Frost start save help

edgarina

Hi,

This is post from the main forum but I didn't get any replies and I wonder if should have been posted here.

I love fallout 4 and since hearing about frost have been dying to play it. However my computer skills, outside playing games, are really bad, i'm old for a gamer. By some miracle I managed to go through the process of getting frost working and setting up and using the Vault 111 start save. I can't seem to find let alone use the other start save the page mentions though.

I did the Vault 111 start and because I knew I would be outside without a gasmask I put it on very hard not survival. I managed to get to concord and clear out the museum, almost no health due to rads I can't shift yet, and find a gas mask before moving to survival difficulty but I still feel like I cheated somehow and am intrigued with the underground start. This is the bit I don't seem to be able to do and where a few extra instructions would be useful;

Extract the contents of the FROST Start Saves file into your save games folder (C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Saves by default).

On another note I have a quick question about the lone wanderer perk. I used the workstation at Sanctuary and built a bed etc. Does just using the work station count as having control of a settlement as the wanderer perk I then took added nothing to my carry weight? If so and you want the perk how do you upgrade weapons if you can never use a workbench, is it literally you can only use for upgrades what you can carry? I am using a large backpack, perhaps the lone wanderer extra weight doesn't stack?

Anyway thanks for the help......

• 3 weeks later...

I Just had to figure this one out myself with help from the mod author.

Extract the contents of the FROST Start Saves file into your save games folder (C:\Users\username\Documents\My Games\Fallout4\Saves by default).

1. At the frost mod page under 'Main Files' the 2nd one down that says "FROST Saves File" manually download that, It Should be in *your pc's name\Downloads unless you changed the default download destination.

2. Go to your downloads folder, you will see this "FROST Saves File-18898-v0-1.rar" Right click & choose 7zip then "extract files here" then you will have two files titled "FROST Start - Female.fos" and "FROST Start - Male.fos"

3. I'm also an old gamer and find it easiest to ---copy the sex you prefer and paste it into your Fallout 4 saves folder.

Edited by ninjamaster0420

On another note I have a quick question about the lone wanderer perk. I used the workstation at Sanctuary and built a bed etc. Does just using the work station count as having control of a settlement as the wanderer perk I then took added nothing to my carry weight? If so and you want the perk how do you upgrade weapons if you can never use a workbench, is it literally you can only use for upgrades what you can carry? I am using a large backpack, perhaps the lone wanderer extra weight doesn't stack?

The Lone Wander perk in FROST only works is you DON’T activate a settlement workshop by using the workshop building mode, which it sounds like you did if you built a bed. That would negate the perk. Sounds like that's why it's not giving you the buff you were expecting.

There is a distinction between workBENCHES and the workSHOP. Crafting workbenches (armor, weapons, chem, power armor, cooking station) AFAIK can be used if you don’t control a settlement (same in the vanilla game I think). The Workshop is what allows you to enter the building mode to make beds, structures, defenses, etc. Doing that will cancel out the Lone Wanderer perk.

Entering the workshop building mode or activating the workshop by walking up to it an activating it,gives you ownership of the settlement. I’m pretty sure you can use the crating workbenches without having actually getting ownership of the settlement, You’ll get a message along the lines of “You aren't allied to this settlement,” or “You need to clear enemies first,” but you can still craft weapons, armor or chems, cook, mod power armor.

So yeah, if you want the Lone Wanderer perk you can’t activate a workshop and need to pretty much carry around what you want to use. One work around is to use player home mods as bases rather than settlements.

If just so happens

<shameless plug>

that I’ve made a player home with FROST in mind. It offers a great little oasis from the world.

</shameless plug>

I have another player home for Starlight Drive-In that works well for FROST, but you need to control the settlement in order to gain access to it, which means foregoing Lone Wanderer.

I also use The Den as a base in my FROST game. It has all the workbenches for crafting, but they aren’t linked to share resources (all of mine are).

Check out the FROST subbredit if you want help, tips and tricks. Lots of good info there and the mod author is pretty active. The mod comments page is OK, but the subreddit is really my go to for FROST stuff.

EDIT: It just hit me that the workbenches in The Den mod ARE linked...it was another mod I was thinking of. The Den actually has a workshop you can use to build stuff and it *shouldn't* effect Lone Wander because it's not a settlement. But I find the workshop in the mod useless because the place already has everything you need anyway.

• 2 years later...
Can someone help me i canât get the save files to work they have the property app of internet explorer and iâve moved them into the fallout 4 save files and yet still nothing i just get the shake room over and over and alternate life mods arenât working what do i do