Xbox 720 to ban second hand game sales ?

Marthos

Well Sony is looking better then the 720P, becuase the CEO of sony is against banning used games idea. Edited by Thor.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Good.

Maybe it will get more people off of Xbox and give Microsoft less money to bribe PC developers to delay their DLCs with.

Anyway, the ideal way to handle the whole scenario is this:

Pre-owned games work out of the box ... except for multiplayer.

Why? Because when you bought a used copy you gave the developer nothing. Why should you be able to use their servers (note: most console games don't actually use servers much at all, most use peer to peer rubbish like CoD and Halo with light server involvement for matchmaking and stats tracking)? Single player devs can opt to release free content to new game owners post-launch, which functions both as an incentive to buy new and an incentive not to resell.

Like it or not, buying a used game IS essentially piracy. The only difference is that it's legal, and you're more or less entitled to it because a game disc is a physical thing you can put in someone else's hands. What isn't so physical is the multiplayer component / content stored on servers somewhere. Anyway, the broad point is that in both cases the game was played without the developer seeing a penny. I'm for some manner of used game availability, but it doesn't necessarily need to come with post-launch support or multiplayer, since both of those cost the devs money.

Edited by Zinthros

Like it or not, buying a used game IS essentially piracy. The only difference is that it's legal, and you're more or less entitled to it because a game disc is a physical thing you can put in someone else's hands. What isn't so physical is the multiplayer component / content stored on servers somewhere. Anyway, the broad point is that in both cases the game was played without the developer seeing a penny. I'm for some manner of used game availability, but it doesn't necessarily need to come with post-launch support or multiplayer, since both of those cost the devs money.

By definition the act of piracy is illegal. To say the used game market is legal piracy is absurd. I borrowed a friends truck to help me move, it that considered grand theft auto? How about the guy with the loud music in his car, is it piracy because I can hear it in my car without paying for that song? Buying used is not piracy, the developer did receive money for one copy of the game; it doesn't matter who is using that one copy. Even if somebody walked into a store and stole a physical copy of the game, the developer still got their money for that copy from the store when the store placed the order to stock the game. If developers don't want people to play used copies of their games then they need to make games that people aren't going to turn around and sell back to the store a week after buying it. They need to quit marketing every single game to every single player type. A hybrid FPS/RPG/RTS/HOG/MOBA/TMG/4X/MUD isn't going to be equally liked by all the fans of each of those genres no matter how much money the studio spends over hyping it. More likely you will get fans of all genres to buy the game, who will all then realize that the gameplay elements they were interested in were way over-promised and they will trade it in for something they actually want to play.

It's probably down to GameStop, Game Group Ltd (Game/Gamestation) UK taking the piss out of the developers. Including something which is probably based on Anti-Piracy.

If they do this with the 720, I won't care. Because the PC Market will just become stronger again. The video below contains strong language

Pirates always seem to get the best deals, while it's those who pay legitimately who will get the short end of the stick (every time) Many developers are pissing off their customers, Ubisoft and EA are fine examples of this.

UbiSoft - Assassin's Creed (A single player game) - and having to have access to the internet to play single player. Many have taken up this model.. Diablo 3, which was abysmal on launch day, and still has problems even to this day.

EA - Online passes to get some money back for the Game Groups selling used copies etc.

who pirate are going to pirate no matter what the law or rule is, no matter what kind of restrictions their are. laws that try to hinder pirates really only hinder those who would never pirate to begin with, but in the end could potentially cause those who wouldnt pirate, to actually pirate.

stopping used game sales is just plain stupid. the only way i can afford to buy games is buy trading in my old ones. without the store credit i get from that i would never be able to buy more games. i wont say i trade in my games and then buy a new game. i buy whats cheaper. which usually means i buy another used game. however, i still do buy new games, if there is something in it from buying a new game (maybe a early demo for another game or free launch DLC, etc) or if they dont have a used game of that particular game

as someone said, if devs make games that people dont wanna return, then they wouldnt have to worry as much. there are several games in my collection that i will never return. most because they have replay value, even if ive played them several times already, others were just soo good, that i keep them simply because i loved the game so much, even if the replay value isnt as great compared to other games. for example, FO3 or MGS4 ive played through several times each. i will always keep them to play again. or on the other side, a game like Resistance: FoM (all Ps3 btw) was a great game. i dont really plan on playing it again, but i loved the series in general soo much that i keep the game simply for my support of the series. if that makes sense.

• 2 months later...
I heard about this... technically it's not Microsoft.. a Student from Asia currently in America found texts to be extremely expensive so he contacted family overseas who were able to buy the same texts at HALF the price .. they bought a LOT of texts which they sent him.. he resold them and pocketed the money.. The company that issues the books sued saying he cannot resell books he's already paid for legally... even as used... all money he makes selling a book second hand that he paid for and bought legally MUST go to them.. he can't buy a book from them then after he's done with it resell it.. (Used) it's currently in the courts and if he actually loses it would set a precedent making it possible for ANY company to sue and win if you resell anything they sell as a used second hand item without giving them the cash. Basically this would make yard sales, flea markets used car lots.. even Auctions... illegal and subject to a lawsuit. even going to your local comic shop and buying used comics and books a no go...... it would become illegal. Used games would be the same.

• 5 weeks later...
Buying second hand titles is really the only positive point for me that consoles have over PC. Every game I got for console I bought used. Because I'm reluctant to fork out $60 for a new game on release day. They never fail at disappointing me. I'd rather the game get released and be played for awhile before I decide to buy it. That way all the negatives and positives are written about. All the flagship games are overrated by the professional reviewers.

I heard about this... technically it's not Microsoft.. a Student from Asia currently in America found texts to be extremely expensive so he contacted family overseas who were able to buy the same texts at HALF the price .. they bought a LOT of texts which they sent him.. he resold them and pocketed the money.. The company that issues the books sued saying he cannot resell books he's already paid for legally... even as used... all money he makes selling a book second hand that he paid for and bought legally MUST go to them.. he can't buy a book from them then after he's done with it resell it.. (Used) it's currently in the courts and if he actually loses it would set a precedent making it possible for ANY company to sue and win if you resell anything they sell as a used second hand item without giving them the cash. Basically this would make yard sales, flea markets used car lots.. even Auctions... illegal and subject to a lawsuit. even going to your local comic shop and buying used comics and books a no go...... it would become illegal. Used games would be the same.

If he loses this case it wouldnt make sense... many restaurants might buy from local food vendors to create dishes with. Is the dishes they create with that food and resell considered used and therefore illegal?

It's a stupid concept just like money-hungry EA's absurd online fee. Last time I checked, $60 a year was enough of an online fee on top of my internet bill...