Total game size for Fallout 4/Skyrim? Recommended SSD size for Fallout 4 & Skyrim?

fftfan

Total game size including mods for FO4 & Skyrim? Which size SSD to use for both?  

9 members have voted

1. 1. What size SSD recommended for modded Fallout 4 & Skyrim SE plus maybe a few others

• 120GB
    • 250GB
    • 250GB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 500GB
    • 500GB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 1TB
    • 1TB (Windows on a separate SSD)
    • 2TB or more
  2. 2. What size is your Fallout 4 folder?

• 30GB or less. (Few if any mods)
    • 30-50GB
    • 50-100GB
    • 100-150GB
    • 150-250GB
    • 250-500GB
    • 500GB+
  3. 3. What size is your Skyrim/Skyrim SE folder?

• I'm running Vanilla on either SE or 2011 version
    • Original Version: 30GB or less
    • Original Version: 30-50GB
    • Original Version: 50-100GB
    • Original Version: 100-150GB
    • Original Version: 150GB+
    • Special Edition: 30-50GB
    • Special Edition: 50-100GB
    • Special Edition: 100-150GB
    • Special Edition: 150GB+

Oh I should have clarified but I live in Canada and often times prices are 50% higher or even more compared to in the US.

Asus PB287Q 28.0" 3840x2160 60Hz

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/r9h9TW/asus-monitor-pb287q

I waited until 1TB Sata SSDs got to the $250 range or about the same price as a performance HD before I bought them. They run fine but my next one will be an M.2.

Cheapest 1TB SSD here right now is Mushkin Reactor for $329 and most others are around $400 and up. And I am not entirely sure if Mushkin is a reputable brand.

For a 4k monitor, go with a Samsung or Asus 28" 60hz TN panel. Even my 2X 980 ti rig is not fast enough to power a high refresh rate 4k monitor & that setup is a lot faster than my GTX 1080.

You can get either one on sale at around $350.

Both these monitors scale to 1440 perfectly & even with a GTX 1080 you would need to drop the resolution with some games.

If you really want to spend about $600 on a monitor & don't need high refresh rates go 3440 X 1440. These types of games look better on them.

Later

$579 for the Asus PB287Q 28.0". Cheapest it's been is like $499 plus tax & shipping. I might get a 1440p instead but probably will wait and save up for the 4K, I have a 1080p I can use for now.

How is this Samsung? I just checked the filtered monitor list and it popped up as the cheapest result.

https://ca.pcpartpicker.com/product/jNqbt6/samsung-monitor-lu28e590dsza

I think this might be the one I'm getting, still have to buy GTX 1080 and Z270 motherboard first before I can get PC running but that might be next. It's just a matter if the price would stay there for a while. According to the graph the price fluctuates between there and $650.

I have Fallout4 + 85 mods, that's 109GBs, and SkyrimSE and all the Myst games + a couple more games and Windows 10 on a 476 GB SSD and I have 150 GBs left. There is always one more texture mod that adds just that last detail. If you just have games that's doable, I have no videos, music, or other programs installed other than Malwarebytes and some monitoring programs.

• 1 year later...

SSD drives are appoaching 120GB for 10 quid. And one can 'hot swap' SSD drives in a 'big tin' PC (or with a USB adapter for a lappy, I think). It occured to me that they are the closest we have to the 'new floppy'.

120GB is too small these days to stick in your PC- but one of these drives could easily hold all your Skyrim or Fallout 4 ambitions. Obviously a lot of the save game state data would still reside on the main PC drive- I don't know if either game can be forced to be 'portable' (where all the app files are forced to live on the removable drive).

Of course we were glad to see an end to floppies, CDs and then DVDs, since it is so much more convenient to have the files always accessible on a big Hard Drive (or NAS cluster these days). But there is still something 'FUN' in the idea that a full modded no compromise Fallout 4 experience can live on a cheap removable format.

And for many naive PC gamers- and a lot of Beth open world players are non-teccy- the idea that your precious game can be held in your hand rather than tied tpo a PC you may need to replace, would ne very compelling. Oh, for sure, those of us who have been building their own PC for far longer than most people have been playing computer games, migrating stuff from one PC to another is nothing. But a good chunk of PC users literally 'upgrade' when updates and trojans have made their current machine so slow and chuggy, they have no choice.

Knowing then that your beloved mega-modded Skyrim or Fallout 4 lives independently from a machine that one day will be binned is reassuring. And it ain't as if 'new' games from Beth are ever going to take the place of Skyrim or Fallout 4, now that Beth is out of that market forever.

PS off topic, but on topic- there's an announcement coming from those that INVENTED Fallout (and are now funded by Microsoft to the nth degree) of a new Fallout style RPG that is either future retro from the 1920s or late Victorian era. Fingers croosed that it is first/third person rather than isometric. Space 1889 or Jazz-age-punk. Now Beth is dead in the water and on fire from stem to stern, the future of our games lies with anyone but Beth. The ambition of Fallout 4 is so astonishingly low, even a well motivated, well funded small indy team can trivially hope to do far better with today's hardware (Fallout 4 was stymied by spending most of its life as a title targeted at the PS3, which was its main platform until the game was so late the PS3 became obsolete).

I think its also possible that a new dev MIGHT support our type of modding in their new open world title to win what Beth benefited from for so long before it gave everything up. Good will for a new franchise at its difficult birth is everything. Maybe this new MS backed title won't do this- but the whole point of the SSD drive discussion is that things are far different today- what was once hard to code because of meagre resources in storage, RAM, processing and graphics power is now trivial.

Hopefully the Nexus will help keep Skyrim and Fallout 4 alive- but if our genre is to have a future it needs new blood. The reply above me is taking about 4K (???) which reminds me of the parables of new wine and old bottles (or vice versa)? and new patches and old clothers (or vice versa?). I mean nothing you can do to Fallout 4 or Skyrim makes either of these games good in 4K. Seeing in the greatest number of pixels the horrific visual limitations of an old game- no thanks.

There are new tech innovations that make sense for Fallout 4 and Skyrim, tho- and having the game 'portable' on a removable SSD drive is one of them. And its not just flash prices tumbling. Black Friday saw VR drop to just over 100 quid (very very big grin). VR Skyrim here I come.