New to modding. Have 2 questions.

zanythos

I am modding for PS4 and need to make a mod that will allow me to move the workbench in Sanctuary. That's the only one I care to move I've only been modding for about a week and don't fully understand everything yet. I need to be able to do this where it stays in 1 *.esp file. I'm also needing help with how to make subtitles skip. Currently following multiple tutorials the vendor always breaks if you try to spam through it and the conversation resets.... If anyone would be so kind as to at least tell me what I should be looking up specifically or point me at a tutorial that would be great. I searched I don't think this question has been posted before. Sorry if it has been. Thank you.

I've contacted move that workbench the author hasn't been active in almost 20 days, I contacted Bro777 for his version he's been gone for almost a year and the marker one uses script and texture files that will not port to PS4. I appreciate you sending me to ask for permissions but I already have and after 2 weeks I figure I should just build my own. My friend who mods for other games says I can use content if the author is MIA but I am NOT comfortable with doing that to someone when I'm making a port. If I can't get permissions I don't port it period, especially after reading an article about nexus having issues with ppl doing that on bethesda.net. Other people work hard on their mods. I'd be pissed if someone ripped off my stuff I'm not going to do that to other people MIA or not. There is no reason I can't learn how to make it myself and post my own version.

Again if someone could just point me to what files I'm looking for that would be great. I only use the CK and am not really sure how to go about reverse engineering their processes. Currently the only thing I know how to do is build new actors and make them vendors using ingame materials. I figure this would be good practice and maybe teach me how to do other things besides just unlocking the workbench...maybe this affects other things and same trick can be used on other stuff? I also still need info on how to make my dialog with no audio have the subtitles skippable. Right now if u skip through them they reset the dialog and u have to wait again. It works fine so long as you don't try to skip their dialog.... idk where else would be good to ask figured the ppl here know way more than me and would at least point me in the right direction. I don't want it done for me I want to do this stuff myself again I just need a pointer or 2 in the right direction. Thank you again.

P.S. I play on PC, the mods I'm making are purely to help out one of my sisters, my cousin and best friend who are on PS4 and can't afford to rebuy everything to switch platforms. I'm just trying to either make or port them (ports with permission) and help make the PS4 version a lot better because right now they are seriously lacking over there. They had no version of Rich Merchants so I made a version (dif name) where I just hard coded 10k caps to each vendor I could find without altering any of the stuff on the vendor because I found out that can be bad during my first attempt. I did give Overclocked56 inspiration credits as I took the idea but did my own work. but my version the LL are still there so they have the 10K + w/e they would normally have available when you go to them.

My friend who mods for other games says I can use content if the author is MIA but I am NOT comfortable with doing that to someone when I'm making a port.

Your friend was very wrong. It's Nexus and Bethesda policy that you can't simply use another mod author's work without their permission because it's actually against the law. Mod authors hold copyright on their mod work. It's says so very clearly in the EULA for the Creation Kit. So using re-publishing someone's mod without their permission is legally the same as publishing Lady Gaga's latest single yourself. It's called piracy.

Now, on to your actual questions. As for moving the workbench, by far the best approach is to just use the CK to move it to the position you want. If you want it next to a different house in Sanctuary, just move it using the CK and save that as an esp.

As for skipping dialogue, on PC you can just click somewhere on the screen outside the dialogue box, the player character mumbles something like "uh huh" and the NPC skips to the next line. I would try experimenting to see if PS4 has a similar feature you just weren't aware of. That's much safer and easier than re-writing the dialogue for every quest and NPC in the game to be something shorter.

Thanks for clearing that up damanding. Yeah I didn't like that either it sounded shady. Like I said I have the pc copy the ck and enough know how that if I can figure out WHAT to edit. I can usually figure it out from there so no reason I shouldn't make my own.

The dialog problem only affects 3 custom vendors I've made that have no audio.
Ah well. Ty anyways. I guess I'll just make a backup of the working version i have and make a tinker with version and see what does what... I'm still trying to find globals and such. Yes I know I stink at this and that's why I'd rather just make the stuff myself once I learn where things I need are. I am just gonna watch a crap load of tutorials and maybe they'll hit on what I need to know somewhere.

EDIT: Let me rephrase that I'm not sure how they function and how editing them affects things, only reason I've mentioned this as it's not really my initial question is I've wondered if what I was looking for was possibly buried in there? I'm not sure if it's lack of skill with the CK or if it's right in front of my face and I'm not seeing it...both are equally possible. :(

Edited by zanythos

Unfortunately I know pretty much nothing about NPC dialogue, that's not my area of knowledge in the CK, so sorry I'm not more help there. :( But there should be some tutorials out there. I was going to suggest Seddon, went to look him up and what do you know, a Seddon tutorial on vendors. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dd7ZaLjsHvM

Yeah Seddon has been my go to guy for making Rich Vendors+. I tried to accomplish what Rich Merchants does but by I believe different means as I don't use scripts or alter the leveled lists (Is it leveled list or loot lists? I've heard it called both). In my version the vendors still level their caps as usual they just have a 10k cap001 line added if they already had a caps001 line I added a separate one so I didn't modify their original stuff in anyway. I figure if there is a problem that 1 line can be ripped back out and it's back to original vanilla. I only did this because I saw PS4 had nothing similar for FO4, Skyrim yes FO4 no. The PS4 players really have crap for mods imo and with having friends and family who play on that system I'd like to help them out where I can. Sony really shot themselves in the foot with this restrictions bs. I also have no intentions of porting my mod off PS4 as there is no point and I personally use Rich Merchants and believe it to be the better mod when available.

Edited by zanythos

I'll butt in here for a split second, because I may be wrong, *but* I think I remember dialogues only being skippable if there is audio (it's a game thing, iirc). There doesn't actually have to be sound, just a blank silent audio will do.

Now if it's PS4, then you can't use non-preexisting assets. Maybe you could find some nothingness audio in the existing files to give to your 3 vendors...?

Some "Hmm.", "Hmm?", "Uh huh" type of stuff maybe?

Might even be an actual nothing pause "..<silence>.." in there somewhere.

Point is, that would make it skippable and maybe keep it from breaking/resetting unintentionally.

Again, very big IIRC. =)