Making a hair model into an item.

grunt211

I'm trying to roleplay a character that has a unique hairstyle. I have quite a few hair mods, and none of them quite fit the bill. One looks good from the front, and another looks good from the back, because it has a perfect ponytail. I don't have any knowledge or experience in modding or creating models, nor do I have the ability to (don't own Maya or similar programs).

So I thought a simpler method of achieving what I want is to make the second hairstyle into an equippable wig. I know the models would clip into each other, but it'd probably look good enough for me to be happy with it. I've looked around for tutorials, or to see if anyone has wanted to do something similar, but I've had no luck.

Using the few tutorials I have found, and trying to apply them to what I'm trying to do in Creation Kit, I've only managed to get the name of the new item to appear in game. Unfortunately it was still the model of the item I had duplicated. (And when I tried dropping the item to see if the model changed, the game crashed.)

The two hairs I'm wanting to use are from the mod MiscHairstyle1.6 named Yuna.nif, and Lavender.nif.

What I tried doing was duplicating the IDs AAClothesMilitaryCap and ClothesMilitaryCap. In both I replaced the existing model with Lavender.nif, and renamed the IDs to TanyaWig. Then I added TanyaWig.esp to plugins.txt. This got the new ID to show up when I searched for it in the console, but as I said, the model had not changed.

The other issue is how do I get the hair item I'm trying to make match my characters hair color? Help with this would be really appreciated. Thanks for your time.

EDIT:

So I actually figured out how to get the model to show up correctly in-game. As I expected though, the color didn't match my characters hair. So all I need to know now is how to get the color to match.

I've tried messing with these ColorForms. Loading the 256 hair colors esp, puts the one I need in the color forms. I don't see any way to change the wig's color aside from the colorswap index. So I took the number from the colorform and put it in the index of the wig ID, but that didn't work. In fact even in the preview window, the model is blonde, but it shows up as a reddish purple in game.

Edited by grunt211