SSE CTD on Save After Hours of Gameplay

squireoivanhoe

I can't decipher this CTD error.

I actually can save everywhere. However, I start having this problem upon saving inside Wyrmstooth Temple/Barrow (Main Quest). Even if I exit the place to save elsewhere, I still have the lingering CTD.

EDIT: I fixed the issue after putting "uiCompression=1" at Skyrim.ini

EDIT 2: It does not work as my save will CTD upon loading it. I have SSE Engines Fixes and Bug Fixes at the same time.

Edited by AlisaLara

• 5 weeks later...
  • Replies 287
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't decipher this CTD error.

I actually can save everywhere. However, I start having this problem upon saving inside Wyrmstooth Temple/Barrow (Main Quest). Even if I exit the place to save elsewhere, I still have the lingering CTD.

EDIT: I fixed the issue after putting "uiCompression=1" at Skyrim.ini

EDIT 2: It does not work as my save will CTD upon loading it. I have SSE Engines Fixes and Bug Fixes at the same time.

That sounds like a bad mod bug. Check the Wyrmstooth page, or just don't do that mod.

• 4 weeks later...

I also have the same problem now. Vortex, 230 mods, FNIS, LOOT, SSEE, SKSE64. I tried cleaning the saves. Fortunately, I read this post and went back to a saved game about 5 saves back, which means I didn't lose much, and I can save at the moment.

I had always deleted my old saves to keep the saved games folder small (10 to 15 saves in there at most). And I never load from an Autosave, and I never use quick save. I have been doing this for years, as well as cleaning the saves at the first sign of trouble.

Sounds like I am going to need to track this thread.

• 3 weeks later...

I had a fully repeatable crash-on-save as well. I dug into it. It looks like USSEP modifies some leveled lists via scripts in order to support retroactive fixes across versions and upgrades. One of the LVLI records was directly implicated in my crash. I went into Resaver, found the form ID in the .NET crash log and purged both the change to the LVLI record and the corresponding USSEP retroactive fix script. This cured my crash. I'm aware this is NOT ideal - rolling back fixes from USSEP is not a great habit. However, I'm willing to sacrifice a few minor fixes if it lets me continue a doomed save.

To be absolutely clear, I don't think USSEP is directly responsible for breaking my save. I believe the problem arises with how I started my play-through off. I did not start with a fully "clean" save; my initial save includes USSEP before leaving Helgen. I stacked on the rest of my mod list (99% of them) on top of that save with USSEP. If I had to venture a guess, starting a save off with USSEP and then introducing the rest of a mod-list is a bad idea. The retroactive fix scripts might be binding to out-of-date form IDs & records, which somehow cause crashes when the game tries to serialize.

Crash log

Skyrim .NET crash log - Pastebin.com

Relevant post on Reddit

Edited by bladeshriek

• 4 weeks later...

I had a fully repeatable crash-on-save as well. I dug into it. It looks like USSEP modifies some leveled lists via scripts in order to support retroactive fixes across versions and upgrades. One of the LVLI records was directly implicated in my crash. I went into Resaver, found the form ID in the .NET crash log and purged both the change to the LVLI record and the corresponding USSEP retroactive fix script. This cured my crash. I'm aware this is NOT ideal - rolling back fixes from USSEP is not a great habit. However, I'm willing to sacrifice a few minor fixes if it lets me continue a doomed save.

To be absolutely clear, I don't think USSEP is directly responsible for breaking my save. I believe the problem arises with how I started my play-through off. I did not start with a fully "clean" save; my initial save includes USSEP before leaving Helgen. I stacked on the rest of my mod list (99% of them) on top of that save with USSEP. If I had to venture a guess, starting a save off with USSEP and then introducing the rest of a mod-list is a bad idea. The retroactive fix scripts might be binding to out-of-date form IDs & records, which somehow cause crashes when the game tries to serialize.

Crash log

Relevant post on Reddit

I have this exact same issue, callstack error BGSSaveGameBuffer relating to TESLevItem 00098E5F. I went and removed that levelled item in the bash patch and USSEP via xedit along with removing any instances found within the saved game with resaver only to have the game spit out another Levitem for the USSEP so did the same thing again both were food related items. I doubt this is the end of my woes though and imagine another will pop up eventually relating to yet something else.

Honestly might just have to give up if it continues.

Crash log

Relevant post on Reddit

I have this exact same issue, callstack error BGSSaveGameBuffer relating to TESLevItem 00098E5F. I went and removed that levelled item in the bash patch and USSEP via xedit along with removing any instances found within the saved game with resaver only to have the game spit out another Levitem for the USSEP so did the same thing again both were food related items. I doubt this is the end of my woes though and imagine another will pop up eventually relating to yet something else.

Honestly might just have to give up if it continues.

I don't think it will continue endlessly. There are only so many retro-active fixes in USSEP. Another solution is to uninstall whichever mods over-wrote those records (probably something that adjusts inn and food costs like RD&D or Vitality Mode). The real solution is probably to start over with all mods frozen at the start of the playthrough but I'm not ready to give up yet on my save lol. Would rather just make surgical fixes like this and carry on.

I don't think it will continue endlessly. There are only so many retro-active fixes in USSEP. Another solution is to uninstall whichever mods over-wrote those records (probably something that adjusts inn and food costs like RD&D or Vitality Mode). The real solution is probably to start over with all mods frozen at the start of the playthrough but I'm not ready to give up yet on my save lol. Would rather just make surgical fixes like this and carry on.

Yeah I truly hope not, I have like 60-70hrs on this save. The real question is why did it play nicely for so long and then all of sudden just start causing issues. I also have Vitality mode which did include said levelled lists both of which I removed. The bash patch, vitality and of course USSEP have all been in my load order since I began the save so it's just baffling why it took so long to occur.

I suspect something else is at play just not sure what.

m5holmez we've seen it both from bad mods and mod combinations just being too much for the engine. And time-wise this can take a really long time to manifest, for me it was over 100 hours until it manifested. And bladeshriek is right that the safest way to play is with your modlist frozen from the start, because if you mess with the original load order at all (which depending on the mods will be necessary) the game doesn't like mods that were in one spot in the load order that got moved to another. That being said, I've added mods to the the save I started back in 2017, and it's still going strong, so you can make it work as long as you keep an eye on it.

• 2 months later...

I have this appearing in a 30-hour save, when I open it with ReSaver:

There are 110 stacks and 224 frames, which may indicate a problem.
csvictimquestscript occurs the most often (53 occurrences)

This script is from that investigation quest in Windhelm, which I did not started, but I probably ran past the guard.

If I go back to that city and talk to the guard, this still appear in the save.

There are no crashes happening, but is it something to worry about on long-term? Or these stacks close themselves after some time?