What do you think about follower mods?

VulcanTR

Follower mods   

48 members have voted

1. 1. Follower mods are

• Nice and good. I like to see and find millions of the follower mods! We need more follower mods!
    • I do not interest and i do not care.
    • I hate it! Everyone making useless follower mods and everywhere follower mods!

I like having one to three followers with me. Playing a mage, it helps to have muscle to keep those ruffians off my back.

My problem is with not having an non nude option for many of them. I just wish I could use some of the followers that are out there but do not because they are nude when loading, getting into a pool or changing outfits. Why not give us a choice? I use the UNP body because it is realistic in the armor and stuff and because you can select non nude during installation or with an optional load. But a lot of followers have "stand alone" bodies that ignore the UNP settings.

My two cents....

I really don't use them much. When I first played classic Skyrim years ago I had a few installed but soon found out I rarely used them and liked to travel solo. As for all the follower mods with SSE it doesn't bother me. Whatever modders and users want to make more power to them.

Personally, I think followers get a lot of bad press in the modding community and are often frowned upon and regarded as easy to make and therefore requiring little skill.

Of course, I completely disagree, and perhaps that is why I keep making them. To me, there is just as much effort in crafting a story through dialogue as there is in building a worldspace out of vanilla assets.

Regarding Slooty Followers, well, whatever floats your boat. That's the beauty of the modding community. There is something for everyone.. it all comes down to personal taste at the end if the day.

I don't think this topic is about "smart" followers, like your Ben or vilja and e.t.c. It would be great if modders like yourself will continue making awesome companion mods.

---

I hope in future we will have options on nexus to set filter flags and hide unwanted mod categories . I mean sometimes really great new mods remain underrated because of that mainstream crap, like slooty followers, armor and lore-breaking anime stuff. sorry if it sounds a bit rude.

Edited by Mandragorasprouts

Companion and quest mods are the meat and potatoes of Bethesda game playing. They keep the game interesting and fresh. There are less than 12 really good companion mods. Those include uniquely voiced characters with some degree of game awareness. At the top of the technical heap are Vilja and Inigo. Between the two of them, there are about as many lines of dialogue as you will find in the major Skyrim cities combined. Sofia has a special draw for young teenage boys with a constant barrage of sexual innuendoes, plus it is a well-made mod and Christine Slagman has a wonderful singing voice. Rigmor of Bruma is a companion with an epic set of quests. Roderick Redbeard is pretty funny. Interesting NPCs is the colossus of Skyrim, both for the Classic and SE versions. Despite the name and over 250 characters, it is primarily a quest mod and the top one for Skyrim. Arrisa, M'rissi, Aurlyn Dawnstone, Recorder, Anduniel, Benjamin Doone and Hoth all add advanced characters. Hope I did not leave any important companions out, but I always forget something.

Then there are hundreds of generic and sub-generic followers from children to women with big boobs and pig ears.

To be honest, it depends on the character I play - as a warrior or mage, having followers is useful, if you play as roughe/assasi, they just get in the way.

As far as the unique/vanilla debate goes - the fact is that after a while even the uniqe NPCs get old, repeating the same things again and again, and what used to be amusing at start becomes annoyance with time.

Finally, I enjoy the massive variety as I can pick one that suits my character best, while I am rather annoyed about how often do generic followers make the spotlight, leaving far more unique/interesting mods in the dark... not too much of an issue un SSE yet, but in oldrim it.... well lets say I dont evn bother looking there anymore. :)

tl;dr - hotifiles with "generic" followers are a bit underwhelming

Having RDO makes new vanilla-based followers more interesting, conversational wise. I have Inigo, several other followers, my own, and he is more like a trusty friend than a mere companion and I cannot imagine anyone filling his paws.

I like them. Well, the deep, multi-faceted ones with actual character/ story, anyway. Makes Skyrim come alive and all. Besides, they provide a fun opportunity for me to write about lore and other stuff that interests me.

Edited by mlee3141

Holy crap! I completely forgot about Hoth!

Does anyone else here think he's in the same league as Inigo, Benjamin and Sofia? I certainly do.

Yes, I know he has not been ported to SE (although I hope Hothtrooper44 finds the time to do so.) However, posts on Hoth's thread indicate that you CAN get him to work in SE if you run him through the SSE NIF Optimizer to make the corrections to avoid texture issues.

• 5 months later...