Any Montage Tips and Tricks?

RageCommittee

Hello!

I just got Adobe Premiere recently, and I've been playing around and having some fun with it. At the moment, I'm working on a short fallout montage with some cinematic shots and music. I was just wondering if anyone had any tips on how to get good camera angles and shots. I do know the basic tm, tfc, fov, sgtm, and all that good stuff. My main wonderment is how do you get good free camera angles while moving your character around? And while I'm on that note, how do you get animated shots of NPCs? I would also like to know if anyone knows how to get good large rotating/panning shots, and clean, stable player movement when working in first person.

This is a very well done montage here:

can anyone tell me how he got those amazing angles and camera movements?

Thanks!

The above video contains mostly first-person camera views, interspersed with shots taken in V.A.T.S. and a number of free-cam shots. Regarding good camera angles, it's what you find visually pleasing that's important. As far as I'm aware you can't alter the camera angle whilst your moving/controlling the player character; but you should look at this 'limitation' from the standpoint of it being an obstacle that you can creatively work with. Experiment!

Best advice I can give you is this:

Use good video-grabbing software. OBS is free, and relatively easy to use. Plenty of tutorials online to help you choose the best settings to use for recording.

Practise a lot! Get as much footage as possible. Plan 'scenes' out beforehand, create game saves that you can then later use if the footage you've just got doesn't work out or look how you want it... even if takes you several attempts to get a shot right. If your planning on utilizing camera panning, I'd highly recommend using a game controller, and spending some time training your thumbs so you can move precisely.

Saying that, sometimes it's nice to just stumble upon things happening in the game.

Oh, and before I forget, make sure you've got at least 250gb of storage free. Hope this helps in some small way.

Maybe I should rephrase my question a bit, does anyone know how the shoddycast does their montages? it never seems like they're dicking around with the thir person camera to get some movement shot. Thank you for the answers so far though.

I should note that one of my desired shots is of my character's boots as he walks into an abandoned church.

Edited by RageCommittee

• 2 years later...

Maybe I should rephrase my question a bit, does anyone know how the shoddycast does their montages? it never seems like they're dicking around with the thir person camera to get some movement shot. Thank you for the answers so far though.

I should note that one of my desired shots is of my character's boots as he walks into an abandoned church.

Any luck? Looking for the same