Working on Mod to Fix Mass Effect: Andromeda's Writing

MasterCb73

<snip>

It was always terrible. ME1 had an OK actress, but they went with a different one for ME2 and 3. Same actress in MEA. Wooden and monotoned.

No. The same person (Ali Hillis) voiced Liara in all three previous ME games, as well as in ME:A. Personally, I found her to be the perfect counterpoint to Shepard. She is also the voice of Lightning in the Final Fantasy-series, among other projects. See her credits on IMDB here.

And the same goes for (almost) ALL characters who appeared in more than one ME game; Anderson, Tali, Wrex, Undina, Dr. Chakwas, Grunt, Admiral Hackett, Miranda, Jacob, Ashley/Kaidan, Thane, Jack, Aethyta, Garrus, Capt/Maj Bailey, etc. Even Kolyat. And Dr. Chole Michel. And the guy on the Citadel trying to get a refund for his defective omnigel converter. (Not to mention Martin Sheen and Jennifer Hale/Mark Meer.)

BioWare went above-and-beyond to maintain continuity.

So if you don't know what you're talking about... Don't.

EDIT: The only one I know was changed was Mordin. And I presume that was because Michael Beattie was not available for ME3.

Edited by TLymond

EDIT: The only one I know was changed was Mordin. And I presume that was because Michael Beattie was not available for ME3.

I knew they changed his VA, but in all honesty, to this day I don't know who he is. Did a good job though. I didn't really notice the difference and didn't bother to do comparisons.

• 2 weeks later...

I asked a developer at a convention and he said it was because Michael Beattie was asking for too much money and said Bioware needed him for the role.

No. The same person (Ali Hillis) voiced Liara in all three previous ME games, as well as in ME:A. Personally, I found her to be the perfect counterpoint to Shepard. She is also the voice of Lightning in the Final Fantasy-series, among other projects. See her credits on IMDB here.

And the same goes for (almost) ALL characters who appeared in more than one ME game; Anderson, Tali, Wrex, Undina, Dr. Chakwas, Grunt, Admiral Hackett, Miranda, Jacob, Ashley/Kaidan, Thane, Jack, Aethyta, Garrus, Capt/Maj Bailey, etc. Even Kolyat. And Dr. Chole Michel. And the guy on the Citadel trying to get a refund for his defective omnigel converter. (Not to mention Martin Sheen and Jennifer Hale/Mark Meer.)

BioWare went above-and-beyond to maintain continuity.

So if you don't know what you're talking about... Don't.

You claim I don't know what I'm talking about yet you make a false assumption about Mordin's VA. We all make mistakes. You may think you're some expert, but don't let it go to your head.

Edited by GuyInDogSuit

It was always terrible. ME1 had an OK actress, but they went with a different one for ME2 and 3. Same actress in MEA. Wooden and monotoned.

Eh, Ali Hillis did her voice on all four games. No idea where you got the info where she only voiced Liara on ME2/3/A...

Edit: Nevermind, many people already corrected that info.

Eh, Ali Hillis did her voice on all four games. No idea where you got the info where she only voiced Liara on ME2/3/A...

Edit: Nevermind, many people already corrected that info.

Because she sounded less wooden and monotone in ME1, to me anyway. Thought that it was because they were different actors in the sequels. I had no idea she voiced Lightning in FFXIII, though now that I think about it, they sound similar, though Lightning wasn't a great character to begin with. I'm not gonna go into the flaws of FFXIII though.

Regardless, is there any progress on this?

You claim I don't know what I'm talking about yet you make a false assumption about Mordin's VA. We all make mistakes. You may think you're some expert, but don't let it go to your head.

I made it clear I was speculating, not stating something as fact, (as you did about who voiced Liara in ME2/3/A.)

And in fact, I wasn't "mistaken" at all. I was correct, just not complete.

It might have been a more complete explanation to have said, "Michael Beattie was not available... at the price BioWare was willing to offer." :laugh:

Definitely need to edit that dialog during the post-Eos crew discussion.

Since this is a cutscene, I'd cut it at before all the "didn't get killed stuff". Don't know if something like that is even possible, though. As it is, the skip button has become my dearest friend in situations like this.