. If its interior though, surely no flow is better?

Sorry, wasn't entirely clear, the water flow isn't the problem, but more that the water has no animation to it. It looks the way it's supposed to, but no movement, even just walking through the water doesn't produce ripples. Sometimes the water appears as just a flat blue sheet. Though I do still have the sound effects, and I also get the bug where if you go underwater, then the game thinks you're underwater even if you've left the cell in which water was. Everything looks fine in the CK though.

Edited by chay6

Yes, both cells that I have added water to have the "has water" option checked. Even starting a new save doesn't help. I haven't edited any water properties (as far as I know), and even SSEEdit doesn't detect any problems within the mod. I did something similar in Oldrim (adding bath area to a cell), but I've never seen anything like this.

• 3 weeks later...

I've tried using the water 1024 and 512. Last week I just rebuilt the area in a separate cell (through a load door) and the water worked just fine in game. For some reason if I add water to the existing cell it will malfunction, while adding it to a completely different cell works normally. Not what I wanted given that I regularly use population mods, and wanted to add a large space for npcs to sandbox in naturally (Taverns become way too crowed in the evenings). In my Oldrim mod, it was in a separate cell, but I do not know how to add it to npc sandboxing. Especially mod added npcs.

• 1 year later...

Just encountered the exact same problem in a project.

I had added a cave to the HF Home basement at Heljarchen Hall and added water to that cave. Everything worked fine there, water looked good everything worked properly.

I tried copying the cave to the Lakeview basement and I get the same problem of the water plane being there but with no animation. You can swim or walk through it but it shows no disturbance effect when you do. Surface is almost mirror like.

Yet in CK everything looks fine, the water animates fine.

I checked the cell properties for "Has Water" in both CK and TES Edit and that looks correct.

I thought maybe something in the copy & paste process might have bugged it so I reverted to an old copy of my mod before I'd edited anything at Lakeview and just dropped a default water into the basement, saved and went in. Same problem, no animations, smooth surface to the water. Yet the water "works" so far as an activator, items like baskets and buckets are floating about.

NOTE: I have this problem modding Oldrim, not SSE, but this is the only discussion I've seen of the problem.

Solved my problem, found a mod making a dirty edit to that cell that shouldn't have been making any edits at all. End result it was forcing the cell back to NOT having Has Water property.

Edited by EinarrTheRed