[GUIDE] Manual Cleaning Skyrim and Skyrim Special Edition Master files

Deleted133263User

Because of the new -quickautoclean you no longer need to clean files more then once. You no longer need to clean any DLC more then once. You do not need to clean Dawnguard more then once. I am only repeating that three times because nobody seems to understand that these procedures are outdated and no longer needed.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NOTE : This guide is now out of date - I dont have any Bethesda games installed anymore, and xEdit has changed greatly since I last had it installed.

Anyone wishes to re-do this guide on a new page bringing it up to date .. Crack on :D

First post has also been updated with the same message

Edited by Guest

• 9 months later...

Tutorial has become kind of redundant because of the QuickAutoClean addition to the latest versions of xEdit. But it has largely served its purpose and still will for folks who haven't updated/won't update xEdit.

• 4 months later...

I just want to make sure the current advise is still to take care of the masters for 1.5.97. Sorry to be so brief, but for some reason I keep hitting a block when I post my full question. Basically, I read something along the way that gives me pause and I don't want to do the wrong thing

And if anyone knows if AFT can also be quick cleaned, I'd welcome an answer so I don't have to dig through its webpage's large posts tab.

• 1 year later...

Even if you use the QuickAutoClean method there are still problems with Undeleted References which can still be fixed and should be fixed. Once you clean the mod first it may find Undeleted References that cannot be removed.

What I do is look at the numeric designations it gives the Undeleted References and find it, they are usually in the Worldspace records section of the mod or in the Cell records occasionally. When you find an Undeleted Reference on the right pane of SSEEdit it shows near the top in green on yellow background the worlds Deleted. Right click on that and it opens a small window with many boxes and one should be check marked that says "Delete". Uncheck that box and hit ok, it now goes back to being a normal reference but it still needs to be cleaned again if you want the mod entirely clean. But it requires going through the mod again with a fine tooth comb to remove all of the Undeleted References. Luckily SSEEdit is such an amazingly awesome tool it gives you all the info under Right Pane Messages Tab in order to clean it properly.

I am unsure about fully cleaning Undeleted References but if you do what I outlined is how you do it. After the first cleaning using the auto clean method a mod might say it has x amount of Undeleted References. Find those, uncheck the Deleted check mark box, hit OK. Close SSEEdit and save the file if need be. Now when you use the quick auto clean method again it tells you it just removed X amount of deleted references, which depending on if you found them all or not should match numerically to the references it said it could not remove during the first cleaning.

Voila, mod fully cleaned.

• 4 weeks later...

FYI - I had a bad bug in DB, the Ch. 6 room just before the word wall/dragon ride would not load. After checking elsewhere, it turns out that this bug occurs w/cleaned master files. I verified my files through Steam, got them re-downloaded, and loaded the save just before using the Ch. 6 book to get to the room. Everything was ok at this point.

The thread I saw said to run autoclean in SSEEdit w/a "-DontCache" argument to avoid this problem. I have never seen this argument discussed before. Anyone else have a better perspective on this? I made it through DB, and am loathe to try the autoclean process again w/o some verification.

Update (as of 8 August) - still using the original, verified files w/no problems. If anything, my game seems more stable with these 'dirty' masters.

• 3 months later...

I have covered all the information there needs to be concerning the cleaning of the files of Skyrim. Waiting for a few day to see if anyone will mention anything about the Creation Club content of the Anniversary Edition. You can get all the updated information needed for cleaning in my CBM Guide.