how to edit an existing NPC morph?

Re your exported morph not being available in the toolset, if you haven't already, try closing the toolset and reopening it, so it will re-scan the directories. (Other than that, I got nothin... :ermm: )

Edited by theskymoves

Also, once I edit an NPC creature file, I can't figure out where it's exporting to. Oops.

My exported UTC files always landed in *thinks* \Documents\BioWare\Dragon Age\modules\Single Player\override\toolsetexport

(That path may be slightly off, as I don't have any Dragon Age on my PC any longer, but it was definitely under the 'Single Player' folder in Documents.)

Thanks for the tip! I figured out that I don't really need to change the morph in the toolset, I can just rename my morph to the same thing as the vanilla morph and plunk it in the override.

Except.

Sanga. KLJSddfggkjl goddamn f***in' Sanga. I made her a beautiful morph, renamed it, put it in the override, and loaded up DA. Nothing. So I made sure to delete any conflicting morphs. Okay, still nothing. I looked at her creature file under the module I used- there's her morph, nice and pretty. I did the same thing in Single Player and- would you look at that. In Single Player, her morph is still... idk what it is, it's not vanilla. No matter what I do, it stubbornly refuses to change.

So I managed to make the morph show up on her creature file... but it still won't show up in game. REEEEEEE

EDIT AGAIN: I made it work by... moving things around, I guess? I reshuffled what mods were in toolsetexport and what wasn't. Now things work. I'm calling it magic.

Edited by ladyvoldything

I am afraid it is not as simple as that. There are more parameters and implications.

Wynne´s character is assigned to a human facial bone system. If you would be successful in changing her outer appearance EF Wynne would suddenly have no more facial animations including lip syncs.

[...]

to change wynne to an elf you would have to edit her creature file, change her appearance, and give her a new head morph. it will require you edit core resources and personally, i would advise against doing something like that if you aren't very familiar with the toolset....i don't touch core resources myself, but there a many, many modders who do. if you're going to do it, however, i would suggest for such a minor change as that which can be done quickly, that you open a local copy instead of checking out the resource, make your changes, and export it. any changes you make will be lost when you close the toolset, but it will prevent you from accidentally breaking your game.

I agree with Lady Honor´s advice. Don´t consider to edit core ressources before you are so familiar with the toolset that you know excatly what you are doing if you decide to do so.

Edit: Just made a quick test. Lip sync can still work. But risks are clipping effects. And it could look like Wynne would just loose her dental prosthesis....;)

Edited by YaraC

• 2 weeks later...

I did figure out how to monkey around with core resources in a separate module! I've been making morphs obsessively lately, lol. Although the animations thing is interesting. I wonder, would changing her race in the creature file fix that at all?

And would this same problem occur with making Morrigan an elf?

Also, about UTC files exporting to the "Single Player" folder... does this occur even if I'm NOT working in Single Player?

Yep. Your stuff (meaning your custom stuff) will export to your module. Single player stuff or core resources export to the single player module.

Yep. That´s why I mentioned the character resource. As you are now working in your own module it is the way to go. You are aware that you have to change 3 more UTC files beside gen00fl_wynne for Wynne? (epi200cr_wynne, pre100cr_wynne and urn230cr_wynne)

Edit: The same approach for Morrigan. (only one additional UTC: the doppelganger)

Edited by YaraC