GetNVSEVersion Not Found

IanKolb23

I am new to the entire PC gaming world, even more new to the modding aspect of it. I have installed quite a few mods for Fallout New Vegas, and followed their Readme Files step by step, and the first thing I did, was install NVSE. I moved the files into the Fallout New Vegas folder, Not the data folder, and started the game via the NVSE launcher. After letting it load to the main screen, I opened the prompt with ~, and typed GetNVSEVersion and got this:

GetNVSEVersion

SCRIPTS Script SysWindowsCompileAndRun

line 1 Scriptcommand GotNVSEVersion not found

I have tried looking these past few days, I have even uninstalled and reinstalled New Vegas after deleting everything for it, everything from the steamapps folder, and everything from the My Documents folder, except for my save.

Nothing is working, please help

If you enabled "logging" in the "nvse_config.ini" file, see if there is an "nvse.log" file in the game root folder (i.e. "common\Fallout New Vegas"). If so, paste it into your reply. (Use the "Special BBCode" button in the Forum "Reply" menu bar as the third icon from the left in the top row, next to and left of the "Font" pick-list field to put the log in "Spoiler" tags.)

Did you install Steam under the default location of the "C:\Program Files" tree? This causes many "strange" problems not otherwise explainable. As painful as it may sound, read the wiki article Installing Games on Windows Vista+ and move at least FNV. That article has a link to the official Steam Procedure (a good indication that they now recognize the need to correct this). This should be the first solution you try. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time and effort trying other solutions, and still have to move the game files in the end anyway.

If there is no log, and FNV is not installed into the default location, we have to assume you misunderstood something about the install instructions. So, we will need to see the path to the "nvse_loader.exe" from "steamapps\common" on down, and the list of filenames beginning with "nvse" in that folder, as well as the "Data\NVSE" folder and it's contents. Screenshots of the "Windows Explorer screen" will suffice, in which case you will need to post them on another site and provide the URL link to them in your post.

-Dubious-

If you enabled "logging" in the "nvse_config.ini" file, see if there is an "nvse.log" file in the game root folder (i.e. "common\Fallout New Vegas"). If so, paste it into your reply. (Use the "Special BBCode" button in the Forum "Reply" menu bar as the third icon from the left in the top row, next to and left of the "Font" pick-list field to put the log in "Spoiler" tags.)

Did you install Steam under the default location of the "C:\Program Files" tree? This causes many "strange" problems not otherwise explainable. As painful as it may sound, read the wiki article Installing Games on Windows Vista+ and move at least FNV. That article has a link to the official Steam Procedure (a good indication that they now recognize the need to correct this). This should be the first solution you try. Otherwise you will spend a lot of time and effort trying other solutions, and still have to move the game files in the end anyway.

If there is no log, and FNV is not installed into the default location, we have to assume you misunderstood something about the install instructions. So, we will need to see the path to the "nvse_loader.exe" from "steamapps\common" on down, and the list of filenames beginning with "nvse" in that folder, as well as the "Data\NVSE" folder and it's contents. Screenshots of the "Windows Explorer screen" will suffice, in which case you will need to post them on another site and provide the URL link to them in your post.

-Dubious-

There is no log, here is a screen capture of my Fallout New Vegas Directory.

http://imgur.com/a/2V6PU

Okay then, you have the expected "nvse" files in the game root folder.

How about the "Data\NVSE" folder? As pointed out in "Checklist" Item #4 linked in my first reply: you may have to create that folder and it's sub-folder "Data\NVSE\Plugins" manually, along with the "nvse_config.ini" file. Read that Item #4 carefully. It's lengthy because it has a fair amount of information to convey.

-Dubious-

It appears you installed Steam and the game to your "Users" folder (that is: "C:\Users\Ian\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV". That is the same location the game places the user specific versions of "Falloutprefs.ini" and "Fallout.ini". That is not a typical location, and frankly I suspect the game is having issues being placed there, possibly because it may be overwriting files it thinks are safely out of the way. It is also probable that Windows is taking some "anti-malware" precautions as well as it does not expect "programs" to be run from that folder tree. (Just because you might have been successful running other games from there doesn't mean you can continue to do so.)

I strongly recommend you first:

1. Uninstall Steam completely (so as to remove it from the registry), Your other game "save files" ought to be safe on Steams servers, but you may want to back them up just in case. You should also backup any "user custom" files similar to FNV INI files for those other games as well.

2. Create a separate folder for your games as described in the wiki article Installing Games on Windows Vista+ (which has some additional necessary steps) and,

3. Re-install Steam using the "custom install" options, and at least FNV there.

4. Once installed you should find the path to the game root folder is similar to "C:\Games\<"Steam" or "SteamLibrary">\steamapps\common\Fallout New Vegas". Your "Users" folder should be similar to "C:\Users\<YourAccountName>\Documents\My Games\FalloutNV" folder, but with only the "Saves" folder (and maybe one "Backups" folder) and some few "Fallout" INI, and "RendererInfo.txt" files and such.

That way you know you are conforming to what both Steam and Windows expect, and not unintentionally fighting with the system.

I realize this sounds painful and perhaps even "overkill" for an apparent problem with just NVSE, but fighting the Windows system design is both futile and a waste of everyone's time. This has been proven time and again over the years. It's never going to be any easier to accomplish than now.

For NVSE you only need to be looking for NVSE files under the game root folder path. When installing mods, you can ignore the "Users" folder as it is generally only for "user specific" files used by the game engine and not mods or plugins.

Your last screenshot was of the "Users" folder and did not expand the folder tree enough for me to see the "Data\NVSE\Plugins" folders or their contents. So when you have re-installed, please take another using the "Windows Explorer" (WE) application and not the "Library" (after configuring WE for showing file extensions) the contents of "Data\NVSE" in the right-hand pane. You need to use WE so it will display the "folder tree" in the left-hand pane and the "current folder" contents (in "List" view please) in the right-hand pane.

Bear with me. We will get this fixed.

-Dubious-