• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

eduardo4

eduardo4

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
How do I use the FNV4GB executable with this mod manager? Although it was successfully installed in the data directory - seems to be the default location - I am not sure how it is activated.

Looked through this forum area, but was unable to find the info (sorry if already covered).

Thank you!

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts
There is nothing to 'use' with an LAA patch. once installed it works. However, you MUST start the game with the patch every time in order for it to be installed. There is no reason it even needs to be in the NMM listings. An LAA patch is NOT a mod. it is a utility that makes a small change in the exe program that allows the program to see any extra RAM memory you have that is not being used by something else. In order to make that change, it must be running when the exe file is loaded or it cannot make the change.

This is a limitation in Windows, It was originally designed to allocate no more than 2G of ram to any one program. And each program was to run in it's own ram. By allowing the program to go over, you risk crashesfrom the game trying to use RAM allocated to something else. Changes in Windows over the years have improved the handling of RAM making those type crashes much less likely.

If you don't have more than 2G of memory, The LAA 4G patch cannot do anything, and is not recommended. If you have more than 2G of RAM, and you use a 32 bit version of Windows, it can help some. But a 32 bit system cannot use more than about 3.25G of RAM - this is a limitation of the 32 bit addressing system and not a problem with either Windows or the game. Then, Windows needs some ram to run, so all will still not be used by the game. If you have a 64 bit version of Windows, then the game can possibly be allowed to use up to 4G of available ram. Windowes still needs to use some of that ram. If you have more than 4G ram, windows and any other running processes can use that ram over the 4G allocated to the game without any risk.

eduardo4

eduardo4

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts

There is nothing to 'use' with an LAA patch. once installed it works. However, you MUST start the game with the patch every time in order for it to be installed. There is no reason it even needs to be in the NMM listings. An LAA patch is NOT a mod. it is a utility that makes a small change in the exe program that allows the program to see any extra RAM memory you have that is not being used by something else. In order to make that change, it must be running when the exe file is loaded or it cannot make the change.

This is a limitation in Windows, It was originally designed to allocate no more than 2G of ram to any one program. And each program was to run in it's own ram. By allowing the program to go over, you risk crashesfrom the game trying to use RAM allocated to something else. Changes in Windows over the years have improved the handling of RAM making those type crashes much less likely.

If you don't have more than 2G of memory, The LAA 4G patch cannot do anything, and is not recommended. If you have more than 2G of RAM, and you use a 32 bit version of Windows, it can help some. But a 32 bit system cannot use more than about 3.25G of RAM - this is a limitation of the 32 bit addressing system and not a problem with either Windows or the game. Then, Windows needs some ram to run, so all will still not be used by the game. If you have a 64 bit version of Windows, then the game can possibly be allowed to use up to 4G of available ram. Windowes still needs to use some of that ram. If you have more than 4G ram, windows and any other running processes can use that ram over the 4G allocated to the game without any risk.

Bben - Thank you for the quick and information rich reply, although my question remains unanswered. Perhaps writing this in the wee hours caused me to be somewhat unclear . . . :mellow:

I am aware of all of the above, and as a Win 7 64bit, 8GB RAM user with a pretty streamlined OS, was following the suggestions of the publisher of a popular textures mod to use the FNV4GB loader with his large and impressive package! :ohdear:

I used the NMM to download it - especially as that is the first option given on the majority of the mod pages. But, as they both serve as loaders for the the game, not simply a patch (is there such a version?) I get the feeling I can only use one or the other:

the NMM to run FNV with all my mods - or -
the FNV4GB loader to kindly ask my game to use more resources on my PC!

My question is, how - specifically - can I get to use the NMM to launch the game with the mods and also get the 4GB memory benefits? Is there a way to point the NMM to that executable, or is there an option I have not yet discovered that can do the same thing? Am I missing some fairly basic concept like "the NMM is not needed to launch, as it has already activated the mods - so use whatever loader you want"?

