[LE] Segregating fish to specific water type

Some background on my project:

I made several different salmon models to use in replacing the vanilla salmon models.

Some models are meant to be an ocean type fish and should only appear in salt water.

Other models are meant to be river fish, and should only appear in fresh water.

As of now, all models and animations are working correctly in game and just need to be placed in

their specific water types.

This brings me to my problem, how do I tell ALL of the fish in Tamriel what water they can swim in?

Creation Kit has several file types for salmon, one of them contains a "water type" specification.

I tried changing it, but I do not believe there was any effect. I say this because I was having trouble testing it as Skyrim kept crashing every time I tried to fast travel to any location. (and yes I tried walking but that didn't work either.)

Overall I don't think changing the water type is a viable option. Also, there is no clear option for ocean water, (because there is no such thing).

I guess I could go around Tamriel placing each individual fish, but that would take a REALLY long time, and on top of that I would have to alter all of the fish in all of the dungeons, caves, and other areas that aren't part of the general outside landscape.

If anyone has any suggestions that don't involve me spending my life going through every location in Skryim to place fish, it would be appreciated.

I guess I could make a script to do it for me, but my knowledge of scripting is incredibly limited.

Edited by mycatlikestuna

I don't know if this is related to my above question, but at some point I want to control the spawn rates of certain fish models.

I'm not trying to alter the season spawn rates, but just the rarity of certain fish in general.

I bet that this will be solved by scripting, unless someone knows of another way.

As of now I am very heavily considering replacing each fish by hand, as I haven't found any answers to my question.

http://srmap.uesp.net/

^ this website shows the entire world of Tamriel including cell coordinates. (which probably would be helpful in the case of scripting)

You can also isolate resources like ores, alchemy ingredients, and salmon.

Using this map will definitely help make placing the fish easier, but I will still need to go through all of the cave and dungeon systems to check for misplaced fish. And I haven't found any helpful maps for that yet.

While I'm looking for a solution I will continue to brush up on scripting. (I know a little bit about C++, just the basics though)

And I will try to draft a program in the mean time.

My thought -- and it's clunky, so maybe there's a better way -- is that you might be able to use a quest search system to dynamically find the fish activators and, having done so, swap them out for ones you've created with your new models, conditionally on whether their parent cell is in a prebuilt list of locations.