Fallout 4 Optimization and Performance Systems Explained

Anyway ... I was wondering if mods that let you work in build mode out of the original workshop boundaries, (not using a scraping mod) just using vanilla and scrapping stuff like trees and logs that you can normally scrap in the settlement ... break precombines?

I don't know of any that break precombineds, but as a result they don't enable scrapping of things that are part of a precombined mesh. You can use the bUseCombinedObjects=0 ini edit to globally break precombineds so you can scrap anything, but that is risky since

- you will now be able to scrap the walls of interior cells

- it doesn't break previs (occlusion culling), so scrapping large objects like buildings, privet hedges, trailers, etc... will result in occlusion bugs. bUsePreCulledObjects=0 will disable previs and fix that issue, but it will even further worsen the performance impact, and for some interior cells it will introduce occlusion bugs (even when nothing is scrapped) as some interiors have really bad room bounds and portals (old occlusion system used in previous games, re-enabled when previs is disabled).

If you want to enable scrapping everywhere that is safe, I recommend Geth7n's mod. For compatibility, it would probably be best to place his plugin mod at the top of your load order, and use the xEdit script to apply the edits to any CELLs overridden by other mods (that way, any mods relying on edits to the CELL record would still work).

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 589
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Anyway ... I was wondering if mods that let you work in build mode out of the original workshop boundaries, (not using a scraping mod) just using vanilla and scrapping stuff like trees and logs that you can normally scrap in the settlement ... break precombines?

I don't know of any that break precombineds, but as a result they don't enable scrapping of things that are part of a precombined mesh. You can use the bUseCombinedObjects=0 ini edit to globally break precombineds so you can scrap anything, but that is risky since

- you will now be able to scrap the walls of interior cells

- it doesn't break previs (occlusion culling), so scrapping large objects like buildings, privet hedges, trailers, etc... will result in occlusion bugs. bUsePreCulledObjects=0 will disable previs and fix that issue, but it will even further worsen the performance impact, and for some interior cells it will introduce occlusion bugs (even when nothing is scrapped) as some interiors have really bad room bounds and portals (old occlusion system used in previous games, re-enabled when previs is disabled).

If you want to enable scrapping everywhere that is safe, I recommend Geth7n's mod. For compatibility, it would probably be best to place his plugin mod at the top of your load order, and use the xEdit script to apply the edits to any CELLs overridden by other mods (that way, any mods relying on edits to the CELL record would still work).

Sorry it took so long to get back. Building new computer system.

Anyway Thanks ... I don't think the actual mod breaks Precombines. But if a player works outside the settlement and scraps stuff was what I was concerned about. My thinking is it does not break Precombines since you can scrap items normally ... that is not using a scraping mod or editing the .ini file (keeping it bUseCombinedObjects=1). Just wanted to make sure ...

For anyone curious about the process of building precombines and previs for large mod lists, here is a sneak peek of some of the scripts I use.

Hey Searge!

Clearly you're doing what I've been longing to do forever, fix up the recombines in my modded Fallout. I've begun following your instructions as provided, however I seem to be missing a few of the plugins you reference. Where do you get/create AutoPreCalc.esp, CombinedObjects.esp, PreVis.esp - are these files necessary to complete your process?

Thanks!

-Mike

Hey Searge!

Clearly you're doing what I've been longing to do forever, fix up the recombines in my modded Fallout. I've begun following your instructions as provided, however I seem to be missing a few of the plugins you reference. Where do you get/create AutoPreCalc.esp, CombinedObjects.esp, PreVis.esp - are these files necessary to complete your process?

Thanks!

-Mike

AutoPreCalc.esp is an empty esp that I created, it has the ESM flag set and references all all previous esm/esp files in correct load order. An early step in my process is to run one of the scripts that copies the CELL records from the mod you are processing into this one and it's also the esp file that the batch files pass as parameter to CK to process. So it's basically the working file of the whole process.

The other two (CombinedObjects.esp, PreVis.esp) are the esp files that CK creates after either the precombine step or the previs step. They contain (incomplete) records of the CELLs that were processed and I included xedit scripts that handle the process of copying the important bits back from these esp files into the working file AutoPreCalc.esp

Hope that helps and answers the questions you had about the process.

• 1 month later...

tl:dr: Apologies for Necroing this thread. I'll try to keep it short and/or use Spoiler tags to hide the tedious bits.

What I wanted to do: Use command line tool to generate precombined Meshes and visibility for multiple mods that edit the same exterior cells (see mod list at bottom)

What I Got: 1. Use command line tool to generate precombined Meshes and visibility for an individual mod +DLC+UFo4P (See method 1 Spoiler)

2. A Modified RRTV/Trosski method to get what I wanted (See Method 2 spoiler)

CK Preparation and SPECS:

I have applied the Serge Hex fix and/or am using CK Fixes 1.6.3 (I have tried CMD line with both fixes applied then each on their own with similar results).

