Bug When Loading Into An Interior Or Exterior Space

Coastalaxe

Description of Bug/Glitch/Issue:

After a certain point during a playthrough, whenever I enter or exit a closed area (such as a building or cave), my character will load into the area (inside or outside) 2-3 meters away from the load-in point (door).

So if I enter into a tavern, instead of loading in at the entrance, I'll spawn 2-3 meters in-front of the door/entry way. I'm early in my playthrough, so I'm only hanging around Whiterun. But in all the buildings in Whiterun (inlcuding those I break into while sneaking) and in various dungeons and caves surrounding Whiterun (the nearby fort, vampire cave, etc.) this phenomenon occurs. This also happens when I leave an interior space. So when I exit the tavern in Whiterun, I'll spawn half-way or nearly all the way down the stairs, into the middle of the market place. Or half-way across the bridge in Dragon's Reach, etc.

When it's only 1 meter or so it's bearable, but anything more becomes quite immersion breaking for me. You can imagine sneaking into someone's home and then loading into the middle of their house (to clarify, I haven't spawned past walls or physical objects). It's jarring to enter into any space and load-in deeper than you're expecting. And while it hasn't screwed me over yet, i can imagine a situation where I enter in a space and I'm too close to an enemy or trap or event trigger, etc.

This bug doesn't happen all the time. It usually only starts happening either after a certain time during a session, or at some point during the entire playthrough for a character. The bug will happen for a while and sometimes go away for a bit, and then come back again.

How We Got Here:

I first noticed this happening after I installed the Unofficial Skyrim Special Edition Patch and Violens, manually. Before that installation I had only installed the categorized favourites menu mod following the instruction found here: http://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/5350/?

After installing the Patch and Violens, I eventually began to notice the bug above. Eventually I couldn't stand it and I uninstalled the patch and reloaded a "pre-unofficial patch" save. Then redid my playthro with just the favourites menu and the violens mod. I didn't seem to be suffering from the bug at all, and so I assumed it was related to the unofficial patch being installed after I started my character.

Now, I've just recently installed SkyUI 2.2 because the vanilla menu is annoying, and in a short time I get a CTD and then after a lengthier session without a crash I get the bug mentioned above, along with a few other strange things (npc's glitching through their chairs while sitting, and my character stopping their flame spell before the enemy is dead, even tho I have plenty of mana)

Mod List:

- GAV Categorized Favorites Menu

- Violens

- SkyUI 2.2 (with edits to remove the warning graphics that pop-up when you don't have SKSE)

Ask if any clarification or additional info is needed. I'm curious if anyone else has experienced this before, and of course an insight towards a solution.

• 10 months later...

I would love to find out a solution for this immersion breaking bug. I've been looking for a while for a fix and found that I couldn't find anyone who posted this issue somewhere. Finally saw this post, was just about thinking about posting this bug myself, If I find anything out i'll post here for you and anyone else that needs it, hopefully there's a fix :psyduck:

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I have similar problems... departing apothecary in Markarth and ending up next to the smelter or down in the water near that area isn't earthshattering... trying to exit the roof exit of a tower and finding oneself back at the base of the tower is very much earthshattering. I have had this in and out of the game at various points. It seems to happen infrequently, until it happens, and then it happens over and over again. I usually end up having to tcl my way to the actual exit of something and in the next session it seems to disappear. Moments ago, I'm leaving Mistwatch's north tower to head to the western one, and up at the base of the north... tcl back to the top... enter the western tower and fight through that. Exit, and I'm outside the keep entirely (hearing a drop from a distance, like landing on the ground during a moderate jump, while the screen is still black...) I have plenty of mods loaded, used loot to sort a long time ago, so don't think that's the issue. sometimes I wonder if it's related to the bugs one gets where you depart a location and it hangs on the black screen, though I think that's actually related to followers in some fashion. I've managed to ctrl-alt-del out of those freezes, reload, and then do some 'animation' think like working on an armor bench or forge, and been able to transition ok. I read on a different set of posts that this can be caused by scripts for followers trying to sandbox while you are trying to transition cells, but not sure if that line of inquiry is accurate or not, since it's my animation that seems to clear things. Regardless, exiting from a cell to appear in the wrong location of the next cell is immersion breaking when it's minor, and maddening when it's not! Wish someone could post some possible things to look at for a fix.

Follow up: As part of my stream of consciousness thoughts about this, I decided to check out the possible follower connection. I dismissed my follower(s) in the Mistwatch west tower, exited and ended up on the top of the tower, as I was supposed to. Surprisingly with the followers outside that same trapdoor, but that's probably just the game moving them to the nearest cell exit into skyrim at large for the travel back home. I use NFF as a follower framework/manager. Perhaps that's got some sort of bug in it, causing transitions to go squirrly on occasion? Anyone else experiencing this problem, try dismissing followers and see if it clear it up in that instance. If so, perhaps that narrows the field for bug hunters...