Skyrim Modding Horror Stories

Ryyz

Isn't it the most wonderful feeling where somewhere somehow something gets f'ed up so badly that you can't even access the main menu, that you have to do a full reinstall. That wonderful feeling of reinstalling your mods that takes hours to do.

That being said, I'm curious what some of your horror stories are when it comes to skyrim modding.

I'd say my main one was when it was crashing so often that I had to do a full reinstall and after reinstalling all my mods it was still crashing and it turned out immersive armors was conflicting with something. So I basically wasted my time. That was real annoying.

Or the most recent one that happened less than an hour ago, I was making a mod and getting ready to test and without doing any changes to the load order, I couldn't even access the main menu. It just magically broke. No it wasn't a masters issue and no I'm not asking for support just sharing.

I'd like to hear from you guys, whether it be a gamebreaking bug, mods you want not working or just something getting totally f'ed up.

For me it was in a game where I'd added a LOT of mods to buff up cities and villages in Skyrim. I was very proud of the fact that my final load order seemed quite stable and all the cities, towns and villages looked good. But next time I loaded into the game, situations like this started popping up in nearly every village and mid-sized town.

http://i975.photobucket.com/albums/ae239/CON-Troll/Whoops.jpg

The above screen cap shows a lumber mill, general store and fishing dock all trying to occupy the same space. Note the villager trying to walk through the water wheel to get to the door.

To this day I STILL don't know what went wrong. It was only fixed when I completely wiped my NMM, game AND cache. (And, of course, reloaded all the mods.)

Edited by LeddBate

For me it was in a game where I'd added a LOT of mods to buff up cities and villages in Skyrim. I was very proud of the fact that my final load order seemed quite stable and all the cities, towns and villages looked good. But next time I loaded into the game, situations like this started popping up in nearly every village and mid-sized town.

The above screen cap shows a lumber mill, general store and fishing dock all trying to occupy the same space. Note the villager trying to walk through the water wheel to get to the door.

To this day I STILL don't know what went wrong. It was only fixed when I completely wiped my NMM, game AND cache. (And, of course, reloaded all the mods.)

That is why I don't mess with landscape mods. Something inevitably goes wrong.

There was this one time I added Open Cities to my load order and I had some landscape mods installed, all hell broke loose. Crashing, navmesh messing up, npcs walking through walls was crazy. Haven't used Open Cities since.

PS: If you still want something like that try Holds if you haven't already. I used it for a while on my old crappy PC. Even on that there wasn't much of a framerate issue since all the edited towns are put in their own cells.

Edited by Ryyz

I've had issues like LeddBate had where I tried to add two separate villages/camps to the same cell; in my case I tried to add a new village mod (can't remember the name now), but it ended up conflicting with OBIS. It ended up where the new village was floating like 8 feet above the ground, with a bandit camp underneath it :laugh: .

I've had a few other boners over the years, nothing memorable though. Most recently, my game got to the point where it was almost unplayable with all the usual issues; frequent crashes, freezes, saves refusing to load... Long story short, my Data folder finally imploded after 3 years of adding/updating/removing mods and I ended up doing a clean reinstall; took me three days to complete the job (partly because I finally decided to switch to MO, and there is a learning curve there).

I badly want to try Holds but the download is so big and I've become attached to ETaC. D: I also want to try Interesting NPCs but the same reason keeps me from doing so.

I've not yet come to the point where I've had to reinstall everything and hopefully I never will. :S It's been seeming like it's going to happen soon though...

I've not much of a 'horror' story besides grey faces and missing voices, but there was that one time when my own mod would consistently not let me launch the game. o.o I had no idea what I did wrong. Good thing I had a recent backup and just made the changes again. Phew.

I've had issues like LeddBate had where I tried to add two separate villages/camps to the same cell; in my case I tried to add a new village mod (can't remember the name now), but it ended up conflicting with OBIS. It ended up where the new village was floating like 8 feet above the ground, with a bandit camp underneath it :laugh: .

I've had a few other boners over the years, nothing memorable though. Most recently, my game got to the point where it was almost unplayable with all the usual issues; frequent crashes, freezes, saves refusing to load... Long story short, my Data folder finally imploded after 3 years of adding/updating/removing mods and I ended up doing a clean reinstall; took me three days to complete the job (partly because I finally decided to switch to MO, and there is a learning curve there).

My mod lists typically take 3-4 days to get fully setup. And im very experienced with MO lol. I have tried minimal installs.....but i just cant go without. The city overhauls are tricky to get working right and stable in a heavy load order. Big reason why i choose not to use them. As well as performance reasons. Sad too cause IMO skyrims towns and cities were VERY disappointing. Probably the area of the game thats lacking the most.

Anyways my horror story is spending a week setting up mod list only to realize it ctds constantly in combat due to memory issues......just too much for windows 10 i guess. Week of my life wasted

Ive experienced it all at least once tho. Purple textures, lighting issues, shadow striping, textures not loading, severe script lag, NPC's frozen not doing normal routines, etc etc list goes on and on.