Can All PC Games Be Modded?

Fkemman11

I'm not sure if this is the place to post this topic. But.........

I am fairly new to modding games and wonder if all games can have mods made for them. The reason I ask is that some exciting games are coming out this year and I have become somewhat of a mod junkie. So, does a game developer have to include support for mods with their title in order for it to be modded? If so, how much support? Does a dev's level of support dictate how extensively a game can be modded? Or is it all based on the level of interest a game generates? Or is it limited by the game's engine? For instance; the new Mass Effect is coming out and I am pretty sure I am going to want to mod it. Of course there are many other titles coming out that I'm sure others will want to mod as well. Any insight would be welcome. :smile:

Depends on the game. For example. CA's total war medieval 2 kingdoms is moddable. But Warhammer isn't as moddable. It depends on how the devs make the game and if they support mods. For example. Some games have a lot of Hard code in them. So they can't be altered easily.

Edited by jawa9kid

Depends on the game. For example. CA's total war medieval 2 kingdoms is moddable. But Warhammer isn't as moddable. It depends on how the devs make the game and if they support mods. For example. Some games have a lot of Hard code in them. So they can't be altered easily.

If a dev does not offer mod support for a game does that mean it cannot be modded? Is this what you mean by hard- coded? I'll look it up. Thanks! :smile:

If a game is 'moddable', usually its because the source code has been released to the public, or, devs will release Software Development Kits (SDKs) which allow you to create content and port it over to the source code

Do game devs ever intentionally discourage mods for their games?

Yep, cause they don't want to cede control to users or to prevent people from ruining online (e.g. in overwatch) game modes.

I know bioware doesn't "support" or acknowledge mods cause they don't want to appear like they support them (and have users expect support, which apparently happened a while ago)

Edited by Mgamerz

No and yes, depending how you look at it. Really it depends on what you consider modding is for other games. For Skyrim it is, for an example, using an application and a website and a few mod creators and boom, Skyrim is now full with pretty much whatever you can imagine. But if you can really delve into "all PC games" there is a lot. Like, more than a lot. A lot a lot. If you include emulators and all that, too. Modding may also be considered in other ways, but getting into the games' codes and doing a bunch of stuff for your benefit is and isn't modding. If modding to you is using something like Nexus, then no, I don't think all PC games can be modded. But if it's doing everything manually and possibly, eventually, getting something without public tools that are considered easy-to-use and popular and legal, then yeah. I think so if the person has the luck/skill/smarts.

Hmmm. What I mean to ask is if a game dev that does not want their game modded have legal options to stop any circulation of mods on the net for their game. Lets assume Bioware wanted to stop mods for ME3 from being offered on this site. Could they? I mean can I expect to see mods on offer for the new ME? I'm thinking yes. Because if they do not even acknowledge mods- as suggested (a mistake on their part imo), then why would they seek action against them. Surely they or other devs could cite copyright infringement (or something) against sites hosting mods for their games if they wanted to. Couldn't they? Well, with that being said- this may be a case of "better to let sleeping dogs lie". :geek:

They're the author of the original files. They can assert control of that, just like if you used another modders files. I don't think BioWare minds that much but they'll never endorse them or say officially 'thats cool' or something.

It's why there's a big focus on permissions on nexus cause it's a big legal minefield.

Edited by Mgamerz