how to edit an existing NPC morph?

Okay, I know this should be one of those "omg read the FAQ, duh" obvious questions, but I searched the "common questions" thread and did a LOT of googling, and it's eluding me.

I've found lots of tutorials on how to make a new morph, and some about how to override an existing one, but not how to EDIT one. Not just changing tint colors or something, but actually making changes to the character's face.

Also, is it possible to change an NPC's race? I want to make Wynne an elf, and creating a morph from scratch is doable but it's taking forever, lol. I also want to make a couple minor changes to other NPCs (nose size and such), but I can't figure it out. Every time I try to open a character's UTC or whatever, it's read-only.

you change the facial features using the selections under the object inspector in the morph editor. it will let you edit more than just the textures. you can change the base model's features by making edits in there. if you want to edit an existing morph, you have to the core resources, which you can get here:

http://www.nexusmods.com/dragonage/mods/4537/?

to change wynne to an elf you would have to edit her creature file, change her appearance, and give her a new head morph. it will require you edit core resources and personally, i would advise against doing something like that if you aren't very familiar with the toolset....i don't touch core resources myself, but there a many, many modders who do. if you're going to do it, however, i would suggest for such a minor change as that which can be done quickly, that you open a local copy instead of checking out the resource, make your changes, and export it. any changes you make will be lost when you close the toolset, but it will prevent you from accidentally breaking your game.

So I figured out how to edit her creature file- but that doesn't help me change her head morph.

I thought I had the core resources! I can see them, and I can find Wynne in "single player", but when I try to create a new module (which i understand is the safest way to use the toolset?) suddenly everything except "Monsters" disappears from the right sidebar. I can't access any head morphs while working in a module and it's really annoying. I don't know what I'm doing wrong.

Edited by ladyvoldything

Ninja'd. Again. :laugh:

After creating the new module (which is indeed the safe, smart thing to do), did you then make the Single Player assets available to it?

If not (and I'm working from memory since I don;t have the toolset installed any longer, so this may not be 100 accurate), but IIRC, it's something like File>Manage Modules>(select the applicable module)>Hierarchy and then tick the box for 'Single Player'. (Core Resources will already be selected.)

Then reopen the module and the missing assets should be available.

Edited by theskymoves

Omg, I can't believe I forgot the hierarchy thing. And after I went through that exact tutorial two days ago!

EDIT: Okay, I made the single-player resources available to the module, I found Wynne's creature file, but I can't figure out how to actually open up her head morph and play with it. I see the option to add a new head morph, but what if I just wanted to make her nose bigger or something? How do I actually OPEN UP her head morph and edit it?

Edited by ladyvoldything

Download the Core & Single Player Hear Morphs from here; Wynne's morph is genfl_wynne.mrh.

Open that file in the toolset (the tutorials on this site are a good primer on morph creation/editing).

Note if you do change Wynne's race to Elf, then her human head morph won't work properly, as it will float about the body at human height... you'll need to create a new morph with the elf base mesh.

Edited by theskymoves

I figured it out, hooray! My next step is figuring out all the things in between "save the file" and "posting your first mod on Nexus" but hell, there are plenty of tutorials for that, I'm sure I'll figure it out.

Thanks for your help!

REEEEEEEEEEEE: I exported the completed morph and opened a local copy of Wynne's creature file, changed the race to "elf." But when I tried to give her a new head morph, the morph I just made isn't available! Did I save it to the wrong place? Whaaaaaat.

Edited by ladyvoldything