Thanks again for helping out this long time listener, first time caller. :)

Eduardo

Fonger

Fonger

Phantom Parot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,030 posts
1 - according to the directions for the "mod" in question - you install it to your game directory not your data directory - therefore you DO NOT install it with NMM or FOMM -- you install it manually

2 - run the game directly from the FNV4gb.exe file that you just installed - it does start up steam for you if it is not already running.

3 - never tired to start FNV from NMM or FOMM because I never saw any purpose in doing so - but it works easily from this file directly

FYI the basic script extender for vegas works directly from the steam launcher for this game (even if you have asked steam to put said launcher on your desktop)

BTW 64bit Win7 running here.

Edited by Fonger, 08 February 2012 - 08:25 PM.

blove

blove

Faithful poster

• Premium Member
  • 2,145 posts
You are asking about using 4GB Fallout New Vegas by MonochromeWench, yes? It is possible to download, install, and run FNV4GB using NMM. FNV4GB does not care where it is installed as long as both files are together. But, if you use NVSE and FNV4GB is installed and run from anywhere other than ".\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\" it will not load NVSE. That said it is best to install FNV4GB manually in your ".\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\" folder and run it from a shortcut rather than through NMM. If you still want to use a Custom Launch Command through NMM:

1. Install FNV4GB (manually is best to retain NVSE support)
2. In NMM open Settings (looks like a pair of gears)
3. Open the Fallout: New Vegas tab
4. Locate Custom Launch Command
5. Input the explicit path to your FNV4GB.exe in the Command: field
(example: "d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\fnv4gb.exe" without the quotes)
6. Choose OK
7. Open the drop window for the Launch button in NMM
8. Choose Launch Custom Fallout: New Vegas

Edited by blove, 08 February 2012 - 08:35 PM.

eduardo4

eduardo4

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
@ Fonger - you may have indirectly answered my question about whether I need to use NMM or FOMM to activate the mods beyond the initial installation/configuration. Clearly there are a number of concepts that are understood by many here. . .

@ Blove - Thank you! This answers my question precisely! :dance:
Although it is clear to me now that once mods are installed/configured through NMM it is not necessary to launch through it, knowing how to do so is a matter of great convenience - especially if troubleshooting issues through multiple game restarts.

I have been an avid, but silent, user of this site for years, and really see how the community has grown into a major resource for serious gamers getting the biggest bang for the buck. The quick and helpful responses the first time I needed it have pushed me to give a little back by going premium.

Cheers,

Eduardo

bben46

bben46

I had a title once, but I forgot what it was.

• Premium Member
  • 24,973 posts
Posted Image Posted Image Posted Image

Doronir

Doronir

• Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

You are asking about using 4GB Fallout New Vegas by MonochromeWench, yes? It is possible to download, install, and run FNV4GB using NMM. FNV4GB does not care where it is installed as long as both files are together. But, if you use NVSE and FNV4GB is installed and run from anywhere other than ".\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\" it will not load NVSE. That said it is best to install FNV4GB manually in your ".\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\" folder and run it from a shortcut rather than through NMM. If you still want to use a Custom Launch Command through NMM:

(example: "d:\program files (x86)\steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\fnv4gb.exe" without the quotes)
6. Choose OK

Thanks for these super useful instructions :thumbsup:

Edited by Doronir, 22 May 2012 - 08:34 PM.

raventrigun

raventrigun

Regular

• Supporter
  • PipPip
  • 84 posts

I am going to necro, slightly to say that the above cutome launch command has helped me greatly. I also feel I should add that you might want to make a kill bat for the process after you are done, fnv4gb.exe likes to remain open in the process

taskkill /f /im fnv4gb.exe

into a text file and change the extention from .txt to .bat

run it after your done playing to purge extra fnv4gb.exe processes from your computer. The only reason I noticed it was because I tried making a backup of my FNV folder and it wouldn't let me because something was in use.

dring219

dring219

• Members
  • Pip
  • 11 posts

6. Choose OK

I also appreciate the help with this . My problem now is that i refuse to have Steam on my computer , so i dont have \steam\steamapps\common\fallout new vegas\" folder . any suggestions on what i should do in this instance ?

Thanks in advance .

Page loaded in: 0.774 seconds