Eat Scripts?

The main advantage offered by the method I outlined is it gives the chance for the game world to reset itself without any interference from the player ... don't know for certain where "center" is, but I understand it is totally outside of the game world.

If the mod is a personal use mod then things like not having Ernest around shouldn't be an issue. For a mod you intend to release you need to test with all of the vanilla game elements in place doing what the game would normally have them doing (chances are that is what your users will have ... along with a bunch of random mods to mess with things for you).

I've never looked at that bench at Horse Whisperer Stables myself ... outside of a bit of tweaking on Maeve I haven't messed much with Anvil.

Yeah didn't work, but thanks for suggestion. Perhaps I need to start a new game however that does not seem practical since most ppl will make same decisions as I did in game. That was kind of trippy at the "coc center area" stuck on a log... well I don't want to learn too many console commands because it gives me the opportunity to cheat you know what I mean

So what could the problem be I have made a new chair and everything is done properly.... I'm about to give up and just have them not eat..........

An interesting thing to note is after I waited about 4 days the (at anvil stables at the time) the game crashed

what I did is I waited 72 hrs at "coc center" and then teleported back using console, and then observed at 1pm he did not eat, then wait 24 hrs, and around the 16 hrs waited mark all sounds stopped and I knew it would crash and it did

Edited by masternoxx

One thing I have learned about this game from modding is that, most scripts and packages will work great in an interior cell, but when you start messing with stuff in "Tamriel" (overworld) it's really a crapshoot as to whether the scripts will even fire

No experience with scripts here. I do notice that sometimes it will take a while before an AI package change completes. For my own projects I generally don't mind as my own main focus is on getting things to be sort of "naturally unpredictable" (a lot of conditions applied to work in that direction).

Though it can be tedious, I generally avoid using the wait menu when testing to let things process from one package to the next naturally. I also try not to interact with my NPCs while testing their AI packages, until I'm happy with how things progress. I use a number of testing saves for each situation with each giving some time for things in game to progress a bit before the part I'm focusing on.

On a previous character I had two NPCs who did a circuit in opposite directions from Bravil to Leyawiin around the lower Niben. Most of the time they'd do just fine and then every now and then I'd find one somewhere totally unexpected. Usually I'd just open the conversation window and close it and off they'd go again.

Maybe it will work eventually. The fact it crashed is maybe a sign that it was trying to change/update the ai. But on the other hand I modified the NPC in cheydinhal stables right before this and it worked right away. Possibly it has something to do with how recently I have visited that cell.

An AI package is a script basically, there's just a tool to make them as opposed to typing them out, anyways I guess I meant to say package instead of script

but also I can and have made scripts it's not hard at all if you know C++

Edited by masternoxx

I realize that AI packages are just scripts ... most everything in the game outside of the engine level stuff is scripts.

I have tried my hand at C++ programming, way back when I had "The Dream" of writing my own programs. Spent a lot of money on a Visual C++ subscription and more than a dozen (likely closer to two dozen) books on the subject ... everything from beginner level up. I can do all the simple "Hello world" level stuff (same as I could in Basic before that). What I found was that in every case the book would advance to stuff that I just could not get my head around. Sure I could replicate the examples in the IDE and step through the code watching the variables change (i.e. I could make the examples work). What I couldn't do is understand how the code achieved what it was doing.

I've studied scripts done by the likes of CDCooley, Maskar and Kuertee, as well as followed along on the numerous "Help me with this script" posts on these forums. Invariably I run into the same situation ... where I can't understand how the script is getting from point A to point B.

In my experience, if you can't understand how something works you have no chance of changing it in a way to do what you'd like to do.

If you want to check out my mod it is "cyrodiil tranportation network 2.0" there is a quest in there "EVPRstilt" attached to the script "EVPRStiltHorseMover" which is the script that does all the teleportation, it's pretty easy to understand. The script is called from the conversation on the last line of every travel npc dialogue, which is where the variables are set.

If you have interest in scripting I would suggest not to bother with learning everything, only learn the commands necessary for what you want to specifically do. Yeah I took programming in college but it was no fun and tedious. You will learn the operands and syntax if not just google them, also don't open up a complex script and expect to understand it all got to take baby steps.

So what is happening at all the stables now is the stable guard, who is part of oblivion / bethesda creation and I have not modified at all, if you look at their packages, they rake till 12 (of course they are really there to watch the horses from you stealing them), and then they are supposed to eat at noon, but they never do, they just stop raking and stand there, then at 6pm for dinner they do go to their chair and eat but they walk to the wrong spot kind of and then just magically appear on their chair... Yesterday I watched the guy in bravil at 6pm, and it was funny, because I had put this basket of lettuce nearby. I had made the basket of lettuce and a chair for my horse travel NPC, the joke was that the lettuce was for the horses but my NPC would eat it anyway, but then when I saw the other "vanilla oblivion" NPC eat the lettuce for dinner it made me chuckle a bit. Unfortunately he (his name is Antione) got rekt by a land dreugh and will-o-wisp that was followed me into town an hour later. I sort of wanted to see if him dying would cause my NPC's eat script to work.

I am not sure if putting -1 food on my NPC could be causing it NOT to work but they still won't eat. The other travel npc's that are in the mage guild basements or in ship cabin they eat perfectly, I have used XMarkers for those, and not chair, but I don't know if that matters... Since the vanilla NPC's use chair markers. At this point probably have to start a new char and go thru the whole intro just to see if my NPC's eat packages even work with a fresh game