Total game size for Fallout 4/Skyrim? Recommended SSD size for Fallout 4 & Skyrim?

fftfan

Total game size including mods for FO4 & Skyrim? Which size SSD to use for both?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What size SSD recommended for modded Fallout 4 & Skyrim SE plus maybe a few others

• 120GB
    • 250GB
    • 250GB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 500GB
    • 500GB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 1TB
    • 1TB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 2TB or more
  2. 2. What size is your Fallout 4 folder?

• 30GB or less. (Few if any mods)
    • 30-50GB
    • 50-100GB
    • 100-150GB
    • 150-250GB
    • 250-500GB
    • 500GB+
  3. 3. What size is your Skyrim/Skyrim SE folder?

• I'm running Vanilla on either SE or 2011 version
    • Original Version: 30GB or less
    • Original Version: 30-50GB
    • Original Version: 50-100GB
    • Original Version: 100-150GB
    • Original Version: 150GB+
    • Special Edition: 30-50GB
    • Special Edition: 50-100GB
    • Special Edition: 100-150GB
    • Special Edition: 150GB+

What total size has your installation of Fallout 4 and Skyrim reached after adding mods? I've been out of the loop for a good number of years on Skyrim and am playing Fallout 4 on console only right now.

________________________________________________________________________________________

I am currently buying parts for a new custom PC for Fallout 4 & Skyrim. Going to be doing either 4K or 1440p on 60fps everything maxed, HD textures DLC, tons of mods and possibly an ENB. Only parts still remaining to buy are GPU, mobo, SSD and monitor. Maybe a second or even a third small SSD just for Windows.

I'm currently thinking about what size SSD I'll need. My main SSD will be mainly dedicated to Fallout 4 & Skyrim plus mods for now, at least until TES VI is on the way. Ideally I will have both games with modded setups. Most games aren't too bad in terms of loading times so they'll go on the HDD. But for Skyrim and Fallout 4 I feel an SSD is mandatory to help mitigate the loading times.

PC Build: i7-7700k & GTX 1080/1080 Ti build.

• **CPU** | [intel Core i7-7700K 4.2GHz Quad-Core Processor]
  • **GPU** | [GTX 1080 8GB / maybe GTX 1080 Ti 11GB ] (Buying this second to last)
  • **Motherboard** | [MSI Z270-A PRO ATX LGA1151 Motherboard]
  • **Memory** | [G.Skill Ripjaws V Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) DDR4-3200 Memory]
  • **SSD** | [Mushkin Reactor 1TB 2.5" Solid State Drive]
  • **HDD** | [seagate Barracuda 2TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive]
  • **Case** | [Corsair 200R ATX Mid Tower Case]
  • **Power Supply** | [EVGA SuperNOVA G2 750W 80+ Gold]
  • **Operating System** | [Microsoft Windows 10 Home OEM 64-bit]
  • **Monitor** | [Asus PB287Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz Monitor] (Will be the last thing as I have a 1080p)
  • **Mouse** | [Logitech G502 Wired Optical Mouse]

On my old laptop my current Skyrim installation is 50GB though I haven't opened the game in years as it can barely handle low settings, the worst are the long loading times. Oblivion install is 105GB although I did remove a bunch of stuff a while back, it may have previously been closer to 150GB including a separate Nehrim installation with mods on it. Currently have Fallout 4 only on console. Loading times are really bad on all 3 and I find I end up switching to YuGiOh

My Skyrim SE data folder is 15.5 GB.

My Fallout 4 data folder is 27.7 GB.

I use very few mods for both games aside from my own, which contains no custom textures, etc.

Neither games are on my SSD because the total(max) capacity of my SSD is 125GB :/ So I put them on my 700GB drive.

I'd say for folks like you that will use a lot of mods, 250+.

Edit: I think an SSD just for Windows would be good. I didn't have that option since I use a laptop, so it chugged 50% of my SSD capacity out of the box >_>.

Edited by Lisselli

Steam folder is 65.8G. Got another folder for FO3 (26.3G) on the same C drive so I had to give up New Vegas. 250Gb SSD. If you plan on modding heavily - and can afford it- I'd go for a 500Gb SSD.

Steam folder is 65.8G. Got another folder for FO3 (26.3G) on the same C drive so I had to give up New Vegas. 250Gb SSD. If you plan on modding heavily - and can afford it- I'd go for a 500Gb SSD.

I think that might be the plan though I do worry if I might need 1TB? I haven't played Fallout 4 for PC yet so really don't know if it can add up more than in Skyrim.

My Skyrim SE data folder is 15.5 GB. My Fallout 4 data folder is 27.7 GB. I use very few mods for both games aside from my own, which contains no custom textures, etc. Neither games are on my SSD because the total(max) capacity of my SSD is 125GB :/ So I put them on my 700GB drive. I'd say for folks like you that will use a lot of mods, 250+.

