Unusual Request: Night Terrors

MystikMuzik

I came up with this idea while I was thinking about a personal character that I have grown and developed in my head, outside of the game as well as inside it. They suffer from night terrors due to certain events that have transpired in their life, and I believe it would be interesting to have this little unusual mod.

The basic concept would be that under a configurable chance, when you sleep, your character will enter a dimension where they face foes or must navigate a deadly plane of traps or natural hazards (or all three).

I understand the complexity of modding despite not being a modder myself. This could involve expertise in most fields of modding Skyrim. I'd like the following to be configurable if possible...

Enemies, i.e. Draugr, Bandits, Vampires, combination, etc. (Also maybe a dynamic mode that takes into account enemies you have recently killed, maybe even bosses that you must face again).

Domains, i.e.

Deep caverns filled with magma and sparse ground to tread upon

A hellish realm where you stand atop a jagged platform with reddish/yellow nothingness whirling around you

Foggy and maze-like swamp with ancient ruins

Dungeon filled with traps, etc.

Also as a last bit, an option to turn the mod on or off in the game, as I share this computer with others and they may not be as thrilled with the concept as I am.

Many thanks for reading this and taking it into consideration. I don't have nexus premium currently but if you wish to undertake this task and discuss concepts for it my "Kik" username is "MystikMuzik", as is my "Line" username

I don't mod but I think this is a cool idea and definitely a mod I would have snatched up if I saw it. Maybe integrate some sort of detrimental "bonuses" to the game to combat the rested/well rested perks. So you level at half xp(or at least a fraction) after a sleepless night, or if you get vanquished in the dream world.

Definitely going to follow this. I'd love to see this become a mod.

• 2 weeks later...

Why not make it a quest? A nightmare quest where you finish when you sleep to continue the story next time, say you fall asleep and some event start where you wake up in a place "within a dream" (while in game it's just another cell) then when you finish that event you wake up, and then you sleep again sometime and another quest to followup the first one starts etc.

would be a cool mod, with many special effects etc, would absolutley battle monsters in my sleep for sure :smile: also gives room for non lorefriendly monsters to appear .

It would be nice that within that dream it gives clues where to go in the physical world to find an item or something like that.

• 1 year later...

Realistically, a night terror is a state of half-sleep filled with hallucinations. If you were interrupted from your sleep only to see NPCs as the enemy creatures and monsters who aren't actually there, that could be fun in and of itself.

With real demons (Draugr etc), actually entering some demonic realm does make sense, but if the two were mixed up it could especially cause worry for the player as they don't know if they should fight back and risk committing a crime, or run away.

Night Terrors are brought upon by various forms of stress, so sleeping at an inn would be less likely to trigger them, while sleeping in dungeons would have a higher rate of it; what enemies you had to fight against recently could also have an effect, with sitting at an inn and listening to bards lowering it.