Windows 10

Intel i9-9900KF

64GB DDR4 3600OC

GTX 1080 8GB

Results Summary:

Using BenReirimanu's / Serge's method of command line precombines I have not been successful at generating a "Merged" style of Previs that works in game and successfully merges all the edited statics from several mods that edit the same exterior cell. However, using the commmand line I have successfully made single mod precombines. The only method thus far that I have had luck with is using an altered RRTV/Trosski method to add all the mods (see modlist spoiler below) to one precombine. I assume it's my methodology or that the Command line has some inherent limitations that the CK GUI does not when it comes to adding multiple mod edits to an exterior cell to previsibines esp.

METHOD 1 BenReirimanu/Serge CMD Line

1a. The method I used was to first sort my load order so that I had the most compatibility between the mods (ensuring all masters are flagged with ESM in xEdit)

1b. I used the "01_CopyCELLsIntoAutoPreCalc.pas" in sequence from top of load order to bottom of load order on every mod that edits conflicting cells (this ensures the last loaded mod overwrites the changes from the first)

1c. I then run "Apply Material Swap.pas" to add the Mat swap fix

1d. Load the plugin in CK and save to generate time stamps.

1e. Run the command line -GeneratePrecombined:<espname.esp> clean all

1f. Run subsequent -CompresPSG and _BuildCDX

1g. package meshes folder into <espname.esp> - Main.ba2

1h. Run xEdit script "MergeCombinedObjects.pas"

1i. Run -GeneratePreVisData:<espname.esp> clean all

1j. Run xEdit script "MergePreVis.pas"

1k. Package vis folder into - Main.ba2

1l. Clean Plugin in xedit and 'Remove identical to master refs' then Save plugin in CK

Results: Merged Patch style Previs generation has culling issues 'blinking world objects' in every exterior cell where two or more different mods edit those cell (interior cells seem unaffected probably because no conflicts).

METHOD 2 RRTV /Trosski (adjusted)

2a. Load all the mods I want to combine in xedit and flag them with ESM (in this instance I did all DLC + UFO4P + 6 other exterior space mods including BT Interiors)

2b. Load all the mods into CK with no active file and save a new plugin.

2c. 'Generate Precombined Geometry for Current cell' on every exterior cell in the game that got edited by the mods and the 3x3 cells surrounding the RVIS cell for those cells (For instance if BTInteriors edits cell -4,4 and so does zxcMicroAdditions i generate for -4,4, -3,4, -2,4, -4,3, -3,3, -2,3, -4,2, -3,2 and -2,2 to ensure that surrounding the cells are incorporating changes from vanilla or PRP/BostonFPS ect.)

(Picture below shows the RVIS cells in Blue with White letters and the edited cells are 3x3 around those)

PREVIS.jpg

2d. Save file and check for XPRI/XCRI errors in xEdit if there are i recheck that ESM flags are still present then regen again.

2e. Load esp in CK GUI then on each of the RVIS cells I "Generate visibility for current cell" save then "Generate Precombined Visibility for Current Cell" save again. (This only builds the Precombined Visibility for the 3x3 cells surrounding the RVIS cell and works independent of the UGRIDs setting which means I don't have any uncontrolled Visibility edits in the plugin.

2f. create archive in CK or with Archive2.exe (depends on my mood) save plugin and load into game.

RESULTS: This method is tedious and takes an entire day if you are doing a lot of cells, however in game it loads all the mods edits and rebuilds the previs/precombines in one file.

Mods I used to build precombines (some are merges of other mods) and my load order for those mods - All have been cleaned in xEdit and some have repaired navmeshes (they was deleted)

BTInteriors_Project.esp

zxcMicroAdditions.esp
Mechanist Lair Overhaul.esp
ImmersiveCommonwealthLocationsAIO.esp (all of the Immersive mods from MoreLikeVicky merged)
PrydwenOverhaul2.esp
Concord Revised.esp
SalemEXPANDED.esp
BetterMikaMerged - NoAirport.esp (Most of the Better series by Mika999 with repaired navmeshes)
ConcordEXPANDED.esp (Repaired Navmeshes)
VaultTecConcord.esp
BetterDrumlinDiner.esp
FortHagenSatelliteArrayEXPANDED.esp
CombinedWorldSpacesPrevisibinesPatch_Manual.esp (My Patch done with CK GUI)

Edited by vegawagon350

• 2 months later...

Best necro I have ever done. :)

Good news everyone! But before those I want to give all participants of this thread big thanks and a warm hug! I also want to give SeargeDP extremely moist, manly kiss to cheek. Without your tools I could not accomplish what I have done.

And good news are, that here is a guide to use specific set of tools to create your own PreVisibines for all official masters (including DLC), to a mod or multiple mods at once.

https://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/59024

• 1 month later...

Can anyone confirm if these are the offsets and hex values to change for the steam version of the CK patched with steamless (default values in the v3.1.0.0 release)?

0x34746D: B9 01 00 00 00 => B9 00 00 00 00

0xDCAC76: B9 01 00 00 00 => B9 00 00 00 00

(same hex values as what SeargeDP has posted in earlier posts, but the offsets are shifted down).

tl:dr: Apologies for Necroing this thread. I'll try to keep it short and/or use Spoiler tags to hide the tedious bits.

