Xbox 720 to ban second hand game sales ?

Marthos

I read about this some where, its not a very good idea, take from sony for instant. The online pass for one, imparently their sales aren't doing to well. well what do you thinks causing it???, the online pass crap of course.

ugh this right here is what i believe killed the Resistance series.

in case your unaware, Insomniac has come out saying that they are all done with the Resistance series. one can only assume its because R3 didnt sell as good as the other two, and that is due to the fact that it had an Online Pass and many people just skipped it cause they couldnt afford it new, and was useless to buy used (unless you purchased just for the story...like i did)

on another note, another thing ruining games is the fact that every game has to have an online portion to the game/always has to have a competitive mode. devs are focusing less on story and more on making sure they tack on a competitive mode, because ppl NEED to play those modes so they can beat other ppl then brag about it like it matters....and thats what sells

if your gunna do online, make it coop. id rather play with friends then against them. Resistance 2 had Online Coop (8 player coop!) and thats the most fun ive ever had with any game i think. Demons Souls had online coop, another one of my most played games ever....too few games come out with coop anymore "/....Resistance 3 had coop too, and it was fun, but since it was Campaign coop, it was pretty boring...its better to have a separate Coop, with maps and all that. imo...but going way OT now lol

Edited by hoofhearted4

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

who said requirement to play was stated requirement to activate

Erm, every game with this sort of thing cannot be played unless you activate. Activating, by nature of having any meaning at all, would mean that the game would be unplayable until it was used, connected online, and the local machine was given a patch or something that would allow the game to be used. It's the same process that has been in place for PC games for several years. It's a main component in keeping people from reselling their games since the code related with a disc can only be registered to one machine. And unlike a computer, consoles don't have the argument about having to reformat or delete data every now and then. Activation and being able to play have always been hand in hand.

you seem to be arguing a point that is known not to exist

consider Fallout New Vegas

you must connect to internet to activate

you do not need to be connected to internet to play

model already exists

so you adding the requirement to be connected to internet simply to play

already has a real world foil to defeat your argument

if only for the PC version, but this is on a new console --- they don't have to use the same bag of tricks that the current consoles use - they logically could use a different strategy -- in fact this entire thread is about a different strategy

is there a difference between connecting to the internet and connecting to Xbox Live?.....take for example, the Ps3 (cause its the console i have)...back when the PSN got hacked, you obviously couldnt connect to it, but you could still technically connect to the internet, since i still had internet....now im not sure if you have to be connected to PSN to connect to the internet with the console (i never tried) but yea. if you could be connected to the internet and not PSN then it wouldnt be a big deal for me.

now for xbox it would be a bit different since you have to pay for Live, and id be pissed if i HAD to be connected to their network which you have to pay for, considering your already paying for your own network....

now for xbox it would be a bit different since you have to pay for Live, and id be pissed if i HAD to be connected to their network which you have to pay for, considering your already paying for your own network....

but of course

that is just one possible scenario

for a new piece of hardware

what if they changed things

internet to activate

x-live to play any online game

of course I don't really expect anything rational out of Micro$haft

but it is a possibility

(now stop laughing)

Sony has said they arent even gunna reveal anything this year. i dont expect anything out of Sony until like 2014 if that....Sony said they wanted it to be a 10 year console, which would mean you wouldnt see a Ps4 until 2016 or 2017, but we will see.

If the next gen games have to be activated by internet, then it looks like I'm going to sticking to games the are playable on my laptop from then on. :(

I live out in the middle of nowhere, where my only choice for internet is by satellite (its horrible) and I don't connect my xbox to the internet ever (my internet connection just can't handle it), so I would be a little out of luck when it comes to consoles. I already get a little mad when having to deal with steam (I know some like it, but when you can't get any of its benefits and are forced to jump through its hoops to play a single player game you get a little frustrated), internet connection to play Elder Scrolls (insert future number here) on console would put me a little of the edge.

Things like this remind me that I really need to get a good desktop pc...

consider Fallout New Vegas

You still needed to connect once. With that console. Not exactly easy if you don't have a modem line for the console, or have a Live account in order to connect.

The analogy would be if Steam required a monthly fee, even if you bought a game, just because it required an online activation through a service you would still have to register and connect through that service and be responsible for any related fees.

Something like this will likely also kill game rentals and such since games which become locked to one specific console can't really be rented out. This alone might kill console sales since it will lead to players who don't have the option of trying out new games, seeing them at friends houses, ect. without making a sizable investment at the game's retail price. All it takes is buying a few crappy, overhyped games and have no other option to make them run away from anything related to your company, or spend the effort and risk involved in illegal activities.

The analogy would be if Steam required a monthly fee, even if you bought a game, just because it required an online activation through a service you would still have to register and connect through that service and be responsible for any related fees.

Something like this will likely also kill game rentals and such since games which become locked to one specific console can't really be rented out. This alone might kill console sales since it will lead to players who don't have the option of trying out new games, seeing them at friends houses, ect. without making a sizable investment at the game's retail price. All it takes is buying a few crappy, overhyped games and have no other option to make them run away from anything related to your company, or spend the effort and risk involved in illegal activities.

Give Steam some time and once they have the market locked up (like they are close to doing already) and I wouldn't be surprised if they start charging a monthly fee !!

And killing the rental and resale market is exactly what STEAM was designed to do for the PC market (Even though they try to say it was to stop Piracy !) and since everyone has gone along with the concept it is now going to start to be brought to the Console market as well -- Figure the developers and distributors would like nothing more than to have the rental and resale market disappear so that they can control the pricing of their games and make more profit. It is a natural evolution of the DRM scheme and was the plan from the beginning so no surprises here !