Weapon speed & dps

Aroddo

I went to the trouble and clocked the attack speeds of all weapon types. Weapon material doesn't seem to make any difference (tested daedric, iron, skyforge steel, orcish).

Here's the result with attack speed meaning time per swing in seconds

|attack |base   |base   
                   |speed  |damage |dps    
--------------------+-------+-------+-------
The Longhammer      | 1,0   | 21    | 21,00 
Volendrung          | 1,2   | 25    | 20,83 
                   |       |       |       
Daedric Dagger      | 0,75* | 11    | 14,67 
Daedric Sword       | 0,9   | 14    | 15,56 
Daedric Waraxe      | 1,0   | 15    | 15,00 
Daedric Mace        | 1,1   | 16    | 14,55 
Daedric Greatsword  | 1,1   | 23    | 20,91 
Daedric Battleaxe   | 1,2   | 26    | 21,67 
Daedric Warhammer   | 1,3   | 31    | 23,85 
Daedric Bow         | 2,5** | 19    |  7,60 
                   |       |       |       
Orcish Greatsword   | 1,1   | 18    | 16,36 
Orcish Battleaxe    | 1,2   | 25    | 20,83 
Orcish Warhammer    | 1,3   | 26    | 20,00 
                   |       |       |       
Skyforge Greatsword | 1,1   | 17    | 15,45 
Skyforge Battleaxe  | 1,2   | 21    | 17,50 

* Dagger speed usually clocked in between 7,3 and 8,0 seconds per 10 swings, so I decided on 7,5

** Bow speed for fully drawn string.

Artifacts seem to have completely different speeds altogether which will heavily influence dps. The Longhammer for example is an orcish warhammer with lower weight and higher speed than greatswords while still packing the punch of a warhammer. It doesn't have any other abilities and it can be enchanted.

The Longhammer swings about 30% faster then a Daedric Warhammer while initially doing 25% less damage per hit, which results in a slightly higher dps for The Longhammer. Later, when all those smithing perks bring the damage to higher - but closer - levels, the per-hit damage advantage of the daedric warhammer shrinks even further (to about 13% in my case) while the dps of the Longhammer will quickly overtake that of the daedric warhammer.

And given the fact that The Longhammer can be aquired very early (no prerequisites, but it's pretty well guarded by Falmer and bandits and it's in Foresworn infested country) it should be your best 2H weapon for most of the game.

However, there are several considerations that make the daedric 2H weapons not completely obsolete:

1. The Longhammer is unique. Slap a bad enchantment on it and it will stay for the rest of the game.

2. The Daedric Warhammer has higher burst damage, which is important if you rely one one-hit kills.

3. The Daedric Warhammer looks much much better.

4. Right now it seems like the Daedric Warhammer causes more stagger, which might be a side effect of the Longhammers low weight. Not sure, though.

Just for variety's sake you could consider carrying both weapons. For the Longhammer I prefer an enchantment that doesn't loose it's value. My personal favorite is the Fiery Soul Trap enchantment, which deals 10 points of fire damage and captures souls. For the daedric warhammer i would consider either extra damage or leech effects.

Those weapons are so great that Volendrung is now just another piece of deco in my house.

Edited by Aroddo

I'm pretty sure the weapon animation speed directly correlates to the weapon's weight, but I can't find a formula for it anywhere. Unless someone knows the formula/knows where to find specific speed values, have you tried testing weapons of different weight to find a pattern? Edited by Extacide

Kewl info. What was your method? A stopwatch? I like that because it's like real world results and not just stats.

Is that bow not adding damage from arrows???

What is the range for each weapon and do they have distance and angle stats? I like to stand in front of a tree and test this but can't give actual numbers. In practice, I do miss my targets more often when using say daggers than swords. Bows obviously have the greatest range in distance and lowest in angle, for example.

I'm pretty sure the weapon animation speed directly correlates to the weapon's weight, but I can't find a formula for it anywhere. Unless someone knows the formula/knows where to find specific speed values, have you tried testing weapons of different weight to find a pattern?

hmm.... that bears thinking about. have to test that.

Silver greatsword weigh nearly the half of a daedric greatsword. if your theory is correct then the speed difference should be very obvious.

right now i rather suspect that weight only influences stagger.

Kewl info. What was your method? A stopwatch? I like that because it's like real world results and not just stats.

What is the range for each weapon and do they have distance and angle stats? I like to stand in front of a tree and test this but can't give actual numbers. In practice, I do miss my targets more often when using say daggers than swords. Bows obviously have the greatest range in distance and lowest in angle, for example.

I clocked ten uninterrupted consecutive swings for each weapon and divided by ten. Repeated the process if the swings didn't go smoothly.

I have no idea about bow mechanics or reach, but I can confirm that daggers have a shorter reach. :)

Edited by Aroddo

I'm pretty sure the weapon animation speed directly correlates to the weapon's weight, but I can't find a formula for it anywhere. Unless someone knows the formula/knows where to find specific speed values, have you tried testing weapons of different weight to find a pattern?

hmm.... that bears thinking about. have to test that.

Silver greatsword weigh nearly the half of a daedric greatsword. if your theory is correct then the speed difference should be very obvious.

right now i rather suspect that weight only influences stagger.

I clocked ten uninterrupted consecutive swings for each weapon and divided by ten. Repeated the process if the swings didn't go smoothly.

I have no idea about bow mechanics or reach, but I can confirm that daggers have a shorter reach. :)

Weight of the offhand weapon while dual wielding also directly impacts the speed of the dual attack animation. Theres a formula for it somewhere, I'm sure.

Also, anyone interested in this thread who hasn't already read about weapon and armor stats and fixes might want to read this:

http://skyrim.nexusmods.com/downloads/file.php?id=4719

Does anyone know if these bugs will be fixed in the latest patch?

From the modder's long description, one thing I learned, for instance, was that a 1H sword has speed and range (1,1) while a dagger would be (1.3,0.7).

I have tested the Silver Greatsword.

It swings exactly as fast as any other greatsword and it only weighs half of a daedric greatsword.