Do you think 250GB might be safe? And is it bad for the SSD to frequently move stuff onto and off of it? I believe I can probably fit them within a 250GB but I might have to rotate stuff a lot. I have 2TB HDD so space isn't an issue for backups.

Edit: I think an SSD just for Windows would be good. I didn't have that option since I use a laptop, so it chugged 50% of my SSD capacity out of the box >_>.

Wow that's brutal. Yeah I'd plan to use a 125GB just for windows and I don't know, maybe blender/photoshop stuff if it helps them run faster. This is one big reason I'm going desktop only, so I can choose for each component. My games SSD will likely be 500GB/1TB. Maybe I'd buy a 250GB or something if I catch a sale. Money is tight and I'd kind of like to go up to a 1080 Ti.

My Skyrim SE data folder is 15.5 GB.

That reminds me, how is Skyrim SE as far as supporting the mods made for the original? Is there a Script Extender yet? If no and not good I think I might stick to the original.

My FO4 folder is currently sitting at 34.3GB (barely any mods installed) and my Oldrim folder is sitting at 15.4 GB (quite a few mods installed).

You'll probably do fine with a 250GB SSD. (Though personally I prefer to use a SSD for my OS and a HDD for my games.)

@ all of fftfan's questions directed towards me:

1.Put it this way, I don't think it's enough for Oldrim. Skyrim SE might not have that many mods with huge file sizes that you might want yet.
2. Skyrim SE supports all of Oldrim mods that do not depend on SKSE, but those mods needs to be ported over through the CK SE first.
3. There is no SKSE for Skyrim SE yet.

So in my opinion, if you want to play with SKSE mods, Oldrim is the way to go right now. But if you want a fresh start and a more stable game, give Skyrim SE a shot.

Edit: I just realized that you meant Oldrim the whole time. But my opinion stands.

Edited by Lisselli

As for heavy (game) use of an SSD. I gave my old rig to my wife when I built this one last year. And that -now- old 120Gb SSd has stood up to countless hours, well..... months.... of New Vegas, ever since the game came out (I got it in Dec 2010). And it still feels as sharp as the day I bought it. And I've had no hints of problems through a couple of new windows installs, several reinstalls of NV and general daily use of everything you use your PC for :smile:

My FO4 install is sitting right at 47.6 gigabytes, but that's after going through and repacking every single one of my mods in .ba2 archives instead of loose files, and 29.5 of that total is just the base game/DLC (Season Pass FTW). If I unpack all the archives, the size would probably close to double because of all the texture mods I've got, so let's say 100 gigs as loose files to give a little wiggle room.

Personally, I'd say go with a 250 gig SSD at the bare minimum, with a 1TB or larger hard drive to shuffle off the stuff you don't use/play but may not want to actually delete.

I'm kind of thinking of 3 plans:

1.Buy 250GB SSD like EVO 850 and maybe buy another later on. Maybe get a 120GB just for Windows.

• a. SSD 1: Fallout 4 & Oldrim & Windows 10 64bit until space runs low
  • b. Buy another 250GB -> one for Fallout 4, one for Oldrim. Windows 10 going with the smaller game
  • c. Buy a 120GB just for Windows as I know it gets bigger over time with the updates & shuffle less used mods onto the HDD

2.Buy 500GB SSD and maybe buy a basic 120GB eventually just for Windows

• a. 500GB SSD shared by Fallout 4, Oldrim & Win10
  • b. When space runs low Win 10 gets its own 120GB & shuffle less used mods onto the HDD

3.Use 2TB HDD for a while and get a 1TB SSD. I'd either get Mushkin Reactor which I think may be a bit of an offbrand or get Samsung EVO which costs significantly more. The big catch is it'll take a while to save up for as the 1TB Samsung EVOs are $410+ or 850 EVO or $643+ for 960 EVO, Mushkin Reactor is $330-350. It might be fall/winter as I'm also buying a $600 4K monitor at some point.

Does cloning drives to move Windows a lot cause problems? I might start out using 2TB HDD then clone it to move Windows to an SSD, and then if it fills up move Windows again to a 120GB SSD.

I waited until 1TB Sata SSDs got to the $250 range or about the same price as a performance HD before I bought them. They run fine but my next one will be an M.2.

Before I used SSDs I used WD Raptors. I tried to replace the Raptor with a WD Black but my modded game was unplayable on it. Putting it on a SSD made it playable again.

For a 4k monitor, go with a Samsung or Asus 28" 60hz TN panel. Even my 2X 980 ti rig is not fast enough to power a high refresh rate 4k monitor & that setup is a lot faster than my GTX 1080.
You can get either one on sale at around $350.

Both these monitors scale to 1440 perfectly & even with a GTX 1080 you would need to drop the resolution with some games.

If you really want to spend about $600 on a monitor & don't need high refresh rates go 3440 X 1440. These types of games look better on them.

Later