Changing NPC's equipment Mid-Game

UlfricStormcloak29

Hi, all!!

Practically a newborn modder here, but I know there's a way to change an NPC's equipment after a certain stage passes in the game. I've explored the Improved Atmosphere and I can see for instance that Howe's guards change uniform after his promotion, and that they have UTC files with a '2' attached. I'm assuming there's a script or something to tell the game when to switch UTC files...I'm wondering how that is done?

Many thanks in advance for any help you can give!

EDIT: I should add that I've gotten the Toolset to work on Windows 10 (set it to open with administrator privileges and to run on Windows 8 compatibility) and I searched for Cullen in the single player module. I found the state/NPC of him I want to edit.

Under Creatures, I searched for Cullen and found a "cir230cr_cullen (Cullen)" under the Broken Circle folder, which is exactly where he would be when I want to edit his armor. I know how to do that...I think. I took it, exported a copy, and to test if it works, I stripped all armor and just dumped it in override.

Loaded my game from the Fade, played through the floor, then got to him and he was the same.

I am also using a Mod that changed his face...but all it does is edit a 'mor' file, which changes his face. I don't want to touch that.

Also, I removed a modded character utc file that changed Cullen's Templar armor. So nothing with his name is in my overrides folder.

So I guess what I'm wondering is:

1. If Toolset can find a UTC when asked, does that mean the UTC is being actively used in the game?

2. For my purposes of modding Cullen while he's in Uthred's cage, have I selected the correct UTC?

3. Finally, how can I change Cullen's armor and equipment while he's in the cage?

Thanks again, anyone who had to read through all that!

Edited by UlfricStormcloak29

You may need to test with a save from prior to entering the Broken Circle map and beginning the quest. Even though he's on a different level of the tower, it is possible, nay, probable, that Cullen's gear is baked in as soon as the Apprentice Quarters are accessed.

1. If Toolset can find a UTC when asked, does that mean the UTC is being actively used in the game?

Not necessarily; the toolset has UTC files for characters that do not appear in the game at all (i.e., cut content).

2. For my purposes of modding Cullen while he's in Uthred's cage, have I selected the correct UTC?

Sounds right to me, though I cannae check b/c I don't have the game or toolset installed any longer.

3. Finally, how can I change Cullen's armor and equipment while he's in the cage?

Changing the armor in the UTC and placing the edited UTC into override should do it. Note that will also affect his gear outside of the cage as well, unless there is an alternate UTC for his appearance when he moves to the Apprentice Quarters. (Again, I can't check if that is the case or no.)

To change his gear for just the cage scene would surely require a script.

Edited by theskymoves

Thank you!! You're the best.

I played through the entirety of the Broken Circle quest (you can imagine my anticipation of frustration if I finally got there and he hadn't changed!)

But I can confirm that that broken circle UTC is indeed used and does indeed only apply to Cullen during that particular quest. Again, thanks for the assist!!