Crash when entering oblivion gate

Molliejay

Can anyone help.

I have played Oblivion all the way through (with only the usual problems) before on this machine a few years ago, decided to reinstall and play again.

I get a crash when I try to enter the oblivion realm.

It happens consistently

I enter the realm of oblivion and there is a crash after a few tens of seconds.

It happens when I tried to enter the gate at Kvatch

It happened when I tried to do Peryites quest

It didn't happen during Boethia quest

I didn't get any further so did other things for a few dozen playing hours... I am now level 25, archmage and head of the fighter's guild . No consistent crashes during this play

I decided to try the main quest again.

Entered the gate...crash.

It appears to be associated with a loading area message.

I suspect that some feature/object/script is corrupted which is causing the crash.

If so how do I find and repair the corruption?

Running

I5 desktop

win7 home premium 64 bit

PC version of oblivion 5th annivertsary edition.

Geforce 650 card

8GB

500G drive >200G free

Mods ordered with LOOT and/via Wrye Bash

Cleaned, where appropriate, with Tes4Edit

• 1 year later...
  • 1 year later...

Disable a bunch of mods and check if the problem remains.

Check for conflicts using Oblivion Mod Manager

Open your mods in TES4Edit and check for the errors.

You don't have to deactivate a bunch of mods, just to check if there is a mod issue when the Mod Checker feature in Wrye Bash does that without deactivating any mod.

Also, don't forget to do this every time a mod is either installed or uninstalled.

1. Run BOSS or LOOT

2. Clean mods in TES4Edit if necessary then run BOSS or LOOT, otherwise skip this step if all mods are cleaned

3. Rebuild the Bashed Patch in Wrye Bash

4. Run TES4LODGen (can sometimes correct a mod issue of itself by generating LODGen files for all mods)

Should you still have an issue then try repair your gamesave via the Saves tab in Wrye Bash.

You don't have to deactivate a bunch of mods, just to check if there is a mod issue when the Mod Checker feature in Wrye Bash does that without deactivating any mod.

I already used this method many times to fix problems, plus Wrye Bash isn't as reliable as TES4Edit to detect the dirty mods.

@Oblivionaddicted - that method requires diablying 50% of your mods, then the other 50% to find the culprit, you keep disabling 50% of the remainder until you find the faulty mod. It's rather more than "disable a bunch of mods."

On the Wrye Bash "Scan for Dirty Edit function - "Oblivion only. Scans the selected plugin for Identical To Master records and deleted references, outputting counts of the dirty edits found. The dirty edit counts may differ from the output provided by TES4Edit as that includes other "junk" records in the ITM count. Wrye Bash does not count these junk records as they are non-harmful."

12 Purge Cell Buffers - Cell Change.esp [Version 1.0.0]

13 Purge Cell Buffers - Loading.esp [Version 1.0.0]

Anything that forcibly purges the cell buffers can cause a crash.

Do you have any graphical mods of OBSE plugins that don't have ESP files?

@Oblivionaddicted - that method requires diablying 50% of your mods, then the other 50% to find the culprit, you keep disabling 50% of the remainder until you find the faulty mod. It's rather more than "disable a bunch of mods."

Nothing forces you to act this way. If you have 100 mods for example you can as well deactivate 10 mods, check, etc then re-enable 5 among the last 10 when the problem disappeared. When you don't have any idea of the culprit and a bit of patience it's a very good solution.

I already used this method many times to fix problems, plus Wrye Bash isn't as reliable as TES4Edit to detect the dirty mods.

You're right Wrye Bash are not reliable as TES4Edit, but on the other hand TES4Edit cannot detect a missing master for a mod in a loadorder. Or can it detect a mod that has a missing master?

You're right Wrye Bash are not reliable as TES4Edit, but on the other hand TES4Edit cannot detect a missing master for a mod in a loadorder. Or can it detect a mod that has a missing master?

I didn't check but what's sure is nothing prevents you from detecting the masters through Wrye and cleaning via TES4Edit.