Cleaning the Official Master ESMs
NOTE : This guide is now out of date - I dont have any Bethesda games installed anymore, and xEdit has changed greatly since I last had it installed.
Anyone wishes to re-do this guide on a new page bringing it up to date .. Crack on
This guide assumes using TES5Edit on Skyrim Nexus,
Or SSEEdit on Skyrim SE Nexus
Due to this guide being dual purpose ( For Skyrim and Skyrim SE ) for the rest of this guide I will refer to both tools as xEdit.
Screenshots of tools used may be one or the other, or older versions, which does not matter, the images are only to illustrate the method / options used.
Why Clean the Master Files ?
Before moving on to the Manual cleaning, something everyone should do prior to Manual Cleaning :
Automatic cleaning of Bethesda's ESMs with xEdit
With the games Original esm's installed ( You can use Steam to Verify Integrity of Game Cache of Skyrims files to ensure you have good error free copies of the original master files ), and in accordance with the following wiki article http://www.creationk...ty_Plugins_List :
Load up xEdit.
1. Right click the plugin selection screen and select "none"
2. Tick the relevant esm to edit, and click okay ( If you have not cleaned any of your Master files yet, the first one to tick will be Skyrims "Update.esm" ), then click Okay
After each of the following actions, wait for a message in the message window that the previous operation has finished / Done :
3. Right click the plugin after you get the "Background Loader : Finished" message,and choose "Apply Filter for Cleaning"
Wait until Filtering is finished then ..
4. Right click the plugin and choose Remove Identical to Master Records
Wait until it finishes then ..
5. Right click the plugin and choose Undelete and Disable references
Wait until it finishes then ..
6. Close xEdit, and it should check with you that you wish to save the plugin ( this only happens if you have made any changes to the plugin to save, if it just closes .. Then you have not cleaned anything )
Rinse and repeat the Automatic cleaning ( steps 1 - 6 above ) for each of the master files.
Working from first to load, to last, not including Skyrim.esm or any unofficial patches
( No point doing Skyrim.esm, and the unofficial patches are already done and should not be cleaned )
So clean in this order
Dawnguard.esm ( Yes it needs to be done twice )
Dawnguard.esm needs to be cleaned twice ( as of xEdit 3.1 onwards - After doing the automatic cleaning routine once on Dawnguard.esm, and saving it, load it up again in xEdit and you will be able to clean a further 6 ITMs )
Dawnguard.esm needs manual cleaning aswell as automatic cleaning
After the automated cleaning is done, you can also now manually clean a few more Wild edits xEdit will not have touched ...
Recently Arthmoor has brought to the attention of the community additional information regarding manual cleaning of Dawnguard.esm, which everyone needs to do for their own setup same as automatic cleaning ( because nobody can legally upload official master files anywhere, everyone needs to do their own )
First load up xEdit
When the plugin selection comes up, right click and select None
Then put a tick in the box just for Dawnguard.esm, click Okay
After its finished loading, right click Dawnguard.esm and choose "Filter for Cleaning"
1. For "CELL 00016BCF: Remove XEZN subrecord referring to RiftenRatwayZone [ECZN:0009FBB9]. Otherwise it blocks the official fix in Update.esm." .... Expand the records as in the following screenshot, and right click the indicated sub-record, and choose Remove
2. For "CELL 0001FA4C: Wild edit. Remove this record. It's a testing cell." .... Expand the records as in the following screenshot, and right click the indicated record, and choose Remove
3. For "CELL 0006C3B6: Wild edit. Remove this record. It's a testing cell." .... Expand the records as in the following screenshot, and right click the indicated record, and choose Remove
NOTE : This guide used to include cleaning instructions for "CELL 00039F67: Wild edit. Remove this record. It's a testing cell" ( The WICourier edit ) - But since the new version of TES5Edit 3.1+ now cleans that as part of the automated cleaning ( which you should have done prior to manual cleaning ), you no longer need to clean it manually afterwards.
And newer versions of xEdit (3.2.7 +) have a link to Discord top right of xEdit window.
Edited by alt3rn1ty, 02 April 2019 - 01:30 AM.