NCRCF Fort

crazyjake252

I always liked how the NCR Correctional Facility was setup and think it would make a great player home/fort if it wasn't for the fact that every container and item there is marked as Red, so it's stealing to take things from them... the simple version is to make it more player friendly by making it so that you don't get screwed by the Red Letters.

I always liked how the NCR Correctional Facility was setup and think it would make a great player home/fort if it wasn't for the fact that every container and item there is marked as Red, so it's stealing to take things from them... the simple version is to make it more player friendly by making it so that you don't get screwed by the Red Letters.

I think that one would be pretty easy, because I recall a function (IIRC) to change ownership over a whole cell. When I'm up and running I'll look into it. However if someone want's to knock it out for you, it should be listed in gribbles NVSE page.

Just make it the players by default

I don't think that would be a good idea. I try to make mods that more than one person can benefit from, and having that cell set to teh players by default would cause problems with crime behavior by NPCs (for players that haven't cleared the facility). Plus it would be a waste of a dynamic solution.

If you just want it set for yourself by default you can probably just use a console command;

SetCellOwnership NCRCF

SetCellOwnership NCRPrisonAdministration

SetCellOwnership NCRPrisonBlockA

SetCellOwnership NCRPrisonBlockB

SetCellOwnership NCRPrisonVisitorsCenter

I haven't tried it but it should work fine from console. Or just go into the geck and set the cell details to the player's ownership. What I'm suggesting is a scripted solution that will transfer ownership in a game friendly way.

If your interested in making it an actual home/hideout, then a little bit of creativity will go a long way. A trigger can be used to convert it to the players's ownership that would make sense in the context of "clearing" the location. For instance a check against all powder gangers in the facility being dead, or a activator like fallout 4's workbenches etc.

In addition I can add some custom meshes that fit the NCRCF and are a requirement for a player home. For example in this space constrained NCR home I made a mini work bench and a mini reloading bench to maximize available room (as well as a mounted yao guai head). Pic;

http://i1066.photobucket.com/albums/u404/devinlpatterson/NCRhome_zps931f2dd1.jpg

On the other hand if you just want to avoid the penalties associated with the cell either of the two methods I mentioned above will work, but I think it's a wasted opportunity not exploring the NCRCF as a full fledged player home. It's been a long time since I'v been at the locale, so I don't have a lot of ideas off the top of my head, but building some turrets in the yard would be useful, and I'm sure other users can suggest things that would be useful or that they would like to see.

I like th e second idea... and add some Sentry Bots to the Front Gate.

This would be a great alternative to the 'I Fought the Law' Quest (the idea is that you decide to just up and clear the place by yourself, which declares the quest as failed)

From their you could even decide to begin to setup a base for the Independent New Vegas Path... Can you make it so that you can recruit Desert Rangers? Because I really like the Desert Rangers, and I think they'd be perfect for an Independent New Vegas.

I like th e second idea...

The second? You mean making it a home/settlement?

and add some Sentry Bots to the Front Gate.

Sentry bots are very powerful, arguably one of the toughest vanilla bots in teh game (guess the upgraded Securitrons might be good competition). Just creating them out of whole cloth would be a cheat for most players that enjoy a challenge.

How about something like this (to cover all types of players);

1. a simple cheat menu

2. purchase the items ie like the lucky 38 terminal (don't know how that one would work, maybe a friendly trader that swings by?)

3. I can add robot parts to destroyed bots if you have a high enough science skill or the robotics expert perk. These parts can scavenged and assembled into a functioning bot at the workbench.

I believe it would be easy enough to co-opt the workbench since it's just an activator with a workbench script (doesn't even have to use the same mesh, it could have a custom look to reflect the NCRCF), we simply add or own code. I'm not a scripter but I can accomplish simple things with the help of examples and other members input/tutelage.

This could apply for all bots and turrets.

This would be a great alternative to the 'I Fought the Law' Quest (the idea is that you decide to just up and clear the place by yourself, which declares the quest as failed)

I'll check it out, I'm sure we can add an extra stage or alter a stage.

From their you could even decide to begin to setup a base for the Independent New Vegas Path...

What are your ideas in that regard?

Can you make it so that you can recruit Desert Rangers? Because I really like the Desert Rangers, and I think they'd be perfect for an Independent New Vegas.

Some of the aspects you like about the desert rangers are exactly the qualities that would preclude them from being recruited. Loyality for one, and the fact that at this date, they'v been with the NCR for a decade. The fierce independence as survivalists is another quality of the desert rangers. It took the legion and the shadow of defeat at their hands (as well as their atrocities toward settlers the desert rangers tried to protect) to convince them to join the NCR. You can bet it wasn't a decision made lightly.

Simply being an independent NV wouldn't qualify you as a banner to gather around for desert rangers, anymore than they would consider joinging Robert House. An independent NV can be the home of a despot, a madman, or simply an adventurer. I'd say based on the lore we have you would have to attract them by appealing to their values. For instance protecting settlers and other "innocents", defeating and driving back forces like Caesers, etc. I don't think they (or at least most) would respond to threats/coercion, or riches (they don't seem mercenary in nature) etc.

I believe for that reason it would be a tough sale, but you do have an avenue for their loyalty and it's already laid out in teh game world lore.

Some other misc stuff that might be useful;

A corn field in the prison yard (adds maize to a root celler food box if you have a robotic ranch hand/helper to harvest). Explosive (remnants of powder gangers supplies) traps at key locations (anything from IED) to give invaders a little suprise. Basic settlement items (generator, water, lighting etc etc).

There's probably a billion other things that make sense in the context of the type of facility NCRCF is and a base/defense. Possibly even a settler or two to liven up the place.

You won't be able to place these items, they will already be pre-chosen, but you can "create" them via one of the three methods mentioned above (cheat, buy, make).

We could have a "construction mode" like FO4's where you could see where items are placed and allow you to do so. For example I'll use the IEDs. You would essentially be hitting a hot key, then you would see glowing transparent explosive bundles near the entrance, near the fence line, etc. You could activate these tnt bundles and the glowing transparent bundles would disappear to be replaced by actual tnt bundles (if you have them in inventory). That way you can pick and choose the items to add. You can't/won't be able to move them, but this will at least give the player some choice.

The moving of settlement/home items is probably pretty advanced scripting or we would already see it in FONV. I'm sure someone will implement it (if they haven't already), but it's really above my pay grade.