SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

Other then the first two files. I forgot the second time this started was due to a bugged feature in v4 of Legacy of the Dragonborn. The very first file I think I had did it about midway. The third file I did it at the end of that run since it was within 3 hours it happened. The 4th time it was relatively early on in the playthrough, though that one was really short, 30 hours when the CTDs started, and now this time, I was just summoned by them. I did check the files, and one unattached instance was found... and I just deleted all the saves, crap. Well there goes any chance of figuring it out on my end. Though I think I didn't do the wyre bash right.

I've deleted all the mods and am going to uninstall SE and go back to oldrim.

Edit: The unattached instance didn't say what it was from, or what it even was. It was present from around 20 hours in.

Edited by SaintGW

• Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Oka

Other then the first two files. I forgot the second time this started was due to a bugged feature in v4 of Legacy of the Dragonborn. The very first file I think I had did it about midway. The third file I did it at the end of that run since it was within 3 hours it happened. The 4th time it was relatively early on in the playthrough, though that one was really short, 30 hours when the CTDs started, and now this time, I was just summoned by them. I did check the files, and one unattached instance was found... and I just deleted all the saves, crap. Well there goes any chance of figuring it out on my end. Though I think I didn't do the wyre bash right.

Edit: The unattached instance didn't say what it was from, or what it even was. It was present from around 20 hours in.

Okay. That definitely sounds like a mod problem, or maybe a wrye bash problem. We would need to see what the unattached instance was. Does it have any data at all? A name?

(26June2020)

This maybe a bit premature but my issue fits in with this post but since this post has over 25 pages of submissions I only got to page 13.

At page 13, I was able to figure out and resolve my issue but I have not fully tested it (over 100 hours of game play). Previously I had tried all sorts of loading orders, installations and re-installations of Mods, used "TOOL" to sort my load order, rebuilt my MOD list from ground up following every line of instructions, requirements, dependencies and compatibility recommendations, Performed new install of Skyrim SE - so forth and so on, multiple times, and nothing worked.

One member in this thread named "BlueGunk" mentioned that her issue was still on going and she fixed it by disabling her PC Head Tracking software Mod. Well this triggered an experience I had many years ago with a PC Steam game that was ported over from an XBOX Game Console which caused my mouse to become erratic and it was impossible to play the game after install. I eventually found out the cause of the mouse conflict with that game was my H.O.T.A.S. system. I disconnected both USB H.O.T.A.S. controllers on the back of my PC and the problem went away.

Well Success Has Arrived!

That same problem caused my issue here with Skyrim Special Edition Mods (not able to save after x amount of playtime). The fact is I was getting conflicts like main menus (in "Immersive Horses") not working in game after enabling them in MCM for those Mods but Sub Functions of those same Mods work fine. I have not tried your fix here "squireoivanhoe" but your post lead me to my fix and I felt compelled to share my findings with your readers who are seeking a fix for their issue; hope this helps others in the future. Try disconnecting and or powering off any gaming Peripherals/Devices you have on your PC...

Success Ends (28June2020)!

Doesn't appear to have sustained long term success; for that I'm sorry.

New Success Begins (29June2020)!

I recently found this and it allowed me to save over a previously known faulty game load with all MODs enabled. I don't know how long this will last either....

Edited by mayhawpie

Oka

Okay. That definitely sounds like a mod problem, or maybe a wrye bash problem. We would need to see what the unattached instance was. Does it have any data at all? A name?

Nothing. It had no name, no folder, or file location, nothing. The other times the CTDs happened on other files, i think it was either iHud or predator vision, but I doubt it was them causing it.

And to top all of this off, now I can't even get Oldrim to run stable, I am starting to think I'm not meant to be playing Skyrim at all right now.

Edit: Well I'm not dealing with Skyrim crashing every 30 mins, or when I try to loot something, or get stuck on an infinite load screen, so reinstalling special edition, and looks like some of my saves made it. It says something about an object missing, gives an ID: 00000067aa64da70, I clicked on the object reference and it says something about trap oil, and that the file is from the Skyrim.esm, so it is apparently something in the master file of the game?

I've added 2 screenshots, hopefully they're better then my explanation

Edited by SaintGW

(26June2020)

This maybe a bit premature but my issue fits in with this post but since this post has over 25 pages of submissions I only got to page 13.