What I wanted to do: Use command line tool to generate precombined Meshes and visibility for multiple mods that edit the same exterior cells (see mod list at bottom)

What I Got: 1. Use command line tool to generate precombined Meshes and visibility for an individual mod +DLC+UFo4P (See method 1 Spoiler)

I have applied the Serge Hex fix and/or am using CK Fixes 1.6.3 (I have tried CMD line with both fixes applied then each on their own with similar results).

Windows 10

Intel i9-9900KF

64GB DDR4 3600OC

GTX 1080 8GB

Results Summary:

Using BenReirimanu's / Serge's method of command line precombines I have not been successful at generating a "Merged" style of Previs that works in game and successfully merges all the edited statics from several mods that edit the same exterior cell. However, using the commmand line I have successfully made single mod precombines. The only method thus far that I have had luck with is using an altered RRTV/Trosski method to add all the mods (see modlist spoiler below) to one precombine. I assume it's my methodology or that the Command line has some inherent limitations that the CK GUI does not when it comes to adding multiple mod edits to an exterior cell to previsibines esp.

1a. The method I used was to first sort my load order so that I had the most compatibility between the mods (ensuring all masters are flagged with ESM in xEdit)

1b. I used the "01_CopyCELLsIntoAutoPreCalc.pas" in sequence from top of load order to bottom of load order on every mod that edits conflicting cells (this ensures the last loaded mod overwrites the changes from the first)

1l. Clean Plugin in xedit and 'Remove identical to master refs' then Save plugin in CK

Results: Merged Patch style Previs generation has culling issues 'blinking world objects' in every exterior cell where two or more different mods edit those cell (interior cells seem unaffected probably because no conflicts).

2a. Load all the mods I want to combine in xedit and flag them with ESM (in this instance I did all DLC + UFO4P + 6 other exterior space mods including BT Interiors)

2c. 'Generate Precombined Geometry for Current cell' on every exterior cell in the game that got edited by the mods and the 3x3 cells surrounding the RVIS cell for those cells (For instance if BTInteriors edits cell -4,4 and so does zxcMicroAdditions i generate for -4,4, -3,4, -2,4, -4,3, -3,3, -2,3, -4,2, -3,2 and -2,2 to ensure that surrounding the cells are incorporating changes from vanilla or PRP/BostonFPS ect.)

(Picture below shows the RVIS cells in Blue with White letters and the edited cells are 3x3 around those)

PREVIS.jpg

2d. Save file and check for XPRI/XCRI errors in xEdit if there are i recheck that ESM flags are still present then regen again.

2e. Load esp in CK GUI then on each of the RVIS cells I "Generate visibility for current cell" save then "Generate Precombined Visibility for Current Cell" save again. (This only builds the Precombined Visibility for the 3x3 cells surrounding the RVIS cell and works independent of the UGRIDs setting which means I don't have any uncontrolled Visibility edits in the plugin.

2f. create archive in CK or with Archive2.exe (depends on my mood) save plugin and load into game.

RESULTS: This method is tedious and takes an entire day if you are doing a lot of cells, however in game it loads all the mods edits and rebuilds the previs/precombines in one file.

Mods I used to build precombines (some are merges of other mods) and my load order for those mods - All have been cleaned in xEdit and some have repaired navmeshes (they was deleted)

BTInteriors_Project.esp

zxcMicroAdditions.esp
ImmersiveCommonwealthLocationsAIO.esp (all of the Immersive mods from MoreLikeVicky merged)
PrydwenOverhaul2.esp
Concord Revised.esp
SalemEXPANDED.esp
BetterMikaMerged - NoAirport.esp (Most of the Better series by Mika999 with repaired navmeshes)
VaultTecConcord.esp
BetterDrumlinDiner.esp

Did you ever get clean builds working?

• 3 weeks later...

Can anyone confirm if these are the offsets and hex values to change for the steam version of the CK patched with steamless (default values in the v3.1.0.0 release)?

0x34746D: B9 01 00 00 00 => B9 00 00 00 00

0xDCAC76: B9 01 00 00 00 => B9 00 00 00 00

(same hex values as what SeargeDP has posted in earlier posts, but the offsets are shifted down).

It's in the fixes.

However, the fixes will not allow you to load such a number of data.

Edited by perchik71

• 3 weeks later...

Windows 10

Intel i9-9900KF

64GB DDR4 3600OC

GTX 1080 8GB

Results Summary:

PREVIS.jpg

BTInteriors_Project.esp

zxcMicroAdditions.esp
PrydwenOverhaul2.esp
Concord Revised.esp
SalemEXPANDED.esp
VaultTecConcord.esp
BetterDrumlinDiner.esp

All I can say: it takes a few tries. I am using the cmd line, same as BenRierimanu, with success, for all changes various mods apply to interiors and exteriors. This includes a big overhaul, and 2 other big add-on mods. But it failed miserably the first 10 attempts, before I got it right and avoided all tiny mistakes that prove to be disastrous.