Using PS CS4 with Fallout 4 textures

wileecoyote1969

I have Photoshop CS4. Not really swimming in cash nowadays to buy something new. Most of my editing is for personal use, I did release a couple of minor tex mods for FO3 and FONV

Tried to edit some textures used in FO4 using the same DDS plug-ins (Nvidia). Got mixed results. Most textures are fine, but some just render as solid black. There are no error warnings, just renders black. (A perfect example that comes to mind is Fuse00's Valkyr female textures.)

Also interested in how the normal maps are being rendered now. I know that the compression 3DC is used for FO4 but i was getting some really weird results. I am primarily concerned about being able to edit these.

I have found these 2 items so far in my quest for answers but not sure they ARE the answer to my problems

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/436/?

http://www.nexusmods.com/fallout4/mods/1045/?

Main questions I am looking for answers:

• Is CS4 compatible to edit textures for FO4 or am I wasting my time
  • If CS4 is compatible can anyone direct me to a proper tutorial(s), especially on creating / editing normal maps and specular maps?

This very thing drove me nuts for a while. The second mod listed for the 'Intel Textrure Works' plug in (Photoshop) will work for you, and yes you should be fine with CS4. I use CS6. While the process of creating your diffuse textures (.dds) is basically the same, you need to save it ( and all mapping textures) selecting the Intel Texture dds option rather then the standard (reffering to the Nvidia PH plug in) dds. Also keep in mind that where mapping is concerned, the 'blue' channel is not used as such your normals map (name_d.dds) should appear a shade of yellow/green color and the shine (name_s.dds) will appear as a red / green combination or variations there of....red being flat or dull and green being shine. the more red = dull or flat, more green = shine/gloss. The alpha channel is used differently as well.

There are some good videos on Utube...the process is a bit different and for me took a bit of time to get the hang of it. I'm going on memory here as it has been a while since I have done anything with FO4 so someone may correct me on this info. hope this helps.

That is definitely a start for me. Thank you.

This very thing drove me nuts for a while. The second mod listed for the 'Intel Textrure Works' plug in (Photoshop) will work for you, and yes you should be fine with CS4. I use CS6. While the process of creating your diffuse textures (.dds) is basically the same, you need to save it ( and all mapping textures) selecting the Intel Texture dds option rather then the standard (reffering to the Nvidia PH plug in) dds. Also keep in mind that where mapping is concerned, the 'blue' channel is not used as such your normals map (name_d.dds) should appear a shade of yellow/green color and the shine (name_s.dds) will appear as a red / green combination or variations there of....red being flat or dull and green being shine. the more red = dull or flat, more green = shine/gloss. The alpha channel is used differently as well.

There are some good videos on Utube...the process is a bit different and for me took a bit of time to get the hang of it. I'm going on memory here as it has been a while since I have done anything with FO4 so someone may correct me on this info. hope this helps.

Will CS3 be okay, or am I SOL?

I used the Nvidia plug in with CS3 long ago...not sure if the Intel plug in will work or not. Just try it and see, my guess would be it should work. If not, simply remove the Intel plug in. My best guess would be if you are using CS3 on (example) win 7 and it works fine, then it should work. This is the reason why I haven't gone to Win 10 because CS6 doesn't work correctly on Win 10 and after spending a fortune on CS6...I'm going to use it. :teehee:

Let us know :thumbsup:

That is definitely a start for me. Thank you.

thanks! Will definitely check it out

• 5 months later...

Does this really work with CS4? The download page says CS6 is required. I installed it anyway but I get an error when I try to open a DDS file with the intel plugin.

I couldn't get the intel tool to work with CS4, no matter what I tried, and even though a number of people insisted it would. In the end I just upgraded to CS6 and it works fine.