At page 13, I was able to figure out and resolve my issue but I have not fully tested it (over 100 hours of game play). Previously I had tried all sorts of loading orders, installations and re-installations of Mods, used "TOOL" to sort my load order, rebuilt my MOD list from ground up following every line of instructions, requirements, dependencies and compatibility recommendations, Performed new install of Skyrim SE - so forth and so on, multiple times, and nothing worked.

One member in this thread named "BlueGunk" mentioned that her issue was still on going and she fixed it by disabling her PC Head Tracking software Mod. Well this triggered an experience I had many years ago with a PC Steam game that was ported over from an XBOX Game Console which caused my mouse to become erratic and it was impossible to play the game after install. I eventually found out the cause of the mouse conflict with that game was my H.O.T.A.S. system. I disconnected both USB H.O.T.A.S. controllers on the back of my PC and the problem went away.

Well Success Has Arrived!

That same problem caused my issue here with Skyrim Special Edition Mods (not able to save after x amount of playtime). The fact is I was getting conflicts like main menus (in "Immersive Horses") not working in game after enabling them in MCM for those Mods but Sub Functions of those same Mods work fine. I have not tried your fix here "squireoivanhoe" but your post lead me to my fix and I felt compelled to share my findings with your readers who are seeking a fix for their issue; hope this helps others in the future. Try disconnecting and or powering off any gaming Peripherals/Devices you have on your PC...

Success Ends (28June2020)!

Doesn't appear to have sustained long term success; for that I'm sorry.

New Success Begins (29June2020)!

I recently found this and it allowed me to save over a previously known faulty game load with all MODs enabled. I don't know how long this will last either....

mayhawpie If it lasts for more than 10 hours you might be in the clear. Otherwise it's probably similar to the bandaid effect mentioned earlier in the thread. We now have 2 confirmed fixes, so if your technique doesn't work I recommend giving both a try.

Oka

Nothing. It had no name, no folder, or file location, nothing. The other times the CTDs happened on other files, i think it was either iHud or predator vision, but I doubt it was them causing it.

And to top all of this off, now I can't even get Oldrim to run stable, I am starting to think I'm not meant to be playing Skyrim at all right now.

Edit: Well I'm not dealing with Skyrim crashing every 30 mins, or when I try to loot something, or get stuck on an infinite load screen, so reinstalling special edition, and looks like some of my saves made it. It says something about an object missing, gives an ID: 00000067aa64da70, I clicked on the object reference and it says something about trap oil, and that the file is from the Skyrim.esm, so it is apparently something in the master file of the game?

I've added 2 screenshots, hopefully they're better then my explanation attachicon.gif skyrim error.pngattachicon.gif skyrimerr2.png

Wait, was your issue just general crashes/looting/load screens? This thread is only about CTD on saving. Are you still having that?

Oka

I've added 2 screenshots, hopefully they're better then my explanation attachicon.gif skyrim error.pngattachicon.gif skyrimerr2.png

Wait, was your issue just general crashes/looting/load screens? This thread is only about CTD on saving. Are you still having that?

No, the general crashes were on Oldrim, not SE, I just found it funny that oldrim gave me a lot more problem's.

The screenshots are of the SE files that had the CTDs on save, well the ones that I thankfully missed when I uninstalled SE and went back to Oldrim, but it was extremely unstable, and I had no clue what was going on with it so, I said screw it and reinstalled SE and found that I missed some files, which I have now moved to a backup folder just in case. And as I said in my last post, the unattached instance come from the Skyrim.esm or at least that is what the links in reSaver showed. Though I missed the one that showed it was from the skyrim.esm, I'll add that now to this post. It's trap oil that is missing apparently. This from the SE CTDs on save files.

Hmmm. That is odd. Is there a chance that any of your mods would alter trap oil? Also, did you try the SSE engine fixes? Sorry, life has been hectic and I've forgotten.

I have no clue if any of my mods did mess with them, the only ones I can think of would of been smim, or maybe ordinator, since that allows you to place your own, but I never take that perk so there is no reason it would of been the cause, and if smim was the culprit then I would suspect a lot more people would have this issue.

I did use engine fixes for the file in the screenshots, but I see it has been updated and now requires a program to run c++, which I'm not really wanting to add more files or programs to my computer just to run a single game.

But I have started over this time with no smim, no legacy of the dragonborn, and I think a few other mods.