Companions won't follow into interior cells

JamesAutumn

I noticed a few days ago, that dogmeat not follow me into the cave (under RedRocket). It took a while until I realized that I turned off the opportunity to open the doors for his race. It's a cave. There are no doors :ermm:

However, the same applies to other locations. Well, I can open the doors for my dog.

Edited by orangedeal

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I noticed a few days ago, that dogmeat not follow me into the cave (under RedRocket). It took a while until I realized that I turned off the opportunity to open the doors for his race. It's a cave. There are no doors :ermm:

However, the same applies to other locations. Well, I can open the doors for my dog.

That's definitely interesting to see how that would cause him to not follow!

Thankfully since future builds of Place Everywhere I haven't had this issue since. But if you are using an older version, check page 5 of this topic for what someone told me on a steam forum for a fix. But otherwise i'm thking the newest versions of Place Everywhere addressed this issue.

Wow. This thread is still going huh? Yeah I can confirm that if you use the Place Anywhere mod it can screw things up. What I always do is have a follower test things for me when I build or move things. This way I know they work. Another thing to pay attention to is that even if place everywhere basically allows for building and moving stuff anywhere, there is a change in color when you are in a "correct" spot. Like if I tried to put a floor halfway through a building the color of the object stays one color and then when it is not colliding with the building the color changes. This does not solve all issues though because I have placed objects correctly some times and npcs still cannot use them. That's why I do the thing with followers.

That's definitely interesting to see how that would cause him to not follow!

Even without any mod, but with this setting:

http://distlinks.net/img/lnk/51ff81s44.gif

It will happen. I was surprised and frightened until I realized what changes this caused.

But dogs can not open doors! Well, not all doors. And not all dogs :smile:

• 3 months later...

worked, thx

moved "important" objects break AI navmesh totally. No idea how and why.

even disabling mods wont help once you ecounter such problem, need to revert "world state" back by loadign save.

If youre using place everywhere - i recommend save each time u want to build/change settlement - and make a quick test with any companion.

• 1 month later...

James you are a genius!

I don't have Place Everything but I do use a batch file to set timescale to zero for pics and crafting outfits for companions. I accidentally left it set at 0 several saves ago and couldn't get companions to follow. Found this thread, back to game, set timescale to 20 and they follow me into the building. Brilliant!

Thanks