NMM Says .ini File Is Missing

zanadaniel

Hey everyone first of all i'm new to pc gaming and modding so this might be a rather dumb question for some of you im sure. However for some reason i simply cant set up Skyrim Special Edition with Nexus Mod Manager. It keeps telling me that the .ini file is missing and that i should play the game which i have but still no fix. I've already uninstalled and re-installed everything many times following step by step what others have demonstrated and i cant fix this issue its driving me nuts.

I will attach an image of the error.

If anyone can shed some light on what i should do i would be so grateful!

goto C:\Users\'username'\Documents\My Games\

then delete Skyrim Special Edition folder.

start up skyrim, close it then check if it recreated the folder with the ini file inside.

if not I can upload and pm you the default.

goto C:\Users\'username'\Documents\My Games\

then delete Skyrim Special Edition folder.

start up skyrim, close it then check if it recreated the folder with the ini file inside.

if not I can upload and pm you the default.

still didnt fix it :(

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...

Did you try to play the game before attempting to mod it? I think you need to actually get into the game to have the ini file and be able to mod it.

Try lanching a game in Skyrim SE, and exit the game to desktop as soon as you can (on the cart to Helgen, spoiler alert :wink: ). Then try modding with NMM or Vortex or whatever :smile:

Edited by Sasha1378

The above post is basically correct. Your mod manager needs to be able to find the ini files before you can use it properly.

The ini files are created when you first launch the game through steam.

So before you install your mod manager you should launch Skyrim to the main menu. No need to start a new game. Just get to the menu and exit. The ini files should have been created.

To check go to my documents - my games - SkyrimSE